• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

St. Bonaventure Game Thread - Deacs win 77-62 off to 9-2 start

All I know is that I like the fight in the guys that we have. If they put as much effort into the rest of the season as they have started it then we will be playing every team close for the rest of the season.

speaking of what this team would look like with a new coaching staff, Whichita ST vs Alabama is on ESPU in a minute. Id take either bench in that game.

I hope people tuned in and saw the 2OT finish of Florida Gulf Coast and USF.

The success, or lack of it, for the balance of our season will have a lot to do with whether we can minimize the needless turnovers we seem prone to commit, and our performance at the free throw line. Games (are being) will be called tighter, and that means more trips to the stripe. I do not understand college basketball players that don't shoot at least 65% from the line.

This team looks like it is trying to form an identity. I like it that they seem bent on winning...a sense of pride there, perhaps? I don't think [Redacted] is our guy, but I can certainly be happy for the players.

I hope people tuned in and saw the 2OT finish of Florida Gulf Coast and USF.

I did. I also saw the ball leave the kid's hands before the red light illuminated to end the 2nd OT. Oh well.

Yeah. But the tip rule overrules that. Sucks but it helps account for scoreboard operator error. I think .3999999999 seconds is enough time to catch and shoot but the rule disagrees.

Last edited:
Yeah. But the tip rule overrules that. Sucks but it helps account for scorekeeper error. I think .3999999999 seconds is enough time to catch and shoot but the rule disagrees.

Apparently.

So in a decade we could make the second round of the tournament if we keep [Redacted] thanks to all of his genius coaching and program building? Count me in.

It's comical that you have several posts pointing out strategic coaching moves that were made regarding 2nd half adjustments on defense, changing the rotation, adjusting shot selection, resting players in an opportune way, etc. that were/are instrumental in improving our chances of winning games.....then you have the usual people posting comments that "this team could be solid if it had a coach".

Who do you think is responsible for these coaching moves? Do you think the players have made all these improvements on their own, without any input from the coach? The truth of the matter is that some of you are so invested in your hatred of [Redacted] by now that you are not going to give him credit for anything....no matter what he does...because if he does well with this team it will mean that you are wrong, and your fragile egos cannot handle that.

The simple fact is that this team is much improved over last year....much improved....and it is continuing to get better with each game. It is not a world-beater, of course, but it is an improving team that has already shown a lot of resilience...and a lot of heart....and it is going to win more games than many of you thought (hoped?) it would. And [Redacted] deserves some of the credit for that....but he's never going to get it on this board.

Yes but if we give credit where credit is due that means we can't continue talk about the players and hired help (the coach) like they out too much salt on the eggs and too much milk in the cereal.

It's comical that you have several posts pointing out strategic coaching moves that were made regarding 2nd half adjustments on defense, changing the rotation, adjusting shot selection, resting players in an opportune way, etc. that were/are instrumental in improving our chances of winning games.....then you have the usual people posting comments that "this team could be solid if it had a coach".

Who do you think is responsible for these coaching moves? Do you think the players have made all these improvements on their own, without any input from the coach? The truth of the matter is that some of you are so invested in your hatred of [Redacted] by now that you are not going to give him credit for anything....no matter what he does...because if he does well with this team it will mean that you are wrong, and your fragile egos cannot handle that.

The simple fact is that this team is much improved over last year....much improved....and it is continuing to get better with each game. It is not a world-beater, of course, but it is an improving team that has already shown a lot of resilience...and a lot of heart....and it is going to win more games than many of you thought (hoped?) it would. And [Redacted] deserves some of the credit for that....but he's never going to get it on this board.

You'll notice that different people are saying different things. You're also talking about two distinctly different game plans: offensive and defensive.

[Redacted]'s most important adjustments came on the defensive end. Like you said - credit where credits due, and Buzz deserves credit for switching to zone when they were running all over our man.

