• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

Supposed to drive back to High Point from Virginia Beach Sunday morning...Kinda starting to get a bit worried.

A couple days ago, I sunk huge coin into changing my disney trip flights from Sunday to Saturday. Basically paid double the cost of the tickets. Looking like it was worth it.

A couple days ago, I sunk huge coin into changing my disney trip flights from Sunday to Saturday. Basically paid double the cost of the tickets. Looking like it was worth it.

you coulda waited a few days and probably changed for free. I'm sure your airline would have travel alerts for GSO or whichever airport you were using.

you coulda waited a few days and probably changed for free. I'm sure your airline would have travel alerts for GSO or whichever airport you were using.

Oh man, teach me something. Could I pre-emptively argue weather to get a free flight change?

Oh man, teach me something. Could I pre-emptively argue weather to get a free flight change?

I think you have to wait for the airline to issue travel alerts. I primarily fly Delta, and they'll have a banner on the front of their site saying something about weather alerts, and you can see which airports are affected. So for this storm, I'd guess airports like AVL, CLT, RDU, GSO, GSP, ATL, etc would be affected. And if you're flying to/from/through one of those you can usually change at no cost. But I don't see that up on Delta's site yet, likely too early. But it'll definitely happen. But you could try calling your airline now.

What are the chances of me getting from Asheville to Atlanta on Monday morning for a 1pm flight to Hawaii? We've got a wedding in Ashville this weekend and then a trip to Hawaii for a conference leaving Monday. We will probably take our 4 wheel drive truck.

Someone who understands weather tell me what's going to happen in Winston. Big mac, quarter pounder, or nothing burger?

Trending more and more towards ice for CLT up to the Triad. More rain in Triangle and points east. Like some models are showing over an inch and a half of straight ice. Would be really bad. I'd be concerned if I was in the Triad especially. CLT proper seems to see mostly rain in these setups. If it's a bunch of sleet, we're all fine, other than the roads being a mess. Lots of freezing rain means lights out for days.

Boone is going to get a huge snow dump. Charlotte MAY get snow but seems equally likely that we end up with apocalyptic freezing rain. Winston seems to be in a similar boat Creamy. Stock up on booze.

Shit. Thanks bros.

I was hoping for solid 5.75 at least. Promised my girls I'd make them snow cream.

Google NCEP viewer for snow estimates as we get closer to the event. It defaults to OKC, so use the map to get to your location.

I suggested to the wife that we should consider skipping the wedding in Asheville and she is pretty pissed. It's a childhood best friend.

whats the update? darksky shows 13-20 inches for WS

There are a bunch of different weather models forecasters use. Pretty much all of them have been trending towards an icier (and rainier in some areas) solutions vs. tons of snow. Don't think a single consensus model shows over a foot of snow in Winston at the moment. Hopefully things trend colder/snowier in the next several days.

lots of good arguing this morning among the weather geeks. General feeling seems to be that the low pressure is moving far enough south of us to avoid as much ice as the computers predict....but the downside is that the computers know that and they are still predicting an ice storm that will send send charlotte and the triad back to the stone age

Back