• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

By my count, 12 LIV guys played. 8 missed the cut, and 1 contended, though faded on the back 8 the last 2 days. LIV is not about competition. It's about getting paid up front and complacency.

Well your count is wrong. 3 of the top 11 alone are already on LIV. That’s about the reality. LIV a has about 1/3 of the top players already.

It cannot be wished away and never could. The strategy to handle LIV failed and it only put the PGA Tour in a much worse position. Now Monahan is having to negotiate with LIV from a position of huge weakness. Best to apologize to them.

And yes, Jay, when courts are having to tell you that you are acting illegally, it is embarrassing to be associated with the PGA Tour.

Well your count is wrong. 3 of the top 11 alone are already on LIV. That’s about the reality. LIV a has about 1/3 of the top players already.

It cannot be wished away and never could. The strategy to handle LIV failed and it only put the PGA Tour in a much worse position. Now Monahan is having to negotiate with LIV from a position of huge weakness. Best to apologize to them.

And yes, Jay, when courts are having to tell you that you are acting illegally, it is embarrassing to be associated with the PGA Tour.

Did LIV approach the PGA? What was their offer? I've only heard of a rival golf league for a few years. No mention of any joint venture or collaboration with LIV and the PGA tour. If you know more I'd be curious to hear it.

Unless there's something I'm not aware of, no court has told the PGA anything. Apparently the DOJ is investigating, but nothing more at this point.

Of course Monahan is talking to them now.

And yes, the Court told the PGA Tour they had to include the players in their event in North Berwick. It’s the same common law there as here. And the test for an injunction, substantial likelihood on the merits.

Of course Monahan is talking to them now.

And yes, the Court told the PGA Tour they had to include the players in their event in North Berwick. It’s the same common law there as here. And the test for an injunction, substantial likelihood on the merits.

Which court? Federal or state? Do you have a copy of an Order?

Jesus. I haven’t looked at this thread in a few days, just came back hoping for a bunch of interesting conversation about the Open, but looks like we’re still stuck in a circle jerk about the merits of filing injunctions in Palm Beach civil court blah blah blah. Can one of the four people here who seem to have made this thread a pissing contest with donaldross please just go start a LIV golf thread and take that bullshit over there, and then we can actually talk golf here?

I think a Judge ordered a stay and allowed three golfers to play in The Open. The matter has yet to be adjudicated.

I think a Judge ordered a stay and allowed three golfers to play in The Open. The matter has yet to be adjudicated.

Preliminary injunctive relief preserves the status quo. And Ian Poulter proceeded to miss the cut, which is definitely status quo.

If LIV pulls Smith, that would be a big get.

Yeah if Cam goes that would further solidify the profile of a player with multiple years of exemptions into all the majors taking the payday because they don't need points or PGA wins. Plus he's not American.

Would really love to see Augusta announce that for 2022 all exemptions will be subject to a review process, but announce no other details. Just stir the pot a bit.

Talor Gooch saying he wanted to just play one LIV event then come back to the PGA Tour was laughable this week as well if anyone missed that. There's almost no way that's true, yet at the same time he just threw away his legitimate shot at the FedEx Cup and $17M. Maybe he really is just an idiot. He did compare the last LIV event to the Ryder Cup saying they were pretty much the same, so yeah maybe idiot.

That was an all time putting round from Cam yesterday. Goes into the category of Retief Goosen at Shinnicock. His putting stroke is a thing of beauty. On the flipside, I know Rory said the right things after the round, but man that was devastating for him. I feel like he is the only guy playing right now with potential to get to 10+ majors and be on the Mt. Rushmore of golf, but I think it's slipping away for him. Just not good enough with wedges and the putter too often.

That was an all time putting round from Cam yesterday. Goes into the category of Retief Goosen at Shinnicock. His putting stroke is a thing of beauty. On the flipside, I know Rory said the right things after the round, but man that was devastating for him. I feel like he is the only guy playing right now with potential to get to 10+ majors and be on the Mt. Rushmore of golf, but I think it's slipping away for him. Just not good enough with wedges and the putter too often.

It also reminded me of Nicklaus's back nine 30 at Augusta in 86, when Jack was making all those putts.

Last edited:
Peak tourney winning age is 35, Rory still has 2 years until then. Considering how fit he is I can't see him losing any significant distance or strength for at least another decade. I could see this loss being his wake up call to really go hard at his putting issues, will probably get to 10 majors and personally I'd take the over on 10.

Backdooring a top 10 is not contending. DJ contended and then faded on the back 9. DeChambeau was not in contention to win it on Sunday. And for a LIV tour that's so great, 33% making the cut is not exactly stellar. Koepka in particular has been playing the worst golf of his life since the pandemic hit. He was the best golfer in the world from 2017-19, but now he missed the cut by a wide margin on a course that should be right in his wheelhouse. I used to like the guy, but he's really become 1 of the larger douches on tour the last few years.

Back