Our offensive game plan, once again, sucked: let the scorers score, run in transition, and stagnate in the halfcourt offense. It's classic Roy-ball, IMO. That's awesome when you're playing bad teams and/or your stars are on-point. We'll see how the guys fare against some of the better teams in the ACC. Our best ball undeniably came in transition; the half-court offense was putrid once again... We're so supremely lucky that CMM turned out to be a stud and that Cav joined Devin as an asset down low. We have three guys who can create a bit of offense with Coron and Travis to collect the trash and spot-up.

The tightened rotations are a function of guys playing well and Dre, Moto, and Madison playing like crap - to be perfectly honest, Buzz sucks as much with rotations as Dino did; there's just less talent to split hairs over.

I'm just going to guess that you didn't watch the game and are trolling, as you've been doing recently. We looked better, and undeniably better, but I still think the team would benefit from some proper coaching, as the flashes are there but we have yet to put together two halves of stellar play against legitimate talent.

Bkf is right, Buzz will get no credit. Nor should he. He should probably just quit.

This. There's no reason for this thread to continue.

You know nothing about basketball.
Says the guy who wasn't BuzzOut until like what, last year. I don't see Tree really ever developing much of an offensive game. Combine that with McClinton on the team, and I don't really see Tree ever getting much PT. And Overton, well, he has no athleticism and is a poor ball handler. A spot-up 3 point shooter is his max potential, and he really hasn't shown me he can shoot. If they end up being significant role players, I'll be the first to eat crow.

Actually, that is a solid post.

Bkf is right, Buzz will get no credit. Nor should he. He should probably just quit.

You should just quit. You stay on these boards spouting off your shit about who should be fired and who sucks at their job. Sounds like somebody is unhappy with their personal life.

Actually the 2 half game plan was smart. They were very physical with us in the 1st half contesting every cut and shot. We could not get an open look. We used their aggression against them in the 2nd half by attacking the rim and got them in foul trouble. They had to dial it down a bit and we got some better looks. Our shooting % went from the 30s to over 60. We made good adjustments on both sides of the ball.

Says the guy who wasn't BuzzOut until like what, last year. I don't see Tree really ever developing much of an offensive game. Combine that with McClinton on the team, and I don't really see Tree ever getting much PT. And Overton, well, he has no athleticism and is a poor ball handler. A spot-up 3 point shooter is his max potential, and he really hasn't shown me he can shoot. If they end up being significant role players, I'll be the first to eat crow.

I've never thought Buzz was a perfect fit for Wake. I understand what he and the rest of the Athletic Department are looking to get done and I respect that as a fan. My comment about you knowing nothing about basketball stems from you saying Madison, Tree and Miles don't contribute to the team and never will. It's too early to make a call on Overton. Every team needs a backup point guard and we have Madison Jones. In regards to Tree- I've had a lot of fun watching him play the past couple of years. He isn't a polished player by any means but he brings energy to the team.

You are pathetic. How old are you, and how many years do you have invested in supporting Wake Forest? I lived and died with WF sports for 28 years, from the time I was 11 years old....back when there were almost no WF games on TV and you had to scan the radio dial at night to listen to them. And I was the first (and only) member of my family to go to WF, so I didn't have that family connection taking me to games and making me predisposed to want to pull for WF or to go to WF later. And I was raised in this state....which fueled my early hatred for UNC, because when I was growing up that's who just about all the kids were pulling for.

My guess is that you are under 30 and either 1) a legacy kid, or 2) a person who only started pulling for WF around the time that he decided to go to school there...and had probably never followed WF before your last year or two in HS when you first thought about going there, and couldn't name a single WF player when he was in the 8th grade. About the only other scenerio is that you are fairly young and was raised in the area, having had exposure to WF as a result of all the games on TV that we have today.....but I'd bet on one of the first two scenerios.

No one does sanctimony on this board better than BKF. I thought you might've peaked last year, Bob, but your body of work lately proves you're still a prime-time troll. Well done!

Back