• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Love [Redacted]

So BabyDeac, let me know if I have this correct. Bz doesn't run as many drills as most coaches in practice. Instead he does more classroom work. As a result, our players are thinking more than doing on the court.

Our players are not slow because they're thinking. They're slow because they're slow.

I think it's probably both. Our team isn't particularly athletic.

So BabyDeac, let me know if I have this correct. Bz doesn't run as many drills as most coaches in practice. Instead he does more classroom work. As a result, our players are thinking more than doing on the court.

Pretty typical for freshmen though. I think it is unfair to hold "over teaching" against him last year when we had like what? 3 scholly athletes with experience in the rotation?

But this is why this board's anti-Bzd venom is as pathetic and annoying as the other board stroke it set. He's not Coach K revisited nor is he the anti-Christ. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of posters on either board that seem to be able to walk the road in the middle.

He's an extremely knowledgeable basketball coach. He's not really a leader of young men. There are those on the staff that are, but it's weird that they report to a guy who does not. Add to that the lack of grace under pressure, under fire, and you have a train wreck of a first three years. Most of that is on Wellman and Bzd with a sprinkling of bad luck thrown in. Wellman deserves the long rope he earned up through our soccer national championship, but he's just about used all of it protecting his decision to make an against the grain hire of a basketball mind who was not youthful, did not bring enthusiasm with him, brought a strong moral compass (super) but a milquetoast public persona, thin skin and possibly a pasta noodle of a spine.

I want him to succeed simply because it would be a holy fuck are you kidding me that guy story nationally. But my initial enthusiasm for this hire was way way off base and the last three years have sucked mostly but not wholly because it was a bad hire.

Do the Spurs have one of those relationships with a WNBA franchise, like where the WNBA team has shared ownership and is like a sister franchise? If so, perhaps that is our best shot for getting [Redacted] to the WNBA.

And with whom does most of the blame lie that we only had 3 scholarship athletes with experience last season?

Every time somebody tries to defend [Redacted] from fair questions, they only bring up more questions about his ability to lead this program successfully.

I don't see what's wrong with running drills with freshmen and learning the sets through hands on methods if that's what Baby meant.

Holy fucking shit, dudes, check this out:

"The San Antonio Silver Stars are one of four professional sports franchises owned and operated by Spurs Sports & Entertainment – the San Antonio Spurs (NBA), the Rampage (AHL) and the Austin Toros (NBA D-League) – and play their home games at the SS&E operated AT&T Center."

THIS COULD HAPPEN

silverstars.gif

"R. C. Buford is the general manager of the San Antonio Spurs NBA basketball team. He was given the title by his predecessor, Gregg Popovich, in 2002 after five seasons as team president. He is also the president of sports franchises for Spurs Sports & Entertainment."

I think he has a good basketball mind, I just think he's so bad with people that it's completely overshadowed.

Perxactly. Big difference in the college game & the pro game. Dealing with people & parents and recruiting is the main deal down here. That is something RW missed the boat of big time when doing this hiring. Gotta be a people person at the college level and be able to relate to teenagers.

"R. C. Buford is the general manager of the San Antonio Spurs NBA basketball team. He was given the title by his predecessor, Gregg Popovich, in 2002 after five seasons as team president. He is also the president of sports franchises for Spurs Sports & Entertainment."

I'm imagining a Blurred Lines promo video of Jeff dancing with a couple WNBA players. How can we make this happen?

We don't like lineups like this:

PG - Derrick McQueen
SG - Childress
SF - Anthony Tucker
PF - Chris King
C - Rodney Rogers

That is way too athletic and I am not sure those guys could "get" what Buzz is teaching. LMFAO.

I think it's probably both. Our team isn't particularly athletic.

Perxactly. Big difference in the college game & the pro game. Dealing with people & parents and recruiting is the main deal down here. That is something RW missed the boat of big time when doing this hiring. Gotta be a people person at the college level and be able to relate to teenagers.
How many hot-shot coordinaters get NFL HC jobs and can't hack it. Norv Turner and Wade Phillips come to mind. Bzz has reached his ceiling, according to the Peter Principle.

Buzz sure doesn't show his basketball knowledge in his press conferences. He usually just runs through the box score and makes excuses.

"Devin had a nice game with a double double, Cody chipped in with 10."

Off topic, but I had my first in-person conversation with a couple in total support of Bz today.

They claimed to be totally against the hire but fully against firing him. What. The. Hell. I guess he's proven himself in the past three years.

How many hot-shot coordinaters get NFL HC jobs and can't hack it. Norv Turner and Wade Phillips come to mind. Bzz has reached his ceiling, according to the Peter Principle.

Yeah but usually those coordinators do fine when they drop down to a college HC job after failing as an NFL HC (Pete Carroll; Chan Gailey; even Butch Davis sans extra cirricular activities), especially relative to the power of the college they go to. This would be like Josh McDaniels getting the HC job at Georgia and getting steamrolled by UNC-Charlotte and VMI.

In three years, I haven't seen his coaching brilliance shine through yet. He must be saving it for year four. If he has another .500 year, I'm sure he'll be saving it for year five.

CMM and Moto are pretty athletic, the others not so much.

Buzz sure doesn't show his basketball knowledge in his press conferences. He usually just runs through the box score and makes excuses.

"Devin had a nice game with a double double, Cody chipped in with 10."

Watch an NBA post game press conference. NBA coaches do the exact same thing ...

Off topic, but I had my first in-person conversation with a couple in total support of Bz today.

They claimed to be totally against the hire but fully against firing him. What. The. Hell. I guess he's proven himself in the past three years.

Surely they articulated some kind of rationale for this "thinking." Or were they holding out for someone even worse?

Yeah but usually those coordinators do fine when they drop down to a college HC job after failing as an NFL HC (Pete Carroll; Chan Gailey; even Butch Davis sans extra cirricular activities), especially relative to the power of the college they go to. This would be like Josh McDaniels getting the HC job at Georgia and getting steamrolled by UNC-Charlotte and VMI.
Tom O'Brian left that job, went to Penn St and lost to OHIO in his opener. Yet, was given a raise to keep him in Happy Valley and not go back top the NFL. I see your point, but look at what he did at Colorado. As soon as they brought in a coach that could coach in a game , they made it to the dance. A better example was a story Donald Trump once told. He had a classmate at Wharton who was brilliant in the world of finance. But he called Trump looking for help choosing a mortgage. The guy couldn't make a decision when it came to his own money. Bzz can watch video with the best of them, but he can't make the clutch call as the clock is winding down.

Back