• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Schumucker wants to ban Zyn

So the crux of your dismissal (tin hat) of fear about loss of voting rights is based on you…dismissing the concerns of people whose voting rights are being taken away?

Republican governors of Florida and Virginia are infamously nullifying the will of their state voters by enforcing felony disenfranchise which prevents free citizens from voting.

There are numerous other ways in which Republican state governments specifically are discouraging and preventing racial minorities and college students from voting, such as removing voting locations in their communities so that those voters must travel farther and wait in much longer lines to vote. We know full well from Jim Crow-era history that targeted voter discouragement is a strategic method of suppressing vote totals, i.e. disenfranchisement.

Black precincts in Georgia, specifically Atlanta have complained of the state refusing to install the newer, updated voting machines that have been in storage on premises for multiple election cycles, while their older machines frequently break down, causing extreme wait times
I know this was a problem in the 2018 election cycle, but Georgia went to new, statewide voting machines in the 2020 cycle. There are still issues with the numbers of machines allocated to precincts (and the new machines themselves have their own problems - see Coffey County data breach), but it’s more an issue of number of polling locations and poll workers, as opposed to equipment now (which is still a problem that disproportionately impacts the metro Atlanta counties and within them, disproportionately minority majority precincts).

I know this was a problem in the 2018 election cycle, but Georgia went to new, statewide voting machines in the 2020 cycle. There are still issues with the numbers of machines allocated to precincts (and the new machines themselves have their own problems - see Coffey County data breach), but it’s more an issue of number of polling locations and poll workers, as opposed to equipment now (which is still a problem that disproportionately impacts the metro Atlanta counties and within them, disproportionately minority majority precincts).

Coffee

Massive gap between this and what is actually done to limit the ability to vote.
I mean right here in North Carolina we had redistricting overturned in the courts because Republican politicians basically had emails saying “this will make it harder for black voters, and that’s why we should do it.”

But sure, tin foil.

I’ll let you know on Zyn.

Last edited:
I mean right here in North Carolina we had redistricting overturned in the courts because Republican politicians basically had emails saying “this will make it harder for black voters, and that’s why we should do it.”

But sure, tin foil.
Not to mention the new maps give Republicans a guaranteed 10-3 advantage in a state that is currently evenly split at 7-7.

I don’t have an issue with the identification stuff. You should prove you’re a legal citizen to vote.
There are some other things which I’ve been told are voter suppression. I don’t see it, but I also acknowledge I come from a pretty privileged perspective.

And this Zyn thing and the original post of this thread is still catastrophically dumb

I don’t have an issue with the identification stuff. You should prove you’re a legal citizen to vote.
There are some other things which I’ve been told are voter suppression. I don’t see it, but I also acknowledge I come from a pretty privileged perspective.

And this Zyn thing and the original post of this thread is still catastrophically dumb
The stated intention of many of those regulations, from the mouths of the politicians themselves and the people working for them, is to supress the vote.

I am not sure what is so hard here

But sure, tin foil.
In 2013 a NC GOP official, Don Yelton, made national news when he told The Daily Show that NC's then-new voter ID law was "going to kick the Democrats in the butt...if it hurts a bunch of college kids who's too lazy get off up their bull-humpus and get a photo ID so be it. If it hurts the whites, so be it, if it hurts a bunch of lazy blacks who wants the government to give them everything, so be it."

Yelton added that "one of my best friends is black" and that when he was younger "you didn't call a black a black, you called him a nigra." For his heresy of saying the quiet parts out loud he was forced to resign by the Buncombe County GOP, but a local Democratic Party official noted that "it's the county GOP who keeps electing him to official positions within the party...After he was kicked out of the Republican Party they welcomed him back with open arms...They obviously thought he had something important to say."

Additionally, in 2016 a federal appeals court overturned parts of the 2013 voter ID law passed by the GOP legislature and signed by GOP Gov. Pat McCrory. The court ruling stated that "GOP lawmakers had written them with "almost surgical precision" to discourage voting by Black voters, who tend to support Democrats."

Link: https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna53373737

Link: https://www.npr.org/2021/09/17/1038354159/n-c-judges-strike-down-a-voter-id-law-they-say-discriminates-against-black-voter#:~:text=In July 2016, a federal,who tend to support Democrats.

Back