• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

We'll see how far a team can get with a bunch 19-24 year olds under long-term contracts plus some vets with one or two years left.

I honestly don’t know if this possible or advisable with the excitement of Wemby, but could the Spurs slow play this rebuild one more year? Not full tank, but try to get into lottery tank? Manage Wemby’s minutes/development, trade McDermott and anyone else with value, play all the young guys and see what you have?

Wesley, Branham, Champagnie, Cissoko, Barlow starting. Brahnam with the first 5 points + a Champagnie 3 for a 8-0 start.

Seems like a good trade. I firmly expect most any pick swap in 2030 will be a net positive for the Spurs. I expect Luka to ask out of Dallas at some point, so I'm very happy with that one. Bullock has one year left on his contract. He's a good shooter. Seems like a good teammate. Only downside is hearing Bill Land bring back his "Tarheel Triple" call.

Right now, the Spurs have six players on the last year of their contracts totaling $47.6M:
-Zach Collins ($7.7M)
-Doug McDermott ($13.8M)
-Khem Birch ($7M)
-Cedi Osman ($6.7M)
-Lamar Stevens ($1.9M)
-Reggie Bullock ($10.5M)

Right now the roster is at 17 players.

I like Collins.

They need to move McDermott asap and probably Birch, too. Maybe nobody wants McDermott lol.

Expecting a breakout from Branham, and if Champagnie and Cissoko can contribute --- things could get interesting.

Depth is past 15 guys, but looking better:

Tre J -- Devonte Graham -- Wesley
Vassell -- Branham -- Champagnie
Keldon -- McDermott? -- Bullock
Sochan - Cedi Osman -- Cissoko -- Barlow
Vic -- Collins -- Mamu -- Bassey

Osman needs to be ready to ball as there's an opportunity there. If he's not, seems like LOTS of guys can fill that backup 4-man role. Same with Bullock, needs to be ready.

I am not sure why they need Graham, since Wesley is coming on strong.

If they include Graham, McDermott, Bullock, Mamu in a trade for Dame Lillard, why not, then they've got:

Dame/Tre J.
Vassell/Branham
Keldon/Champagnie
Sochan/Osman
Vic/Collins

I prefer that! Hah!

One other thing, he's obviously be 3rd or 4th team (G-league) PG, but just watching some of the Spurs set plays, and high screen and rolls freeing up the ballhandler to shoot or drive (basic fundamental basketball), I think Ty Appleby would succeed in this system.

If he does not stick with the Bulls.

I honestly don’t know if this possible or advisable with the excitement of Wemby, but could the Spurs slow play this rebuild one more year? Not full tank, but try to get into lottery tank? Manage Wemby’s minutes/development, trade McDermott and anyone else with value, play all the young guys and see what you have?
GM Brian Wright has said a few times the plan is to play the young guys and see what they have. The moves they've made since confirm that. I don't think they're planning a slow tank but they could transition to one if injuries derail the season or the roster doesn't work. They're positioned to go all in with this roster with three options leading up to the trade deadline.

If they want to throttle down and slow tank, they can sell off expiring contracts for more assets. They did that last year with Poeltl which netted them the Cissoko pick and a 2024 Raptors pick top 6 protected. None of these players are as good as Poeltl, but they could get a late round 2024 1st, heavily protected 1st, or some future 2nds from a contender.

If they want to make a playoff push, they can include those expiring contracts with picks to trade for a star. The market will be stronger at the trade deadline than it was this offseason and current Spurs players will have more trade value. Any number of players could be disgruntled 6 months from now.

Thanks to that Raptors pick, there's a decent chance they end up with a lottery pick regardless. I suspect the Spurs will end up with two picks in the teens and the Hornets top 14 protected pick won't convey (I hope they trade it). The Spurs have multiple 1st round picks or a pick swap through 2030 except for 2029. In general, they shouldn't tank except to salvage a bad season.

Depth is past 15 guys, but looking better:

Tre J -- Devonte Graham -- Wesley
Vassell -- Branham -- Champagnie
Keldon -- McDermott? -- Bullock
Sochan - Cedi Osman -- Cissoko -- Barlow
Vic -- Collins -- Mamu -- Bassey

Osman needs to be ready to ball as there's an opportunity there. If he's not, seems like LOTS of guys can fill that backup 4-man role. Same with Bullock, needs to be ready.

