• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

First double-digit win in over a decade as he gets the -30 for the week.

That was sick. The 2 other times guys have gone -30+ under were both at Kapalua, which has 5 par 5s. Boston has 3 par 5s, and that back 9 has a lot of tough holes.

Other guy I've been impressed with has been Scheffler. Didn't have a good Sunday but has been piling up top 10s in his rookie season with some strong fields.

Also amazed with Popov, who didn't have tour status and is ranked 300+. I guess the Open is the 1 major for both the women and men where low ranked players have a real shot to contend.

That was sick. The 2 other times guys have gone -30+ under were both at Kapalua, which has 5 par 5s. Boston has 3 par 5s, and that back 9 has a lot of tough holes.

Other guy I've been impressed with has been Scheffler. Didn't have a good Sunday but has been piling up top 10s in his rookie season with some strong fields.

Also amazed with Popov, who didn't have tour status and is ranked 300+. I guess the Open is the 1 major for both the women and men where low ranked players have a real shot to contend.

Google Hillary Lunke

I've also been impressed with Scottie. While he wasn't having a great front nine, I don't think it really helped him on the mental side when his caddie went down on the ninth. It was good that they could find someone knowledgeable hop on the bag very quickly, but it has to be a little awkward to have a complete stranger helping you for the first time on the last nine holes of a playoff event.

Good recall on Lunke. She won the 2003 US Women's Open, and no other tournaments as a pro. She played in 23 major tournaments, and outside of that one win, her best finish was 37th. She missed the cut in 15 of those majors. Lightning in a bottle.

I'm too lazy to do the research; but I wonder how many consecutive rounds in the 60s Webb has played? Seems like at least 3 tournaments.

I'm too lazy to do the research; but I wonder how many consecutive rounds in the 60s Webb has played? Seems like at least 3 tournaments.

8 straight rounds:

- 4 at TPC Boston this week
- 4 at the Wyndham last week

The week before, at the last round of the PGA, Webb shot 72 to finish 37th.

I had to google her - because I didn't recognize the name after you mentioned her. I have no memory of that tourney.

Good recall on Lunke. She won the 2003 US Women's Open, and no other tournaments as a pro. She played in 23 major tournaments, and outside of that one win, her best finish was 37th. She missed the cut in 15 of those majors. Lightning in a bottle.

I actually remember watching it. I don't think she was hitting it much more than about 220 off the tee, a big disadvantage to established pros Angela Stanford and Kelly Robbins her playoff opponents. Kelly Robbins was a very long hitter at the time, but Lunke kept hitting the shots she needed to hit and making the putts she needed to get it done. Much like Popov yesterday, it came out of nowhere. Heck, you look at guys like Ben Curtis and Todd Hamilton winning the British, even those guys had some other success. Curtis has won multiple times and Hamilton won the Honda that year before he won the Open I believe.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/rankings/cup-points/

Related stat - Webb's average score this season is 68.0 - best on TOUR. DJ leads in Fed Ex points while playing far fewer rounds than anyone else. Webb also played fewer rounds than most of the others.

Great to see Webb putting together such a consistently excellent season!

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/rankings/cup-points/

Related stat - Webb's average score this season is 68.0 - best on TOUR. DJ leads in Fed Ex points while playing far fewer rounds than anyone else. Webb also played fewer rounds than most of the others.

DJ's rounds around 80 hurt his scoring average. Maybe he was just sandbagging to raise his handicap. But it has been nice to see Webb having such a good year.

And kudos to liveanddie's impressive memory for recalling the former least impressive major winner. I'm hoping Popov keeps it up. I was impressed with her poise during the round and with her humility and emotion afterwards.

I had to google her - because I didn't recognize the name after you mentioned her. I have no memory of that tourney.

DJ's rounds around 80 hurt his scoring average. Maybe he was just sandbagging to raise his handicap. But it has been nice to see Webb having such a good year.

And kudos to liveanddie's impressive memory for recalling the former least impressive major winner. I'm hoping Popov keeps it up. I was impressed with her poise during the round and with her humility and emotion afterwards.

Thanks, I don't know if it's impressive or if it's embarrassing that I'm such a golf nerd?

For awhile it looked DJ was on the decline. From May 2019 until winning the Travelers in June 2020, he had two top 10s and nothing higher than 7th in more than a year. Then, he has had some absurd results from the Travelers on:

June 28: Wins the Travelers
July 19: Finishes DFL with an 80-80 at the Memorial
July 26: Shoots 78 and withdraws after the opening round of the 3M Open

Since going 80-80-78 to finish July, DJ next 12 rounds are:

69-68-68-67 (12th at the WGC St. Jude); 69-67-65-68 (2nd in the PGA); 67-60-64-63 (wins TPC Boston by the largest margin in PGA Tournament in 14 years)

So, in less than a month, DJ went from literally the worst golfer in two different PGA events, to the best golfer in the world.

For awhile it looked DJ was on the decline. From May 2019 until winning the Travelers in June 2020, he had two top 10s and nothing higher than 7th in more than a year. Then, he has had some absurd results from the Travelers on:

June 28: Wins the Travelers
July 19: Finishes DFL with an 80-80 at the Memorial
July 26: Shoots 78 and withdraws after the opening round of the 3M Open

Since going 80-80-78 to finish July, DJ next 12 rounds are:

69-68-68-67 (12th at the WGC St. Jude); 69-67-65-68 (2nd in the PGA); 67-60-64-63 (wins TPC Boston by the largest margin in PGA Tournament in 14 years)

So, in less than a month, DJ went from literally the worst golfer in two different PGA events, to the best golfer in the world.

Golf is a funny sport sometimes.

Phil made his Champions Tour debut yesterday with a -10 to lead the pack.

You know you're getting old when you look at the leaderboard of this event and it has a ton of names on it from when you watched golf growing up. KJ Choi, Retief, Langer, Ernie Els, Stricker, O'Meara. I didn't even Chris DiMarco (had a few close calls at majors but never came through) is now old enough to be playing this tour.

If they continue doing this on weekdays, I'd be tempted to watch when I can - the names in the field are pretty damn deep.

Will be interesting to see how often, if at all, Tiger participates in Champions Tour events. He is 5 years and 4 months away from being eligible.

Phil made his Champions Tour debut yesterday with a -10 to lead the pack.

You know you're getting old when you look at the leaderboard of this event and it has a ton of names on it from when you watched golf growing up. KJ Choi, Retief, Langer, Ernie Els, Stricker, O'Meara. I didn't even Chris DiMarco (had a few close calls at majors but never came through) is now old enough to be playing this tour.

If they continue doing this on weekdays, I'd be tempted to watch when I can - the names in the field are pretty damn deep.

Think the only reason this is a Mon-Wed event is because they played this resort's sister course on Fri-Sun last week, and just decided to stack events close together. Think most of the Champions Tour events have still been Fri-Sun since the re-start.

Think the only reason this is a Mon-Wed event is because they played this resort's sister course on Fri-Sun last week, and just decided to stack events close together. Think most of the Champions Tour events have still been Fri-Sun since the re-start.

Yes, but at some point, the Champions Tour may want to add in a few more Mon-Wed tourneys as most Champions Tour events get swallowed up, by the corresponding PGA event for that weekend. During the season for most Thursday to Sunday stretches, there are PGA, Korn Ferry and LPGA events occupying those dates. Might be nice to have the exclusive Monday-Wednesday days for the Champions Tour now and then. Particularly makes sense for as long as no fans are allowed to attend as the one drawback to Monday-Wednesday schedule is that it's less likely for people to attend. During the pandemic, that is not an issue.

Back