• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

Why/how are those cars unable to move? Is it 100% ice on top of the snow? I don't see how the cars with four wheel drive can't get out of that unless there's mud under it or it's just a sheet of ice. Spinning tires as the culprit?

So my wife was talking to some people who live around meadowlark and country club who said they saw a bunch of cars on the side of the road, while we live about 3 minutes from there and had zero issues at 5am the past 2 mornings and 430pm yesterday.

Apparently, they said they saw people starting to go up the hill then inexplicably braking about halfway up, which completely stopped all momentum they needed. Northern v southern drivers, yada yada, but those are some stupid people accounting for some of the cars on the side of the road.

To be clear, I was wearing my Yaktrax (which are AMAZING) for the 6am dog walk, but just my normal snow boots at 8am when the sidewalk was slippery.

And now it is 50+ and sunny outside. And I'm still wearing snowboots.

HalIncadenza, as you have called me "stupid" then I guess I will respond, I had to abandon my wife's Honda Odyssey on that stretch and was able to return it home the following morning without issue. However, at 7:30 pm on Sunday, in 2 inches or whatever they are quoting, the roads were absurdly slick. I am "stupid" for taking a two wheel drive vehicle out in the fresh precipitation but your wife's friends were not connecting the dots that it was extremely slick, no one was breaking on a hill, they (we) were spinning tires or trying to avoid oncoming traffic.

And, interestingly enough, I lived in NJ and NY for most of my adult life and am well aware of the quality of driver in the Northeast...that was irrelevant at 7:30 pm on Sunday. I cannot believe I took the time to respond to the Meadowlark neighborhood gossip.

good-good-let-the-jimmies-rustle-through-you.png

HalIncadenza, as you have called me "stupid" then I guess I will respond, I had to abandon my wife's Honda Odyssey on that stretch and was able to return it home the following morning without issue. However, at 7:30 pm on Sunday, in 2 inches or whatever they are quoting, the roads were absurdly slick. I am "stupid" for taking a two wheel drive vehicle out in the fresh precipitation but your wife's friends were not connecting the dots that it was extremely slick, no one was breaking on a hill, they (we) were spinning tires or trying to avoid oncoming traffic.

And, interestingly enough, I lived in NJ and NY for most of my adult life and am well aware of the quality of driver in the Northeast...that was irrelevant at 7:30 pm on Sunday. I cannot believe I took the time to respond to the Meadowlark neighborhood gossip.

This is the same thing that I heard. There were two 15-20 care pileups on Jonestown and Country Club near Juggheads/Little Richards.

This is the same thing that I heard. There were two 15-20 care pileups on Jonestown and Country Club near Juggheads/Little Richards.

I was driving home from a movie around 9:00 or 9:30 on Sunday night, and that area was a nightmare. Getting stuck at those red lights on Country Club coming up that hill towards Peacehaven was really annoying.

It was more about people doing stupid things leading to cars being on the side of the road, whether it was braking on the hill or not. That was just an example.

And I can't vouch for those folks that saw people doing it, but I've seen much dumber stuff than that when people get rattled by poor weather.

ETA: But yeah, if you did go out on that hill at that time in that vehicle for anything less than an emergency, that was a pretty stupid move by you.

Last edited:
I think the problem with this storm is that people were projecting it to hit later in the night. There was "light snow" expected from 3-10 amounting to about an inch. It snowed at least that much from 5-6:30 by itself, and literally everything stuck. The road conditions were extremely bad at that time, and most people probably weren't willing to cancel their Valentine's Day dinner plans for the chance of a snowstorm, when as this thread always tells us "NEVER HITS US"!!!1111ONEONEONEDONJUANASD;BC

People in the Triad/Triangle/(and especially) Queen City are terrible drivers when it comes to winter weather. I believe Hal- you morons do tend to inexplicably brake which screws everyone else.

Full on blizzard a mile high. Literally trapped in the city. All interstates closed and power outages everywhere. 75 degrees yesterday, and ate dinner outside.

Full on blizzard a mile high. Literally trapped in the city. All interstates closed and power outages everywhere. 75 degrees yesterday, and ate dinner outside.

Heading to Denver for a conference in 2.5 weeks. Hope the weather gets its act together before then!

Heading to Denver for a conference in 2.5 weeks. Hope the weather gets its act together before then!

Pack for all 4 seasons except in July and August (if you are not going to the mountains). It is part of the charm of the area. It was 75 yesterday, and I ate dinner outside in shorts. Now, there is 2+' of snow.

Last edited:
Pack for all 4 seasons except in July and August (if you are not going to the mountains). It is part of the charm of the area. It was 75 yesterday, and I ate dinner outside in shorts. Now, there is 2+" of snow.

Stay safe, Discdude

Pack for all 4 seasons except in July and August (if you are not going to the mountains). It is part of the charm of the area. It was 75 yesterday, and I ate dinner outside in shorts. Now, there is 2+" of snow.
Please tell me this is a typo and you meant 2'

Back