• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

He only had like 210 to 16 for his second shot and elected to lay up. Coming out of the rough, his lie might not have been very good. It looked to me like he hit 3 wood off the tee on 18 but maybe not. Odd down 2 needing birdie on a long hole if he did hit 3 wood.

Yeah, I think down 2 you've got to take a shot at going for the green on 16. Sure you can dunk it in the water, but depending on where a water shot would've crossed the hazzard, he still could've had a decent chance to save par which he made anyway. Looked like it would've been worth the risk in that situation. I think it just shows he doesn't have confidence in his ball striking and the shank on 18 and others he's hit before would seem to support that. Still, you're a pro and if you want to win, you've got to go for it, especially if you hold yourself out to be a world class player.

Anyone else wonder how did Cabrera Bello only have ~200 yards into 18? He snap hooked a 3 wood that looked to cross the hazard not long after he hit it. The hole is 450 yards. Don't see any chance that ball traveled ~250 yards before crossing the hazard line.

One of the more incredible finishes you'll ever see though, either way.

Anyone else wonder how did Cabrera Bello only have ~200 yards into 18? He snap hooked a 3 wood that looked to cross the hazard not long after he hit it. The hole is 450 yards. Don't see any chance that ball traveled ~250 yards before crossing the hazard line.

One of the more incredible finishes you'll ever see though, either way.

Would think a rules official must have been involved in such a situation. Also, isn't the 450 measured as a gradual right to left arc? So maybe part of it is he cut off some of the length by taking a direct route. And he came up short of the green on his 3rd. So you sure it was just 200 left? What did he hit in there? But yes, I doubt anyone else ever has or will ever go -4 on those final 3 holes with a water ball thrown in. Might be the ultimate back door top-10.

Yeah, I think down 2 you've got to take a shot at going for the green on 16. Sure you can dunk it in the water, but depending on where a water shot would've crossed the hazzard, he still could've had a decent chance to save par which he made anyway. Looked like it would've been worth the risk in that situation. I think it just shows he doesn't have confidence in his ball striking and the shank on 18 and others he's hit before would seem to support that. Still, you're a pro and if you want to win, you've got to go for it, especially if you hold yourself out to be a world class player.

Cue Mcavoy telling Sims these people didn't pay $100 a ticket to see a tour pro layup on a short par 5

Cue Mcavoy telling Sims these people didn't pay $100 a ticket to see a tour pro layup on a short par 5

Yeah, I normally can't stand Chamblee, but you at least gotta go for the 16 green in 2. You can always bail out left and have a not difficult chip down the hill, and most pros will get that up and down more often than not, whereas a layup means you're going to birdie well less than half the time. Then if you make birdie there, you probably take on that pin on 17. So yeah, it certainly appears he was more concerned about his final position than winning. But given that he only barely maintained his card in the last month, maybe position is more important to him at this stage in his career.

Would think a rules official must have been involved in such a situation. Also, isn't the 450 measured as a gradual right to left arc? So maybe part of it is he cut off some of the length by taking a direct route. And he came up short of the green on his 3rd. So you sure it was just 200 left? What did he hit in there? But yes, I doubt anyone else ever has or will ever go -4 on those final 3 holes with a water ball thrown in. Might be the ultimate back door top-10.

Is it a backdoor Top-10 if he starts inside the top 10?

Didn't realize -2 was top 10. That course was really tough last week. Great layout to begin with, then throw in a little wind and firm greens.

Didn't realize -2 was top 10. That course was really tough last week. Great layout to begin with, then throw in a little wind and firm greens.

I was talking about at the beginning of the day but I see what you are saying now. -2 was probably out of the top 10 at the time. Course was playing really difficult, so many big scores by dudes that are really damn good is not something im use to seeing. Another fun tourney though, this year has been really good so far. Need Rory to get healthy and close the year strong.

Pretty sure he had 232 and a shitty lie that would have been quite risky. He's not a long hitter and I doubt he had much confidence in getting a 4-iron there safely. Made the right play but totally gacked on a chance to go at the pin with his 3rd. Yes there is a slope there that might move the ball right but a well struck gap wedge sits down and gives him a look inside of 20 feet. <-- Also ETA: he actually had 122 in for his 3rd which was probably right between gap and PW for him. As it turns, he went long so probably started it left knowing this, and of course hoping to catch the slope to roll up close. Guy knows his limitations on a sticky, windy track. Had it been a dried out British Open, he most assuredly would have pulled a wood and tried to hit the miracle shot.

ETA: actually it was 237 per the shot tracker on PGAT website. He hit it 285 off the tee and got eaten up by the Bermuda on the right. He is not a big hitter and most certainly hit driver. Obviously it's easier to hook a 3 wood, but I doubt Poulty Pants can draw one 290-300 with his 3-metal, even with run out.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he had 232 and a shitty lie that would have been quite risky. He's not a long hitter and I doubt he had much confidence in getting a 4-iron there safely. Made the right play but totally gacked on a chance to go at the pin with his 3rd. Yes there is a slope there that might move the ball right but a well struck gap wedge sits down and gives him a look inside of 20 feet. <-- Also ETA: he actually had 122 in for his 3rd which was probably right between gap and PW for him. As it turns, he went long so probably started it left knowing this, and of course hoping to catch the slope to roll up close. Guy knows his limitations on a sticky, windy track. Had it been a dried out British Open, he most assuredly would have pulled a wood and tried to hit the miracle shot.

ETA: actually it was 237 per the shot tracker on PGAT website. He hit it 285 off the tee and got eaten up by the Bermuda on the right. He is not a big hitter and most certainly hit driver. Obviously it's easier to hook a 3 wood, but I doubt Poulty Pants can draw one 290-300 with his 3-metal, even with run out.

On TV they said it was a great lie (and it looked to be). Most players I saw ended up left of the green, some way left, and many still made birdie. Probably would have been just a stock 3/4 Hybrid for Poulter, but he just didn't have the guts.

I don't know what hole you're talking about but that ball was sitting down with Bermuda behind it on a slight downslope. It was NOT a good lie.

Perhaps he should have had some cajones and tried to go hard and left, but with a 21 y/o, untested Kim whose stats had been miserable all year, you'd think he'd crack on at least one hole.

Still does not forgive Poulter for not being a bit more aggressive with his wedges and a hideous shank on 18. I didn't think that lie was that bad considering the distance of the shot.

He carries 2 hybrids, he's a pro, one that believes he's a world class player, IF he was really trying to win there was no reason for him not to go for it. If he just wanted to maintain his place for his card, etc., yeah he made the right play, but that is probably part of the reason outside of the Ryder Cup he hasn't done much.

He carries 2 hybrids, he's a pro, one that believes he's a world class player, IF he was really trying to win there was no reason for him not to go for it. If he just wanted to maintain his place for his card, etc., yeah he made the right play, but that is probably part of the reason outside of the Ryder Cup he hasn't done much.

Again, he's in a different place in his career than he was in say 5-8 years ago. He just recently held onto his card. Positioning in a golf tournament probably means more to him now than it used to. Plus, he's always been a very materialistic type of guy and openly enjoys living large. So why throw away $2-400K.

good for horschel. pxg must have love the coverage today. anyone played those clubs yet?

Back