• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Schumucker wants to ban Zyn

I can't speak to the marketing side of things that Schumer mentions, but these aren't new. They've been around for decades. Quitting nicotine completely is obviously the best choice, but it's so addictive and so many people simply don't quit. There is a school of thought that getting people to switch to nicotine relatively devoid of the other unhealthy shit is a win.

Quitting nicotine completely is obviously the best choice, but it's so addictive and so many people simply don't quit.
isn’t the difficulty of quitting an argument for doing all we can to prevent people from starting?

Like if his name was Tucker or Zucker I could see “schmucker” but you can’t just change around the whole sound of the name like that.

From what I can tell, the theory is that inconspicuous addictive substances are being considered most dangerous for teens because their use can hidden in plain sight.

isn’t the difficulty of quitting an argument for doing all we can to prevent people from starting?

definitely, but the controversy is a bit like sex. the argument goes: people are going to do it anyway, so we might as well make it as safe as possible and minimize the bad outcomes.

I can't speak to the marketing side of things that Schumer mentions, but these aren't new. They've been around for decades. Quitting nicotine completely is obviously the best choice, but it's so addictive and so many people simply don't quit. There is a school of thought that getting people to switch to nicotine relatively devoid of the other unhealthy shit is a win.
This sounds a lot like the original arguments made for Juul and the like.

This sounds a lot like the original arguments made for Juul and the like.

there's definitely some overlap there, but the packet-type delivery systems as i became familiar with them over 20 years ago were flavorless and as technologically simplistic as possible. basically a nicotine patch with a more effective delivery system that also low-grade satisfies the oral component that goes part and parcel with smoking, dipping, or chewing.

i'm not an expert on vaping, but it's obviously more complicated than just liquefying nicotine and then heating it up, which is where i believe the opportunity to introduce other harmful substances comes into play. then, of course, there's the whole marketing side of things, to include the introduction of flavors that tend to be more appealing to younger, juvenile users. that's obviously not limited to vaping, but i do know that juul and its competitors got in trouble for that and now so too is zyn, apparently, if schumer is correct.

there's definitely some overlap there, but the packet-type delivery systems as i became familiar with them over 20 years ago were flavorless and as technologically simplistic as possible. basically a nicotine patch with a more effective delivery system that also low-grade satisfies the oral component that goes part and parcel with smoking, dipping, or chewing.

i'm not an expert on vaping, but it's obviously more complicated than just liquefying nicotine and then heating it up, which is where i believe the opportunity to introduce other harmful substances comes into play. then, of course, there's the whole marketing side of things, to include the introduction of flavors that tend to be more appealing to younger, juvenile users. that's obviously not limited to vaping, but i do know that juul and its competitors got in trouble for that and now so too is zyn, apparently, if schumer is correct.
And this is where I have a big problem. I don't know that I've ever seen a Zyn, but just googling, I see apple, black cherry, espresso, bellini and a whole bunch of other flavors that sure seem enticing. Using an unflavored packet or an e-cig (not manufactured in China and with some oversight as to what's actually in it) as an alternative for someone who is already addicted to nicotine is good for the reasons you mentioned. But flavoring that shit up and making it look "cool" to 12 year olds is no better than what the tobacco companies have paid out the ass for.

Back