• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring!

Should I go in or not? Here's the message I got from my boss:

Roads in town are pretty good, county roads are terrible. Just do what you can but be safe. I'm here til I get xxxx bid out then I'm heading home. Tell me if I need to do anything for you before I go. Thanks

I probably wouldn't unless I had something I had to do.

Main roads are ok into Winston. Side streets havent been touched. We had the National Guard running calls with their Humvees last night due to the Ambulances not being able to reach the homes the calls originated from. We're fortunate we have 4wd firetrucks, but the Ambulances were screwed.

Main roads are ok into Winston. Side streets havent been touched. We had the National Guard running calls with their Humvees last night due to the Ambulances not being able to reach the homes the calls originated from. We're fortunate we have 4wd firetrucks, but the Ambulances were screwed.

A word of appreciation for all first responders. :thumbsup:

That's awesome.

Why would they ever make response vehicles that are not 4-wheel drive? Seems like that is something that would be very important on all fire trucks, EMS, and police cars.

That's awesome.

Why would they ever make response vehicles that are not 4-wheel drive? Seems like that is something that would be very important on all fire trucks, EMS, and police cars.

Speed on clear roads might be more important? :noidea:

That's awesome.

Weight is a big issue with ambulances and fire trucks. We run a fine balance between maximum weight and being overweight at all times due to the amount of equipment we're required to carry. We've got instachains. but there is only so much they can do. Being a rural department, we've got 4wd brush trucks, but many city departments that run strictly engines dont have the luxury.

They do make a 4wd urban interface engine, but those are mostly used out west where there are massive wildfires.

Wildland2.jpg

Have y'all ever had to open up as a shelter? I'm guessing y'all have a generator. I think I hear the snow plow!

Have y'all ever had to open up as a shelter? I'm guessing y'all have a generator. I think I hear the snow plow!
Yeah, each police/fire/EMS base is required to have a backup generator. The Red Cross opened up a shelter at the NG Armory, but we were lucky and had little to no power outages. The only time I can remember us opening the station as a shelter was back when a band of tornados came through.

I want one. How much?

It depends on how many accessories you want on it, but easily $300k-$500k.

Still snowing off and on here right now (Boston). There's another bit of storm coming through tomorrow that might bring up to six inches. Under a winter storm watch all day tomorrow again. Hopefully this will be the end of winter.

Drove into work in Charlotte around 7:45 this morning. Once you get to the main roads, you're fine. Everything else is sketchy. I was in a 5500 pound truck in 4wd, and it still bucked a time or two in the journey from my house until I got to 485

Yeah, main roads were clear and dry this morning. The Uptown streets are also clear, other than for the piles of snow from the plows. Getting to the main road from my house (about 3 miles) was a circus though. About 8" of unplowed snow on the street. I've got the same size truck as you but RWD, and it was the most fun I've had driving since I was a kid. When I got to the main road I was tempted to turn around and do it again.

Yeah, my road is a ton of ice. It was fun walking down that hill last night, step >>> slide, step >> slide a little.. repeat.

Our road has not been touched. I live on a cul-de-sac at the top of a steep hill. My wife is getting sick and I was going to take her to the doctor this morning using her 2WD SUV. Just getting the ice and snow off was a major task. Then I backed out of the drive way and got stuck in the middle of our cul-de-sac. A neighbor and I shoveled enough snow out of the way to get the car back into our drive way. The temperature is now 49 and there is no indication of melting. Ice on top of snow is a problem.

I think I could drive on my street but there's 2 feet of snow surrounding my car now thanks to the plowing.

Things are pretty good in HP. Being 45 sure helps.

Back