• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

Public streets are public streets. Legally you can't "reserve" your space even if you have spent hours digging your car out. Sure it takes a real jackass to park in a space that someone else has dug out, but being a jackass isn't illegal.

There's a higher law, the law of the jungle, and it says you're in the clear if you smash the windshield of someone who takes a spot you spent hours clearing. Though if I'm being honest I feel terrible for that woman and think anyone who vandalizes a car over a parking space is going way too far.

Last edited:
Public streets are public streets. Legally you can't "reserve" your space even if you have spent hours digging your car out. Sure it takes a real jackass to park in a space that someone else has dug out, but being a jackass isn't illegal.

Never said it was "illegal," just a jerk-move.

There's a higher law, the law of the jungle, and it says you're in the clear if you smash the windshield of someone who takes a spot you spent hours clearing. Though if I'm being honest I feel terrible for that woman and think anyone who vandalizes a car over a parking space is going way too far.

Yea, gotta have something there to save your space. And the vandalism isn't justified, even if the frustration is understandable.

So Rev, is this something like an 11th Commandment or should one follow the "render unto Caesar" advice and park wherever they want.

Never said it was "illegal," just a jerk-move.

The thing there, though, is that in a lot of cases the person who takes that spot couldn't get back into the spot that they dug out because someone else parked there. Maybe there is a patient zero that started the cycle, or maybe a plow came through and blocked up previously shoveled spots, but that's the nature of living in a city where you park on the street. Claiming a spot you dug out on a public road is every bit as much of a dick move as swooping in to claim it. And this doesn't just apply to times like this. There are incidents every day in DC (and likely every other city) where people try and reserve the spots in front of their house and get pissed when someone else parks there.

Meh if you want a space, pay for it. We do. Totally worth it, especially if we drive on a weekend night since parking is impossible in our neighborhood then. Otherwise don't complain, it's a public street.

Back