• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SayHeyDeac's Thread For Serious Political Discourse Only--Trolls Need Not Apply

I should have phrased it a little differently. Minimum wage jobs are not meant to support families. They are meant to be the first job available. The first rung if you will. One should be able to parlay that to a move up within that company or if that company does not have move up positions, then the work experience will make them more appealing for a better job elsewhere.

This works much much better when the economy is doing well. In a recession economy or a stagnant economy, people get stuck much longer in minimum wage jobs. That is why I think it is so important to enact pro business policies. It gives the worker more bargaining power.

So during the day, when HS kids are in school, what % of the workforce would you guess are in minimum wage jobs?

Someone who works a McDonalds on the day shift when HS kids are in school, what is their logical next rung on the ladder? Someone who works retail during the day, what about them?

Often you have to parlay that steady work experience into a different job. Fast food restaurants allow for move up with assistant manager positions. Retail can give you experience in sales that could lead to commission work elsewhere that has the potential to pay much better. It is definitely not easy, but entry level work is not a realistic long term plan.

That's really surprising to me that only 2% of jobs out there are minimum wage jobs. Would have guessed much higher.

It would be interesting to see a chart on hourly workers and how it falls past minimum wage. Like what percent makes $9 an hour, $10, and so on.

That's really surprising to me that only 2% of jobs out there are minimum wage jobs. Would have guessed much higher.

It would be interesting to see a chart on hourly workers and how it falls past minimum wage. Like what percent makes $9 an hour, $10, and so on.

The link says it's 3.3% of workers earning $7.25 per hour or less.
Among those paid by the hour, 870,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.7 million had wages below the federal minimum. Together, these 2.6 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 3.3 percent of all hourly paid workers.
But people can make minimum wage and it be above $7.25. As this WaPo article points out, 60% of the population lives in a place where the minimum wage is higher than the federal one.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/06/18/60-percent-of-americans-live-with-a-minimum-wage-higher-than-the-federal-one/

Trump's now allegedly flip flopped on water boarding after it was strongly dismissed by potential Defense Secretary James Mannis. Water boarding is a non-starter for McCain and Graham who would only need one more GOP Senator to block Pompeo's confirmation if he's still a hardcore advocate for enhanced iterrogation techniques.

Nikki Haley in line for UN Ambassador. Unsure of her qualifications, but good move for her and Trump. Haley needs to stay in politics post-2018 if she ever wants to run for POTUS/VP in the future (2024?). Wouid be tough for her to challenge Graham (2020) or Scott (2022) for a placeholder Senate seat otherwise. Trump needs diversity in his cabinet and nominating someone who didn't actively support him is also helpful.

Appears that Mitt is still in the running for SOS over Rudy. Carson claiming he's been offered HUD. Some reasonable potential picks (Mitt, Haley) mixed in with some crazy crony hacks (Carson, Rudy). No surprise in the bumpy ride, but the variance in potential cabinet picks is wild.

The link says it's 3.3% of workers earning $7.25 per hour or less.

But people can make minimum wage and it be above $7.25. As this WaPo article points out, 60% of the population lives in a place where the minimum wage is higher than the federal one.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/06/18/60-percent-of-americans-live-with-a-minimum-wage-higher-than-the-federal-one/

This also doesn't seem to consider total hours worked either. Like if someone is only getting 10 hours a week at $9.

Too many threads for me to follow, so, I'm sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere....this first showed up in my FB feed from some far left folks (e.g., occupy democrats repost, I think) but now is appearing in some legitimate news outlets.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...ry-clinton-to-challenge-election-results.html

Given how far off the polling data was from the actual results, it seems like a worth while hypothesis to explore.

Too many threads for me to follow, so, I'm sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere....this first showed up in my FB feed from some far left folks (e.g., occupy democrats repost, I think) but now is appearing in some legitimate news outlets.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...ry-clinton-to-challenge-election-results.html

Given how far off the polling data was from the actual results, it seems like a worth while hypothesis to explore.

Looks weak but you never know. That would be one sophisticated hack

Like McCrory is doing?

Between concentrated efforts to suppress the vote and heavy petting with the Russians, seems like it is worth exploring.

Like McRory is doing?

Between concentrated efforts to suppress the vote and heavy petting with the Russians, seems like it is worth exploring.

LLost and Found called. They have something with your name on it.

I should have phrased it a little differently. Minimum wage jobs are not meant to support families. They are meant to be the first job available. The first rung if you will. One should be able to parlay that to a move up within that company or if that company does not have move up positions, then the work experience will make them more appealing for a better job elsewhere.

This works much much better when the economy is doing well. In a recession economy or a stagnant economy, people get stuck much longer in minimum wage jobs. That is why I think it is so important to enact pro business policies. It gives the worker more bargaining power.

Where does the employer fit into this?

Often you have to parlay that steady work experience into a different job. Fast food restaurants allow for move up with assistant manager positions. Retail can give you experience in sales that could lead to commission work elsewhere that has the potential to pay much better. It is definitely not easy, but entry level work is not a realistic long term plan.

Which is the essential difference between entry level work and subsistence dependency programs. Entry level work leads to stagnation at the entry level in down economies, whereas subsistence dependency programs lead to stagnation in every economy.

well done.

I have accepted defeat, have you in NC?

We don't all look alike, Wake. PatMac got beat.

The theory that ballot boxes were stuffed with fraudulent votes (that went Trump/Burr/...Cooper?) is a bit of a stretch.

Back