• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Love [Redacted]

You should have told them that your name was Paul Kennedy and that you are a close friend of Jeff's. Also, added that Jeff is miserable at Wake and is looking for a move back to the league. The icing on th cake would have been if you'd have told him that Jeff better knows you by your nickname, DV7, and to let him know that you gave the reference when he calls.

Win...

Head Basketball Coach Defined:

1. Having the knowledge, skill, and experience to properly assess the game of basketball at the level at which you are coaching (big difference in NBA, college, high school in how you approach the game)
2. Having either the innate personality or fortitude to imprint your knowledge onto your team in an actionable manner.

#1 is much easier than #2. #2 is downright impossible to be honest, and that is why you see coaches being paid in the millions.

Last edited:
Spurs Love [Redacted]
tumblr_mplzqsaKXy1rm9wswo1_500.gif

I don't think he does. Our offense dribbles around for 30 seconds, clanks one off the rim and we seldom, if ever, have ANYONE in rebounding position.
Our defense is just God-awful in most games.

Not sure where this idea of a "brilliant X and 0" coach originated. I've yet to see it.

This x 1,000,000,000,000,000

In the coaching fraternity, you don't kick a down man. You just don't hire him. It's not like the Spurs are going to bring him on board. Even Jim Harrick had basketball jobs after the UGA disgrace. If serious character flaws aren't enough to keep you from coaching, being an anti-social dolt with a weak W/L record isn't going to be. [Redacted] will be some scout or assistant somewhere, probably the NBA after he's finished being the Wake wrecking-ball for Wellman Demolition. So no reason for any coach or organization to run anyone down.

I don't think he does. Our offense dribbles around for 30 seconds, clanks one off the rim and we seldom, if ever, have ANYONE in rebounding position.
Our defense is just God-awful in most games.

Not sure where this idea of a "brilliant X and 0" coach originated. I've yet to see it.

maybe x/o refer to his ability at tic tac toe. He may never lose at the game.

I'm at the summer league sitting next to Spurs GM RC Buford and other Spurs brass. Out of nowhere, they mentioned Jeff [Redacted]. I piped in, saying that I had just graduated from Wake and that [Redacted] has been catching a lot of heat in Winston-Salem, to say the least.

They responded by saying, "That's a shame. He's a really great coach. One of the smartest guys in the college game," and proceeded to sing his praises for a couple more minutes.

Surprising stuff.

A more reasonable explanation... They were being sarcastic, just executing what for them is a long time running joke they have going with Tim Duncan. But when they saw that you (fresh out of college) did not realize that, they trolled you big time.

A more reasonable explanation... They were being sarcastic, just executing what for them is a long time running joke they have going with Tim Duncan. But when they saw that you (fresh out of college) did not realize that, they trolled you big time.

watch out dalbert will neg rep you for insinuating he may be lying or has been duped.

Last edited:
I agree that Bz knows the game but does not teach it very well. During practice, he spends too much time talking and too little time breaking the skills down into components and working on repetition-based execution. Remember how often he would say after another bad loss that he told the players something and they didnt execute ... "just ask them"? That was often true. He would talk about it in practice, but they did not physically repeat it sufficiently to the point where they could successfully execute it in game situations against top-flight opposition on a consistent basis. This short-coming is especially problematic with a young team, which we have managed to have every year of the Bz era. Finally, I agree that most folks who have interacted with the man on a one-on-one basis find him to be a very socially awkward individual.

Thanks for filling out a little more detail on what most people already sensed from listening to Buzz and watching his teams play. Buzz is simply lacking some crucial components for a college coach: namely, he may know a lot of basketball but he is so disconnected from his audience that he can't communicate what he knows, much less teach it effectively. And how he might be able to motivate anyone is pretty much beyond me. Players who come to Wake better be self motivators for sure. The won-lost record just provides the numerical evidence for these things.

Buzz is like a salesman, who knows tons of information about how the product he is trying to sell is made, but he can't organize this knowledge and present it in a fashion that will convince his potential customers to buy. And this problem can't be solved because he just can't connect with his audience. Put another way, Buzz is like a college prof, who simply reads his lecture without looking up, and then leaves the room.

Head coaching record
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
UMBC Retrievers (NCAA Division I Independent) (1986–1988)
1986–87 UMBC 12–16
1987–88 UMBC 13–15
UMBC: 25–31
Air Force Falcons (Mountain West Conference) (2005–2007)
2005–06 Air Force 24–7 12–4 2nd NCAA Tournament 1st Round
2006–07 Air Force 26–9 10–6 T–3rd NIT Semifinal
Air Force: 50–16 22–10
Colorado Buffaloes (Big 12 Conference) (2007–2010)
2007–08 Colorado 12–20 3–13 12th
2008–09 Colorado 9–22 1–15 12th
2009–10 Colorado 15–16 6–10 8th
Colorado: 36–58 10–38
Wake Forest Demon Deacons (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2010–present)
2010–11 Wake Forest 8–24 1–15 12th
2011–12 Wake Forest 13–18 4–12 T-12th
2012–13 Wake Forest 13–18 6–12 T-9th
Wake Forest: 33–59 10–39
Total: 144–164

If you ignore the aberration of the AFA years, when he won with Mooney's players, Buzz's record has become worse with each new college job. As he has grown older, his huge communiction disabilities as a coach have steadily become more and more debilitating.

Repetition-based execution is my new mantra.

I am going to add that tag line to my daily morning yoga sessions, to go along with "Jeff [Redacted]: the worst coach in ACC history" and "Wake Forest University: Losing The Right Way Since 2010" and "Try the fullback out at WR."

So BabyDeac, let me know if I have this correct. Bz doesn't run as many drills as most coaches in practice. Instead he does more classroom work. As a result, our players are thinking more than doing on the court.

Buzz is like a salesman, who knows tons of information about how the product he is trying to sell is made, but he can't organize this knowledge and present it in a fashion that will convince his potential customers to buy. And this problem can't be solved because he just can't connect with his audience.

Richard Hayden: Of course I understand what "no" means. But if I took no for an answer I would probably wind up on a street corner selling spicy hot dogs and wearing a funny hat. It makes sense, doesn't it?

Mr. Brady: Look, I've been doing business with Callahan for a long time, ever since I put up my first shingle. But I'm going to be honest with you. I don't like you, probably never will. You're a smug unhappy little man and you treat people like they were idiots.

Back