• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Next year it will be invite only from the Saudi's guest list, so no worries there.

Sometimes I think the USGA would be better off just having a roto of course like Pebble, Winged Foot, Shinnecock, Olympic, Pinehurst, Oakmont, The Country Club, Bethpage and maybe Merion, instead of trying to spread the love to some of these places like Erin Hills, Chambers Bay and LA CC. However, as far as the course, if the USGA had tightened up the fairways at LA CC I think it would've been fine. The lack of crowds is anothe issue however.

Sometimes I think the USGA would be better off just having a roto of course like Pebble, Winged Foot, Shinnecock, Olympic, Pinehurst, Oakmont, The Country Club, Bethpage and maybe Merion, instead of trying to spread the love to some of these places like Erin Hills, Chambers Bay and LA CC. However, as far as the course, if the USGA had tightened up the fairways at LA CC I think it would've been fine. The lack of crowds is anothe issue however.
I love most of the old courses, though not Baltusrol where the women are playing the KPMG this week. But I like mixing in a new course here or there, and I liked the aesthetic of both Chambers Bay and Erin Hills. The problem with Erin Hills is Koepka went low and lapped the field because there was no wind. And Chambers Bay was gorgeous in a moonscape kind of way, but the problem there was Mike Davis murdered 18 greens. I think they have since gone from fescue greens to something that can withstand heat - I believe poa.

This is probably what they need to do, and just leverage the PGA, Ryder Cup, and elevated events to promote other courses. Looks at how Quail Hollow operates - an ongoing adaptation to tour-level play that has yearly feedback so you know what to expect, they don't have to speculate.

I wish, so much, that they would experiment with watering fairways and cutting them slightly longer (ie, not a 10 on the stimp) while letting the green complexes dry out and play firm. The idea that lightning fast fairways hurt the players by feeding drives into the rough is just an archaic approach. Slow the fairways down, make the first cut an actual negative, make the rough a real problem, and make furrowed bunkers the standard. Courses only need to be par 70 at 7,800 yards if drives are running out 80 yards - look at Augusta when it's a little wet and windy but they keep the greens dry with sub-air, in the past decade 6 Masters winners haven't done better than -10 despite immaculate conditions and tons of historic course knowledge.

Reifers follows up his Top 40 at the Travelers with a 64 today to take the top Monday qualifier spot for this week's Rocket Mortgage. No bogeys, birdied 6 of his last 8 holes. Definitely has something clicking right now, good to see.

This may be the worst event on the Tour. The course is god awful (easy, no elevation, ridiculously weird 3-1-3 challenge that's impossible to complete). I mean I'll still watch as always but it's just not particularly entertaining at all.

ETA: The 3M may give it a run for its money. Honestly the John Deere may too but they seem to have quite the local support

This may be the worst event on the Tour. The course is god awful (easy, no elevation, ridiculously weird 3-1-3 challenge that's impossible to complete). I mean I'll still watch as always but it's just not particularly entertaining at all.

ETA: The 3M may give it a run for its money. Honestly the John Deere may too but they seem to have quite the local support

Yeah this is just a terrible event with no redeemable qualities. Would've been a great course to get in the rotation in the 1960's, but not in 2020.

We're in that summer phase of the tour where none of the events are on interesting courses. The 3M course is the worst, followed by the Deere, then the Detroit and CT courses (with all due respect to Ross and Pete & Alice - not their best). I watched the KPMG last weekend and just turned to Hartford on commercials. The DP is at the Belfry this weekend if you want to watch a cool layout that used to host the RC, and next week in Denmark isn't bad either. And 7/6-9 has the women's US Open at Pebble, where Zhang went low in college. And if Lexi gets in contention, you'll get to see her choke, and that's always heartwarming. So try those alternatives.

If anyone ever actually completes the 3-1-3 challenge they should name the event after them. It would have to be one of the biggest accomplishments in golf history. They might as well make the donation $3,130,000,000 since nobody is pulling it off.

Yeah it should be a ridiculous payout compared to whatever it actually is.

Another way to do it is to have the 3-1-3 challenge be across the tournament so you have four rounds to do it. I doubt anybody does it still but at least there's more of an opportunity.

I've got a few bets on it to make it more interesting.

Fowler 17-1 (boosted)
Sam Stevens 70-1 (doubled his last to shoot 70 today)
Dylan Wu 130-1
Mark Hubbard 80-1
Austin Eckroat 50-1
Kevin Yu 90-1

Had a live boost available and just snagged Aberg boosted to 16-1 as well (sitting at -6)

I placed my Aberg live bet half an hour ago and can already cash it out for double what I bet. He hasn't missed a fairway or green yet and just chipped in for eagle.

Aberg just bogeyed his next two holes after slapping yourself on the back. I'm on Aberg too; don't mess with betting karma like that.

Last edited:
Aberg just bogeyed his next hole after slapping yourself on the back. I'm on Aberg too; don't mess with betting karma like that.

Should've just cashed it out for the double up! Finished bogey bogey and I've set him on a downward spiral.

The 9th green is rough. Hole is cut into the ridge it seems.

Live odds for the morning guys that are done: Morikawa +700, Fowler +1000, Aberg +1000, Rai +1200.

FWIW, cashing out is typically not a great option. The book's "take-out" of the cash out option is always worse than the actual odds that the team/player that you have of winning at that point in time (that's why books offer the cash out; they aren't going to give the bettor a premium). In most instances, if you are uninclined to hedge, you can make more by trying to middle in team sport, or taking the other contenders to win in a individual sport.

With all that said, on Thursday morning of a four day PGA event, that isn't really an option since half the field hasn't even tee'd off yet. Winning a golf tournament is hard; crazy to think that any golfer has an edge on Thursday morning. Numbers, I love your takes, but jocking Adberg like that during his first round was beneath you.

Back