• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Scout's Relationship with the Athletic Dept.

Boo Robinson was always stealing ipods. I caught him breaking into my room on two separate occasions when I was inside.

Also, one of my friends was sitting at his computer in Luter with his door open; where the desks faced the window. He looked up into the reflection of the window and saw Boo's arm inside his door grabbing his ipod.

Boo Robinson was always stealing ipods. I caught him breaking into my room on two separate occasions when I was inside.

Also, one of my friends was sitting at his computer in Luter with his door open; where the desks faced the window. He looked up into the reflection of the window and saw Boo's arm inside his door grabbing his ipod.

That's highly upsetting.

You playing tomorrow, bro?

Absolutely. West Ham match at 7:45AM, Aces at noon, watch my boys in the 3k at the home meet as soon as I can get over there.

To be honest, I knew a lot of these rumors and others and that's why I always got so pissed on the old boards when other people (mostly older) would slam other programs that had these kind of things hit the public. Wake benefits from being smaller and I think can contain the rumors better than other campuses. I don't even like Calipari, but thought it was stupid when every single time he was mentioned people acted like Wake was above any scandal.

I'm sure compared to other schools, Wake is a much more wholesome place, but its not like everyone was an angel.

I will also say that the other boards were not the appropriate venue to vent and discuss the rumors, but a dose of reality would help put things in perspective for the naive.

Absolutely. West Ham match at 7:45AM, Aces at noon, watch my boys in the 3k at the home meet as soon as I can get over there.

Rats. Was hoping to convince you tomorrow to go watch the soccer spring game after our match.

To be honest, I knew a lot of these rumors and others and that's why I always got so pissed on the old boards when other people (mostly older) would slam other programs that had these kind of things hit the public. Wake benefits from being smaller and I think can contain the rumors better than other campuses. I don't even like Calipari, but thought it was stupid when every single time he was mentioned people acted like Wake was above any scandal.

I'm sure compared to other schools, Wake is a much more wholesome place, but its not like everyone was an angel.

I will also say that the other boards were not the appropriate venue to vent and discuss the rumors, but a dose of reality would help put things in perspective for the naive.

I hear ya there. Always seemed so ridiculous to me knowing what I knew.

Also, that people think when fans bitch and moan about a 8-24 season and that they thought "Wake fans were better than that." Oh, just fuck off with that sanctimonious crap. I want Wake to be the best it can be, and that record is certainly not the best the team last season could have been.

I mean, I am aware of maybe five or six serious, major athletic department cover-ups that went down while I was a student (one of them already being mentioned on this thread). Some of these were completely disposed of relatively quietly (the football gang-rape case, for example) and others resulted in jailtime and hefty fines.

On the other hand, there were some hilarious ones too. The Chas/Phonz rivalry/fistfight in study hall, the MRSA scare from the flooded locker room that was left un-fixed for three weeks, the janitorial staff catching boys in the girls locker room, the several facebook hazing scandals, the Ben Mauk cheating thing (very LOL), volleyball player peeing in the brand new whirlpool.

The one that really made me mad, however, resulted in the departure of a very talented and potential star football player in 2005. I forget his name, but he was either a cornerback or a wide reciever.

As most of my friends here know, I made a concerted effort never to reveal any insider information whilst I was a student. Some things are better left un-spread.

To put it simply, bad things that occur in the revenue sports are dealt with quietly and swiftly. Sometimes these things are no big deal (like Barclay's smoke-up outside of Groves) and sometimes they are something much more serious. The athletic department spends a whole lot of time and energy babysitting and regulating the basketball and football kids, and little effort paying attention to anybody else. They ignore the non-rev teams as long as they aren't getting in any trouble.

The extreme hate from one AD employee, in particular, against little transgressions in the non-rev sports was surprising and scary. I had friends that were hit with threats of yanked scholarship and being sent down from school for seemingly nothing, while there were rapes being covered up just across campus. Money talks, I guess.

Rats. Was hoping to convince you tomorrow to go watch the soccer spring game after our match.

I would love to, depending on the timing. I don't particularly care about the 400 meter relay, 100 finals, or the 400 hurdles, so I may join you for the second half of the game. The 3k doesn't start until 4:00.

They've got free food for track alums, however, with a reception afterwords, so I can't miss the free chic-fil-a.

I mean, I am aware of maybe five or six serious, major athletic department cover-ups that went down while I was a student (one of them already being mentioned on this thread). Some of these were completely disposed of relatively quietly (the football gang-rape case, for example) and others resulted in jailtime and hefty fines.

On the other hand, there were some hilarious ones too. The Chas/Phonz rivalry/fistfight in study hall, the MRSA scare from the flooded locker room that was left un-fixed for three weeks, the janitorial staff catching boys in the girls locker room, the several facebook hazing scandals, the Ben Mauk cheating thing (very LOL), volleyball player peeing in the brand new whirlpool.

The one that really made me mad, however, resulted in the departure of a very talented and potential star football player in 2005. I forget his name, but he was either a cornerback or a wide reciever.

As most of my friends here know, I made a concerted effort never to reveal any insider information whilst I was a student. Some things are better left un-spree

To put it simply, bad things that occur in the revenue sports are dealt with quietly and swiftly. Sometimes these things are no big deal (like Barclay's smoke-up outside of Groves) and sometimes they are something much more serious. The athletic department spends a whole lot of time and energy babysitting and regulating the basketball and football kids, and little effort paying attention to anybody else. They ignore the non-rev teams as long as they aren't getting in any trouble.

The extreme hate from one AD employee, in particular, against little transgressions in the non-rev sports was surprising and scary. I had friends that were hit with threats of yanked scholarship and being sent down from school for seemingly nothing, while there were rapes being covered up just across campus. Money talks, I guess.

Duh

Scandal at weakest link then turn sights higher

Clean program bitch

When you think about it, there is no way in he'll that Wake or any school could be as squeaky clean as we portray ourselves.

When you think about it, there is no way in he'll that Wake or any school could be as squeaky clean as we portray ourselves.

True. But I think, in general, that we have some pretty quality people associated with our athletics programs.

I would love to, depending on the timing. I don't particularly care about the 400 meter relay, 100 finals, or the 400 hurdles, so I may join you for the second half of the game. The 3k doesn't start until 4:00.

They've got free food for track alums, however, with a reception afterwords, so I can't miss the free chic-fil-a.

Starts at 2, so we would be just a bit late. I think I could talk my dad into coming as well (this equals free food!) assuming my nephew doesn't have a game of his own tomorrow. And if that is the case...I'd be out to watch Wake against some team I've never heard of.

Really, I just want to go and heckle Luch. I keed, I keed.

Yeah, that is what annoyed me. The "our shit don't stink" squad. Ummm, yes it does. We are just really good at spraying glade before leaving the bathroom.

In all fairness, I do think we have a cleaner program than most.

It's just not as clean as everybody thinks.

True. But I think, in general, that we have some pretty quality people associated with our athletics programs.

We do, but occasionally you get some bad apples. He'll, even my career at WFU wasn't without controversy, but we are college students. What do they honestly expect?

Thanks for the correction about AY. I knew it was stealing something.

All this shows is the culture talk is pure BS. All this stuff went down on Wellman's watch. It's not just basketball. It wasn't just Dino.

Back