• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I was paired with Rickie at the Wells Fargo a few years ago and he was the nicest, friendliest, coolest, and fun guy I think I've ever been around. I was sad when the round was over. It was the year he was leading going into Sunday but played poorly Sunday and lost. he's awesome. But he's finished in all likelihood as far as winning on the PGA Tour so he may as well go provide for his family for a year or two until LIV folds. But Rickie has been replaced by several other guys on Tour just like him so nobody cares he's not going to be playing the PGA Tour. I do think it hurts his image some. Not necessarily because of the Saudi connection but because it comes across as a non-golf move. Fans want their athletes to be about winning and matching up against the best not just in the present, but in the past. If a player goes to LIV it is 100% about the paycheck. Its just not as romantic for fans.

I agree with everything you're saying, however I'd offer 1 friendly amendment. It certainly isn't as romantic for the majority of golf fans. But there is a smaller contingent of golf fans who back Phil and Greg and who are aggrieved by the PGA's "obnoxious greed". I do not believe this small contingent is as well informed as most golf fans, but it does exist. And I see this contingent following the LIV tour, to the extent it is televised and covered and maybe not following the PGA as much.

The PGA Tour has a handbook which identifies the requirements to qualify to play on tour and the steps that a player must take to remain in good standing on tour. Among the things a player can't do is play in another professional golf event at the same time as a PGA tour event without the consent of the PGA Board. Clearly, DJ, Gooch, Sergio and the others, except for Na who resigned, broke the rule as PGA Tour players after the PGA Board denied their request for an exemption, and went ahead and played for the Saudis anyway.

The language in the handbook about the grounds to terminate or suspend a player is:

"If in the judgment of PGA TOUR Board he commits a serious breach of these Regulations, the Rules of Golf, the PGA Code of Ethics, or conducts himself in a manner unbecoming a professional golfer."

The issue comes down to whether the PGA Tour correctly applied the rule (which they did as playing in a competing event without a waiver violates the PGA Player regs), and whether the rule prohibiting players from competing in rival tours is enforceable. Don't think the answer is a slam dunk for either side, but it would seem that the PGA has the better argument as the PGA Tour has a reasonable interest in protecting the quality of its fields, and as stated above, there are other tours, including LIV, where golfers can seek to earn a living. Further, there are opportunities, which every PGA player has taken advantage of, to play and earn money in non-PGA sponsored golf events. So, it's not like as soon as a player earns his Tour Card his only avenue to make a living is via PGA Tour. He can earn money outside a tour, but not just events that are played during the same time as a PGA event without permission. The players that went rogue can claim that the Tour is haphazardly and unfairly granting exemptions as it has previously allowed players to play in other events (e.g., Harold Varner III beat Bubba Watson is an international golf event earlier this past Winter on the same weekend as a PGA event).

It seems to me that the financial strength of the Saudi Tour is actually an argument that hurts the players' argument that they should be able to play in whatever events they want as it's pretty hard to for DJ to claim he's hurt by the PGA Tour's rule as he took $125 million to play on a rival tour. I'm sure every player that jumped to the Saudi Tour took more money from the Saudis than they ever made on the PGA Tour; so, what's their damages? They are all in a better financial position then those rubes that stayed on the PGA Tour.

So what if DJ and Sergio can't play in the John Deere Classic ever again? Is that going to be the damage claim?

If those players try to make the argument that the PGA rule may keep them from playing in the Masters and US Open, then, because the PGA doesn't control either of those organizations, the players will need to sue those organizations as well.

Seems like the players that want to play on the LIV Tour should resign like Na did. If that LIV folds, they can apply for re-instatement and after a brief suspension it would be granted. Looking for the Courts to resolve this will only result in lawyers getting richer...

Last edited:
Now that Covid is "over," I'd like to see guitardeac match play versus donaldross.

That would be much more exciting than a Korn Ferry tournament.

From an employment perspective, while judges generally disfavor noncompetes that keep people from employing their skill after they have left a current employment situation, judges probably are not going to hate a rule that says while you still work for Employer A, you can't go and work for Employer B during business hours for Employer A. "Hey boss, I'm not coming in to work today. I'm going to work for this other guy today but I'll be back in tomorrow." It has an impact on the reliability and brand of Business A. And your coworkers at Business A might not be too happy with you.

Yes, I'm a single digit handicapper and I've attend 57 majors in person. What the heck does that have to do with this discussion? But sure....yes.

You are not a single digit handicapper and haven't broken 80 in your last 20 rounds. I'll give you 9 shots and play for any amount of money you want. Deal?

What happens when the Rocket Mortgage wants to give their fan favorite, Rickie, a sponsor's exemption? (and they will want to)

Maybe the tour doesn't allow it this year in some hidden backroom deal but seems like next season we are going to be taking up all 6 sponsor's invites every week with LIV players. Probably more sponsor's exemptions will be coming as a way to accommodate this.

You are not a single digit handicapper and haven't broken 80 in your last 20 rounds. I'll give you 9 shots and play for any amount of money you want. Deal?

Unless your name is Scott Harvey or Alex Smalley, sure I will take on anyone in the Triad and get 9 shots. Hit me after I get back from two Open championships. Where I will be rooting for Kevin Na.

giphy.gif

Unless your name is Scott Harvey or Alex Smalley, sure I will take on anyone in the Triad and get 9 shots. Hit me after I get back from two Open championships. Where I will be rooting for Kevin Na.

I'm in Charlotte. Meet you at Old North State (I think we're both reciprocal members). Tips OK with you?

Mickelson's playing in the inaugural LIV event in London. Is DR attending?

I certainly haven't been impressed by the 1st LIV field and of course hope it fails miserably. But the 1 defection to LIV that I hate seeing is that Jerry Foltz is going to be their booth announcer. Can NBC get a 1 for 1 trade with LIV trading Azinger for Foltz?

I want to beat donaldross in a match (I will give him the 9) and biff be there a la early Amy Mickelson on the 18th green to jump in my arms.

A man can dream.

Can anyone get in on this deal?

Can anyone get in on this deal?

This grudge challenge did not end well for Liquid Karma a few years back. He lost in the flat. Admittedly that was at Sedgefield where I have an obvious advantage. He was about a +1 at the time. I don’t pretend to be anything other than around a 9. I did shoot 75 at Oakmont last Summer. But I also shoot 90 on occasion.

Last edited:
Back