• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So how exactly did this happen?

I think it's estimated as many as 60% of the current jobs could be lost to the coming automation boom. It's gonna be ugly.

This is the reality that we need to live with and prepare for. We need to start restructuring our economy and the way we inhabit the land to adjust this reality. The backward march of the Trump drum to 'bring back manufacturing jobs' will only delay the inevitable necessary changes and probably make the transition even more difficult when it occurs.

This is a terrible precedent to set. Threaten to move jobs overseas, get money from the government to stay, take the money, but do most of it anyway (Is there a time limit on how long these saved jobs have to remain in the US btw?) It's basically welfare for companies.

This is the reality that we need to live with and prepare for. We need to start restructuring our economy and the way we inhabit the land to adjust this reality. The backward march of the Trump drum to 'bring back manufacturing jobs' will only delay the inevitable necessary changes and probably make the transition even more difficult when it occurs.

It's not gonna happen until it absolutely has to. The elites will fight tooth and nail to oppose the sort of massive restructuring that's gonna be necessary. Politicians will continue to kick the can down the road as long as they can.

I can tell you all exactly how all this has transpired and it is about 40 years in the making.

1976--Jimmy Carter won a tight election over Gerald Ford, but it was not really a surprise since Nixon had resigned in 1974 & Ford took over as the interim President. Carter was a party outsider who came as an outsider [much like Trump]. Carter's problem was that he did not have or know enough qualified people to make up his cabinet and join him in office. He hired far too many unqualified people. Most in the party truned against him, turned to Teddy 'Chappaquiddick' Kennedy who actually challenged a seated Pres for his own party's nomination. Carter spent so much effort in turning him back that he was a wounded duck, making way for Ronald Reagan. [plus the Iran Embassy hostage crisis and asking Amy about important issues and she said "control of nuclear arms"]

1980-88--Ronald Reagan--Ronnie knew enough from being in office to run on turning around a failing economy that was in Carter's high interest rate recession. He got his own budget & tax policies pushed thru Congress with ease, plus made great friends Tip O'Neill and also got friendly with Congress [something Obama refused to do from 2010-2016]

1988-1992-George H.W. Bush--rode Ronnie's coattails with a great economy and had it going. Had great approval ratings of over 70% after the 1st Gulf War, but forgot where he came from, got back to his far too moderate roots, made the quoted remarks "Read my Lips, no new taxes" and of course raised taxes, the economy started to tank as it is want to do in cycles and he got overtaken in 1992 by another like Jimmy Carter, a relative small-state unknown, Bill Clinton.

1992-2000--Bill Clinton rode the wave of the 1994 Newt Gingrich 'Contract with America' and the economy started going again. What the 1st Clinton didn't do though was vet and do background checks on people he put in his office [see Jimmy Carter]. Plus he tried to fast track Zoe Baird as his Attorney General and she was found to have an illegal immigrant housekeeper as a nanny, it was a scandal he couldn't live down the first 2 years. Cost him time. Many of his other employees were disloyal & unqualified. Clinton never stopped campaigning and his agenda was crappy--too many things with no focus and the Republicans exploited it. In 2 years they won back the House & Senate, Gingrich got The Contract, and the GOP is still riding a legacy today that has had 18 of 22 years in the House.

2000-2008--George Bush--had 9/11, rode the wave of massive support of America, but definitely lost focus when he altered the Afghanny plans of getting Bin Laden and all the real terrorists, starting into Iraq to go after Daddy's initial goal of getting Saddam Hussein, thus cost the U.S. trillions of extra $$$ and too many lives and he saw the U.S. debt over double from $5 T to $11 T. It cost the Republicans a few years of the House & Senate and more importantly led the country into the abyss known as "Obamacare"!

2008-2016--Barack Obama--Democrats squeezed out several recounts in Minnesota, Al Franken was finally given his oath of office in July 2009 and the Senate had their filibuster-proof 60th vote, thus unleashing the 2700 pages of an unread bill that Nancy Pelosi told us the House was supposed to vote first & read about later. A vote that later cost many Senators their jobs--Feingold, Specter, Lincoln, Nelson, Hagan, Landrieu, Begich, Pryor, Udall, Rockefeller, Baucus, Johnson, Harkin, Dorgan, Bayh, & Burris. Since losing his House & Senate in 2010, he did not do like Clinton did and get along with and work with Congress, choosing to stay arrogant and act like he did not need them. Making like it was the other party's fault. He and the Democrats paid dearly in 2016 and have now lost over 900 state house seats, governorships have flipped to 33 in favor of the Republicans, 247 to 188 in the House and 54 in the Senate. It could be years before this tidal wave is over as long as the Trump/Pence partnership holds strong and listens to Ryan/McConnell, his kids and the rest of his key advisors, picks more great cabinet members and keeps disregarding to the liberal know-nothing press.

Last edited:
Sad that you still don't know how to spell the president's name.

Except when the company stays but offshores its major manufacturing. Like in the case of Carrier and tons of other places that will reap the benefits of these breaks without actually protecting domestic jobs.

The facts here are inconsistent with your characterization. The plant is staying. That is onshore, actual domestic jobs protected.

It should be remembered that in the past 8 years laws have been passed and regulations issued that have encouraged companies to go overseas. Then the pols try to buy them off or issue new regulations to penalize them for leaving. Same thing happens in this country when states overtax and overregulate then offer sweet deals to individual companies. Terrible policy then and now.

"There is no global anthem. No global currency. No certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag and that flag is the American flag," he continued. "From now on it is going to be: America First... Never anyone again will any other interests come before the interest of the American people. It is not going to happen again."
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

This is what Harvard economist George Borjas, whose focus is immigration and the economy, has to say about Jeff Sessions:
It’s not often that I have much to say about these types of high-level government appointments. Typically, all I know is what I read in the papers. But this is one case where I do have some valuable private information.

I have met and “talked shop” with Senator Sessions a few times in the past. Those conversations always struck me as unusual. Unlike some other influential people in the immigration arena whom I have talked to, where I quickly began to suspect that their grasp of the nitty-gritty details was somewhat foggy, it was obvious that Senator Sessions was knowledgeable with and understood precisely what was going on in the immigration field.

Regardless of how one views his policy vision, there’s one thing we know for sure: The man at the helm of the Justice Department in the Trump administration, in charge of enforcing the immigration statutes, will be someone who has spent years studying the nooks and crannies of this obscure (and often incomprehensible) set of rules and regulations, who understands precisely how the immigration system is put together and is used (and misused) in the real world, and who strongly believes that the laws should be enforced. As I argued in an earlier blog post that provided some (unsolicited) advice to President-elect Trump, it seems to me that “enforcement first”–and specifically greatly slowing down the inflow of illegal immigrants–is a necessary first step if we are to have a sensible discussion about how to reform immigration policy. There isn’t a better qualified person in Washington to handle this job and to inform President-elect Trump about the various options.

On top of that, the senator is a very nice and approachable man, both in a professional and social setting. I always came away thinking that this must be what the “Southern gentleman” type is all about.
https://gborjas.org/2016/11/18/senator-sessions-for-attorney-general/

His only duty is to tell the truth, not lie about immigration, or sugarcoat it, because he himself is an immigrant and the reality is unpleasant.

If you want to identify the enemy of American workers, I can do that: it's capital.

Take your "workers of the world unite" commie gobbledygook and shove it. This is now the America First age. Sanity has been restored. All you America hating globalists can gtfo.

DJT last night:
"There is no global anthem. No global currency. No certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag and that flag is the American flag," he continued. "From now on it is going to be: America First"

Back