• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Love [Redacted]

Tom O'Brian left that job, went to Penn St and lost to OHIO in his opener. Yet, was given a raise to keep him in Happy Valley and not go back top the NFL.

A lot of wrong/misleading info here.

It seems EVERYONE who doesn't have to deal with [Redacted] actually running their team loves him.

Watch an NBA post game press conference. NBA coaches do the exact same thing ...

Most NBA coaches just despise talking to the media in any capacity. Sometimes I think rambling through the box score is a way for them to get off the podium asap.

Tom O'Brian left that job, went to Penn St and lost to OHIO in his opener. Yet, was given a raise to keep him in Happy Valley and not go back top the NFL. I see your point, but look at what he did at Colorado. As soon as they brought in a coach that could coach in a game , they made it to the dance. A better example was a story Donald Trump once told. He had a classmate at Wharton who was brilliant in the world of finance. But he called Trump looking for help choosing a mortgage. The guy couldn't make a decision when it came to his own money. Bzz can watch video with the best of them, but he can't make the clutch call as the clock is winding down.

You're seriously trying to compare the situation that O'Brien took over at Penn State post-Sandusky to what [Redacted] took over at Wake post-Dino?

Eye on the prize, y'all. This WNBA thing is no pipe dream. This could really happen.

Off topic, but I had my first in-person conversation with a couple in total support of Bz today.

They claimed to be totally against the hire but fully against firing him. What. The. Hell. I guess he's proven himself in the past three years.

Surely they articulated some kind of rationale for this "thinking." Or were they holding out for someone even worse?

You beat me to it 94. I hope vtwhat was able to follow up and get them to explain themselves because I cannot imagine the kind of twisted logic that was necessary to reach that conclusion.

I might not share the opinion, but it can certainly be argued that [Redacted] should get 4 years to turn around the program. He was hired to rebuild, and 4 years is a pretty standard amount of time for that. If you fire a rebuild effort early, every coach you interview will ask if their leash will be as short. Many will simply not be interested in working for the same AD.

Yeah but usually those coordinators do fine when they drop down to a college HC job after failing as an NFL HC (Pete Carroll; Chan Gailey; even Butch Davis sans extra cirricular activities), especially relative to the power of the college they go to. This would be like Josh McDaniels getting the HC job at Georgia and getting steamrolled by UNC-Charlotte and VMI.

LOL at your equating Wake Forest basketball with Georgia football.

I might not share the opinion, but it can certainly be argued that [Redacted] should get 4 years to turn around the program. He was hired to rebuild, and 4 years is a pretty standard amount of time for that. If you fire a rebuild effort early, every coach you interview will ask if their leash will be as short. Many will simply not be interested in working for the same AD.

Yeah, it can be "argued" because people make nonsensical arguments all the time. But he was NOT hired to "rebuild". We were NOT a rebuilding job until after Jeff [Redacted] got his hands on the program.

As to the sentence in bold above... I agree with it as a stand alone statement. That is probably the reason we ended up with Buzz in the first place.

Yeah, it can be "argued" because people make nonsensical arguments all the time. But he was NOT hired to "rebuild". We were NOT a rebuilding job until after Jeff [Redacted] got his hands on the program.

We were picked to finish last in the ACC and that was before Woods and Tony Chenault were taken out of the equation. We were going to be rebuilding no matter who was coach.

We were picked to finish last in the ACC and that was before Woods and Tony Chenault were taken out of the equation. We were going to be rebuilding no matter who was coach.

We were picked last after Bz was hired as coach.

Which preseason standings came out before Woods was arrested and suspended?

We fired a winning coach and hired Jeff [Redacted], then (surprise) we get picked to finish last. I don't know anyone who predicted the depths of purgatory to which the Buzz took our program. We did not have the 250th worst talent in Division I. We just had a coach who made it look that way.

And now, thanks to Jeff [Redacted] and Ron Wellman, we do need to hire someone to "rebuild" the program from the ashes of their incompetence.

Tony Woods was suspended on September 13th.

The pre-season standings came out some time around October 20th.

Chennault broke his foot in the first game of the year (November 12th).

So we had Chennault when those rankings came out, but did not have Tony Woods.

I'm guessing we would have been projected 9th or 10th if Woods had not been suspended, but that is clear speculation. I think most people thought the first year would have its bumps and bruises, but nobody could have predicted that we would do as poorly as we did.

I don't think it was viewed as a rebuild to most fans as much as it was a year where the freshmen needed to get adjusted moving forward.

Last edited:
We were picked last after Bz was hired as coach.

Which preseason standings came out before Woods was arrested and suspended?

We were picked last because we lost almost all of our talent, were going to have to play several freshmen, not because the new coach was [Redacted].

IIRC it was the ACC sportswriters who voted on the preseason rankings over the summer.

Looked it up and the ACC sports writers poll was after TW's arrest and suspension. I still think there was another poll that was done earlier with the same result. In either event, we knew that 2010 was going to be a rebuilding year.

Back