• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of the Program: Wellman Interview

Ummmm, IIRC, Michigan played five freshman a lot of minutes last season in route to the National Title game. I understand how Ronnie and his crack of staff must have missed that, it wasn't a big story or anything.

Michigan's Freshmen played ~52% of Michigan's minutes over the course of the season last season.

Michigan's Freshen played ~60% of Michigan's minutes in the final four.

The basketball's team GPA was news to me and a good thing. That's my only positive take-away.

I don't think Wellman started off being a shithead. But it's like he opened a quality restaurant that got serious Michelin kudos for a few years, but one of the two managers died and the other just got old. The food started to suck but Wellman kept finding splinters of positivity. The pork belly appetizer was still awesome according to recent reviews. The new chef needed time to remake the kitchen. To the point that four years forward and the restaurant only appeals to tourists and really old people that lost their taste buds years ago. Somehow that tallys into the metrics are still good. Go figure.

The pork belly is really really good though, so there is that.

"Many of our fans recognize that the team has improved each year that Jeff has been our coach. We must build a program with certain values and standards for us to be successful at Wake Forest. There are no shortcuts. Jeff has made every decision for the long-term welfare of our program and, as a result, our program will continue to improve this year and subsequent years. We have the foundation and players that will allow us to do that."

If anyone can decipher the bolded portion of this idiot's comment, please, by all means, feel free to do so.

Why do we have to build a program anyway... Even if something was wrong under Dino, and after the School and the AD approved admitting the players, you don't say the porch needs to be replaced, let's dig up the foundation of the whole house.

That assumes the booKs aren't cooKed.

So is it true that your controller in charge of providing those numbers has a history of charges related to cooking the booKKs at KKD. I'm sure a number of people in Winston lost their shirts the way that a number of hoops fans are losing their hope....

Sorry did I say that out loud?

The attendance numbers are not the actual number of fans that attended the games. It's the number of tickets that were distributed. Just some very simple number crunching... Let's say we averaged 400 students in 2012 (which would be REALLY generous) a 60% increase would put at a whopping 640 last year. But, 60% increase!!!!11!!!!1!! #wellmanlogic

Think you meant to say 40 and 64 students, respectively. Would definitely be more accurate.

Think you meant to say 40 and 64 students, respectively. Would definitely be more accurate.

I'd guess that the more accurate numbers would about 200 in 2012 to 320 last year. That's embarrassing being that 3 of the years I was at Wake, we had probably 1000 per game and had it at capacity many times during the 08-09 year.

The thing that bothers me most is that Wellman is taking statistics that aren't good and presenting them as evidence that we're doing just fine. A 60% increase in student attendance would be great if we didn't start at fucking 200. 3% increase in donations to the Deacon Club IS TERRIBLE! A 3% annual increase accounts simply for the escalator in a handful of big donation pledges. 3% doesn't even cover any additional expenditures for the new year in athletics. You want at least a 15-20% increase annually. I just can't believe that that he spins a 3% increase as good. That's absolutely abysmal.

The thing that bothers me most is that Wellman is taking statistics that aren't good and presenting them as evidence that we're doing just fine. A 60% increase in student attendance would be great if we didn't start at fucking 200. 3% increase in donations to the Deacon Club IS TERRIBLE! A 3% annual increase accounts simply for the escalator in a handful of big donation pledges. 3% doesn't even cover any additional expenditures for the new year in athletics. You want at least a 15-20% increase annually. I just can't believe that that he spins a 3% increase as good. That's absolutely abysmal.

I'm not really sure where we can find the information, but I'd really like to see a list of 25 or 30 schools that shows their increase in donations from 2012 to 2013. It would have to be public universities since those numbers would be public record. I'll guarantee you those numbers would be eye opening to say the least.

The basketball's team GPA was news to me and a good thing. That's my only positive take-away.

I don't think Wellman started off being a shithead. But it's like he opened a quality restaurant that got serious Michelin kudos for a few years, but one of the two managers died and the other just got old. The food started to suck but Wellman kept finding splinters of positivity. The pork belly appetizer was still awesome according to recent reviews. The new chef needed time to remake the kitchen. To the point that four years forward and the restaurant only appeals to tourists and really old people that lost their taste buds years ago. Somehow that tallys into the metrics are still good. Go figure.

You go Jaybone! An analogy that works for this particular thread!

You go Jaybone! An analogy that works for this particular thread!

I was about to post the same thing. I actually dug that analogy. Bonus points for not mentioning some odd sexual fetish.

I was about to post the same thing. I actually dug that analogy. Bonus points for not mentioning some odd sexual fetish.

LOL. I kept waiting to find out that the manager was getting it on with the chef in the walk-in...

jaybone likes it when i pork him and shoot all over his hairy belly

What a dickhead this guy is. The amount of smoke he blows up peoples asses are crazy. Our basketball team last year wasn't improving as the year went on. We peaked in January/early February and played like ass for the final month.... As to the donations, could it really have gone up 3%? Jesus, I can't believe people are giving more to the athletic department.

With the AD's new finance officer there is always the possibility that there is something hinky with the book-keeping. But I think that this is probably the result of last minute calls to Don Flow and a couple of other Wellman sycophants. There are probably about a half dozen people who have SIGNIFICANTLY increased their giving to help Ronnie boy hide his true record.

The real questions are:
1) How many members have dropped out of the DC in the last three years?
2) How many members have decreased their giving in the last three years?

But don't expect honest answers to these questions. You will not get them.

Last edited:
The 55% increase figure is a flat out lie. Don't let him get away with that garbage. There is no way our students started showing up at that pace, last year.

I can (maybe) buy the 11% overall figure. That is still very questionable.

Now that the Vandy kids got in trouble, I am sure Vandy will fire Franklin and Wellman can say "see, I told you so...culture."

Fuck you, Ron.

That's about all the effort I'll put into discussing our "leadership," and about all I can say at this point.

The 55% increase figure is a flat out lie. Don't let him get away with that garbage. There is no way our students started showing up at that pace, last year.
Could be the increase from non-con to conference.

Back