I am not sure why they need Graham, since Wesley is coming on strong.

If they include Graham, McDermott, Bullock, Mamu in a trade for Dame Lillard, why not, then they've got:

Dame/Tre J.
Vassell/Branham
Keldon/Champagnie
Sochan/Osman
Vic/Collins

I prefer that! Hah!
I really like the depth. I'd like to see them get a veteran backup PG who is better than Graham, but that may just be me underselling Graham. The best available FAs are in the Ish territory. They could trade for the tier PG I'm talking about for a few 2nd rounders, Birch, and Stevens, but not sure who takes that for the salary relief. I could see Branham running point in some lineups too. I think Wesley will go back and forth to Austin.

I think Cissoko gets a two-way contract this year and is on the roster next year. His defense and passing are very promising.

I think the plan was to sign Barlow to another two-way contract, but he looks like he could get a roster spot somewhere if not for the Spurs. They'll need to sign him to keep him. He also looks like he could play PF and C which makes him a better fit for this rotation.

Yeah, Barlow is a keeper. I didn't realize he was an OTE guy. He looks great for a guy that young. I kind of want the Clippers to offer him a contract.

What happens when a protected pick doesn’t convey? Does it just float to the next year? Or convert to a 2nd round pick? Or is it just lost?

Barlow is 20 so he would have been an old college freshman. He made a huge leap in one year. He shouldn't settle for a two-way deal this year.

A protected pick floats to the next year maybe loosening the protections until it becomes two 2nd round picks in back to back seasons. The Hornets top 14 protected pick was originally traded to the Knicks for #19 pick Kai Jones. The Knicks traded it to the Hawks in the Cam Reddish deal. Then the Hawks traded it to the Spurs in the Dejounte deal. It was top 18 protected in 2022, top 16 protected in 2023, and is top 14 protected in 2024 and 2025. So basically if the Hornets don't make the playoffs the next two years it becomes 2026 and 2027 2nd rounders. That's one reason I wanted them to draft Scoot.

The Raptors pick is top 6 protected in 2024, 2025, and 2026. If it doesn't convey, it becomes 2026 and 2027 2nd rounders. The Raptors can't trade their 2025 or 2026 picks until that pick conveys.

I use this site to understand future picks better.

What kind of player is Barlow, Ph? I've only seen him in Summer League this year. Seems like a combo-forward if he can get some better ball skills?

Honestly, I don't have a great answer for good reasons. Based on last year's Summer League and his 28 appearances last season, I would say he's lean fairly athletic big who flashed some decent rim protection and rim running skills and is an adequate rebounder.

But the last two games, he showcased a deft midrange game, switchability, strong interior defense and shotblocking, handles, and nice passing. A few days ago, I assumed he was a two-way player who could maybe get a contract next season or bounce around the G-League for a few years until he reached his potential as a back-of-the-rotation player. Now he looks like he could be a rotation big for most of the league. If the Spurs sign him to a 4/10-12 like Bassey and Champagnie, that could be the future frontcourt bench locked up through Wemby's rookie deal for less than $35M a year.

Will bullock actually be a contributor or is this just another dude they trade for just to cut him the next day?

I'm really liking where Los Spurs are right now. Lots of young, versatile, talented pieces and draft capital.

Also, no idea where they end up, but I'm excited to watch.

Will bullock actually be a contributor or is this just another dude they trade for just to cut him the next day?
Stevens and Birch are most likely to get cut/trade fodder.

Bullock has started over 80% of regular season games over the last 6 seasons. If they can play him off the bench, that's huge.

The Spurs can go with a young starting lineup of Jones/Vassell/Keldon/Sochan/Wemby. Then they can go with a veteran bench of Graham/Bullock/McDermott/Osman/Collins and a young bench of Wesley/Branham/Champagnie/Barlow/Bassey. And I left out Mamu/Birch/Stevens.

Also, no idea where they end up, but I'm excited to watch.
Same. Most exciting Spurs season in awhile.

Back