• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Peak tourney winning age is 35, Rory still has 2 years until then. Considering how fit he is I can't see him losing any significant distance or strength for at least another decade. I could see this loss being his wake up call to really go hard at his putting issues, will probably get to 10 majors and personally I'd take the over on 10.

Doesn't he already go hard at his putting? Employs and is tight with Brad Faxon, who is the go-to Tour putting guru.

Peak tourney winning age is 35, Rory still has 2 years until then. Considering how fit he is I can't see him losing any significant distance or strength for at least another decade. I could see this loss being his wake up call to really go hard at his putting issues, will probably get to 10 majors and personally I'd take the over on 10.

I’d take the under because he’s had plenty of time to figure it out. Based on his track record didn’t we all have a gut feeling he probably wouldn’t hold onto the lead? The other reason I’d take the under is all the impressive competition he’ll have moving forward. Tons of talent out there.

Taking over 10 majors for Rory is WILD. He hasn't won in almost a decade. He may pick a few off in his later years but peak winning is not 35 anymore. It's getting younger and younger, no one over 30 won a major this year.

Taking over 10 majors for Rory is WILD. He hasn't won in almost a decade. He may pick a few off in his later years but peak winning is not 35 anymore. It's getting younger and younger, no one over 30 won a major this year.

Yeah that seems really ambitious to me too. Basically saying he expects Rory to win 1 out of every 6 majors for the next 10 years.

Rory isn't winning 6 more majors unless every other top 10 golfer goes to LIV, and he has no competition. There are so many great young golfers (every major winner this year is in their 20s -- significantly younger than Rory); only going to get tougher to accumulate major titles.

Someone posted it a few pages back, but, in my uninformed opinion, Rory really needs to go back to a blade putter. In absolute terms he didn't putt poorly, but was -1.25 strokes gained on putting. If he's going to start winning majors again he needs to accept that getting hot with a blade is probably part of the recipe for him because the safety of consistently 2-putting with the spider isn't getting it done.

FX9l4qAXgAEJYp-

Someone posted it a few pages back, but, in my uninformed opinion, Rory really needs to go back to a blade putter. In absolute terms he didn't putt poorly, but was -1.25 strokes gained on putting. If he's going to start winning majors again he needs to accept that getting hot with a blade is probably part of the recipe for him because the safety of consistently 2-putting with the spider isn't getting it done.

Meh. I agree that his putting Sunday wasn't good enough, but this is probably a bit harsh on Rory.

Cam Smith shot a 30 on the back nine, Cam Young shot a 31 on the back nine, and that's what it took to beat Rory. They both entered the back nine at -14, so the fact that Rory ended at -18 and lost is a credit to them more than it's Rory choking. Rory was three strokes clear of both Smith/Young on the tee box at 10, and he was two clear of Hovland. So it's hard to say he should have been more aggressive, although hindsight is 20/20.

Major pull for LIV. Feherty is great at what he does. Very disappointing to hear. If they stick with their current format, it is hard to imagine even Feherty could make it much more interesting to watch.

i thought rory played not to lose yesterday - and that bit him in the ass when cam smith got hot

Yea, Rory seemed to play very defensive all day. It seemed like he was really just concerned with what Hovland was doing and trying to stay in front of him until it was too late.

And, my lord can Cam Smith putt.

Meh. I agree that his putting Sunday wasn't good enough, but this is probably a bit harsh on Rory.

Cam Smith shot a 30 on the back nine, Cam Young shot a 31 on the back nine, and that's what it took to beat Rory. They both entered the back nine at -14, so the fact that Rory ended at -18 and lost is a credit to them more than it's Rory choking. Rory was three strokes clear of both Smith/Young on the tee box at 10, and he was two clear of Hovland. So it's hard to say he should have been more aggressive, although hindsight is 20/20.

Definitely agree that Rory didn't play poorly and this was by no means a choke job. The Cams were lights out yesterday. If Rory had barfed up a 78 or something it would be a different story, but that didn't happen.

More of what I'm getting at is that putting 36 times on Sunday isn't enough to get it done in most majors, especially on a course where there were low scores of 64, 64, and 65 in rounds 1-3, respectively, and two of the guys within striking distance of you are responsible for the 64s (and subsequently posted a 64 and 65 on Sunday).

Definitely agree that Rory didn't play poorly and this was by no means a choke job. The Cams were lights out yesterday. If Rory had barfed up a 78 or something it would be a different story, but that didn't happen.

More of what I'm getting at is that putting 36 times on Sunday isn't enough to get it done in most majors, especially on a course where there were low scores of 64, 64, and 65 in rounds 1-3, respectively, and two of the guys within striking distance of you are responsible for the 64s (and subsequently posted a 64 and 65 on Sunday).

I think it was kind of a case where Rory was playing conservatively to start since Hovland wasn't playing all that well and also to see if anyone from behind would make a charge and by the time the charge by Smith and Young heated up on the back 9, is was hard for Rory to switch to a more aggressive mode. He certainly didn't lose it, but not being a couple more under par on the front definitely opened the door.

i thought rory played not to lose yesterday - and that bit him in the ass when cam smith got hot

I think Rory became the first player ever in the history of golf to hit every green with the lead at a major on a Sunday and still lose. He didn't have a single one putt and he still almost won.

Also, in no way am I saying over 10 majors for him is likely or a safe bet or anything, I'm just saying personally I think he'll make a run and get there. If he were to go winless again next year in the majors, he'd still be 4 ahead of Phil's pace and he ended up with 6 despite being incredibly inconsistent. He's the best player in golf by far minus the putter, finished 2/3/5/8 in the majors this year, and his prime golf is statistically ahead of him. He has 4 consecutive top 10's in the US Open and 4 top 5's in the last 6 Open Championships.

My guess is Rory has somewhere between 50 and 60 more majors to play while he's still a threat to win. For the past 5 years he's been top 10 in 60% of them. 6 or more wins is very doable.

I think Rory became the first player ever in the history of golf to hit every green with the lead at a major on a Sunday and still lose. He didn't have a single one putt and he still almost won.

Also, in no way am I saying over 10 majors for him is likely or a safe bet or anything, I'm just saying personally I think he'll make a run and get there. If he were to go winless again next year in the majors, he'd still be 4 ahead of Phil's pace and he ended up with 6 despite being incredibly inconsistent. He's the best player in golf by far minus the putter, finished 2/3/5/8 in the majors this year, and his prime golf is statistically ahead of him. He has 4 consecutive top 10's in the US Open and 4 top 5's in the last 6 Open Championships.

My guess is Rory has somewhere between 50 and 60 more majors to play while he's still a threat to win. For the past 5 years he's been top 10 in 60% of them. 6 or more wins is very doable.

I agree with all of this. And Rory is just the best driver in golf, and these courses are just getting so long. The fact that he was able to almost win on a course in The Old Course that sort of takes that advantage away and plays to his weaknesses was very impressive. I'm with DCDeac, I think he could go on a major run and win a handful of them rather quickly.

Rickie Fowler also finished top ten (think it was actually top 5) in all four majors several years back. No given Rory's current form will carry over to next year.

True. Although Rickie’s game was sort of opposite to Rory’s. Rickie has always relied a great deal on his putter. And as a result Rickie made some pretty major swing changes that so far have not seemed to play out well in tournaments. I hope he gets it all turned around.

Or another way to think about it - Ricky and Rory are only a few months apart in age and turned pro within a year of each other. Both are roughly half way through their lifetime of competitive majors that they're eligible to play in. Rory has 4, Ricky has zero. So you'd expect Rory to finish around 8 and Ricky at 0.

Back