• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

First, I am not a fan of Figjam Phil. That said, his double was way more easy to defend than Monty's because Phil was Phil. He'd been wild with the driver all day but still pulled driver and proceeded to hit it into corporate tent jail. Then, instead of pitching it back in the fairway, he stayed true to form and went for the green on a typical Phil hero shot and hit a tree. That's why Monty's choke was so much more sumptuous. Dude was in the middle of the fairway with a 7 or 8 iron and chunked it into the rough 20-25 yards short, and took 4 more shots from there. Not quite van de Veldian, but still pretty epic. And given that Monty is probably my most hated golfer ever, that was some of my favorite 7-8 minutes of golf action.

And that's not the only tough hole. My recollection was that course was extremely tough, and you don't have to trick it up to keep scores around par. I think Ogilvy won it with +5. That's Harrington at 40 mph winds Birkdale territory. Looking forward to next week.

Monty with a mid-iron during his prime was a guaranteed GIR. His reaction after hitting it ("What kind of shot is that?") and the result left no doubt that he had absolutely choked it away. It was a 15-handicap shot. But to make 6 from just short of the green was almost worse than the shot. Phil just played a Philsaster hole at the worst time possible. Great drama and +6 took it home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWl3FJN4ITg

Found a flyover of Winged Foot from the back tees. Looks like it's been lengthened since 2006 and is a monster. One shortish par 3, the rest > 200, mostly long par 4s with 1 that could be driveable and 1 that's shortish that will give options, and 2 par 5s with only 1 appearing reachable. The greens look to have a fair amount of slope back to front, and many are more rectangularish than oval. Really tough test no matter what, though I guess the question will be how lush is the rough. If it's thick and penal, I can't see anyone under par.

Deacz, yeah, Monty's pitch was impossible to get close, but it wasn't a good pitch either, leaving a long, downhill putt that was almost impossible to stop. That pin placement in that middle right edge of the green was pretty brutal. I remember Ogilvy hit an almost good 2nd shot that came back off the false front, and he hit a great chip to salvage par.

Thanks for posting those - should be an awesome test.

I love Pinehurst #2, but no course other than Oakmont deserves a US Open every 6 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVfuJJ1Sfw

Another video to put a smile on your faces. Monty playing the 18th at Winged Foot after hitting a bomb for birdie on 17. I always hated Seve and Sir Nick as well, but Monty is the guy I've always hated the most. The approach putt was shorter than I remembered it being, but he sloppily ran it a good 8-9' past. Had he lagged it properly, he would have been in a playoff.

I've complained on here before about how poorly managed the last US Open at #2 was from a crowd perspective. Hopefully they've got a better plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVfuJJ1Sfw

Another video to put a smile on your faces. Monty playing the 18th at Winged Foot after hitting a bomb for birdie on 17. I always hated Seve and Sir Nick as well, but Monty is the guy I've always hated the most. The approach putt was shorter than I remembered it being, but he sloppily ran it a good 8-9' past. Had he lagged it properly, he would have been in a playoff.

171 yards from the middle of the fairway with a pin position favoring his shot shape and he hits it in the one spot you can't miss it. Then hits a poor first putt that he needed to two putt. Guhhh.

He switched clubs just before his shot. In between a 7 and 6 in those days? I wonder which club he hit.

Yes. Winged Foot and Shinnecock belong in a tighter rota as well. Oak Hill and Oakland Hills have been recently restored to their Ross beginnings (eliminating the ugly RTJ and Fazio marks). And of course Bethpage Black. Get back to the days of beastly old US Open tracks with the occasional newbie thrown in there.

I've complained on here before about how poorly managed the last US Open at #2 was from a crowd perspective. Hopefully they've got a better plan.

Didn’t help that it was dry and dusty as hell. Certainly made being packed like sardines into terrible little viewing areas all the more enjoyable.

I'd be okay with the USGA just doing a rotation of the Monterey Peninsula courses. A prime-time East coast finish every year would make for great TV ratings.

I'd love to see 1 at Spyglass, which always plays tougher than Pebble in the February pro-am. The reason I've heard why they haven't had 1 there is it's a terrible stadium course for fans. But my thought is if you can have a major at the Ocean Course, why not have 1 at Spyglass.

I'd love to see 1 at Spyglass, which always plays tougher than Pebble in the February pro-am. The reason I've heard why they haven't had 1 there is it's a terrible stadium course for fans. But my thought is if you can have a major at the Ocean Course, why not have 1 at Spyglass.

Agreed. The Ocean Course is anything but fan friendly and a long shuttle ride for most before you even get to the course. A great setting for a made-for-TV event.

FWIW, after Winged Foot, here are the locales for the next 7 US Opens:

2021: TORREY PINES GOLF COURSE (SOUTH COURSE) - SAN DIEGO, CALIF. - JUNE 17-20
2022: THE COUNTRY CLUB - THE COUNTRY CLUB - BROOKLINE, MASS. - JUNE 16-19
2023: THE LOS ANGELES COUNTRY CLUB (NORTH COURSE) - LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - JUNE 15-18
2024: PINEHURST RESORT & COUNTRY CLUB (COURSE NO. 2) - VILLAGE OF PINEHURST, N.C. - JUNE 13-16
2025: OAKMONT COUNTRY CLUB - OAKMONT, PA. - JUNE 12-15
2026: SHINNECOCK HILLS GOLF CLUB - SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y. - JUNE 18-21
2027: PEBBLE BEACH GOLF LINKS - PEBBLE BEACH, CALIF. - JUNE 17-20

I live about a mile from Brookline CC currently. If I’m still in the area in two years I’m amped to go watch.

Back