• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of the Union Address Delayed Until After Shutdown

Honestly it's just two separate issues, each of which are pretty straightforward. The president is required to give a SOTU and can choose whatever form he wants but that does not give him carte blanche to go wherever he wants to give the SOTU. Which runs into the second issue: as co-equal branches of government, the executive must be invited by the legislative branch to appear on the House floor. So he can't simply show up to give his SOTU on the House floor without an invite - not because of any real limitation related to the address itself but due to the second point.

Also the president cannot ordinarily "convene" the legislative branch - they're co-equal branches.

ETA: I'm sure there are emergency situations where he can do so.

Everyone here says you are wrong in this position.

POTUS does not rule over Congress. He can't dictate who can and cannot speak in their building. He isn't king.

You are just plain wrong.

Also the president cannot ordinarily "convene" the legislative branch - they're co-equal branches.

once again:

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

Yeah I'm familiar with that part - in practice though it's unclear what that means.

i think it means the President shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

i think it means the President shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

Yeah thanks.

Yeah I'm familiar with that part - in practice though it's unclear what that means.

"Including President Donald J. Trump’s 2018 address, there have been a total of 95 in-person Annual Messages/State of the Union Addresses. Since President Woodrow Wilson’s 1913 address, there have been a total of 83 in-person addresses."

"The constitutionally mandated presidential message has gone through a few name changes:

It was formally known as the Annual Message from 1790 to 1946.
It began to be informally called the "state of the Union" message/address from 1942 to 1946.
Since 1947 it has officially been known as the State of the Union Address."

Next time I need a lawyer for something I'm hiring RJKarl.

Thanks.

Interesting times.
Anyone think he is considering going forward and just show up with his secret service detail, and maybe 50 federal marshalls and 250 marines.

Thanks.

Interesting times.
Anyone think he is considering going forward and just show up with his secret service detail, and maybe 50 federal marshalls and 250 marines.

How hilarious would it be if he showed up with all the Congressional Republicans in tow and were rebuffed by security enforcing Pelosi's orders. Then he just turned around walked away and said, "I told you walls work."

I'd give him props for that stunt.

Thanks.

Interesting times.

Considering it? Maybe. To what end though? Storming a co-equal branch of government by force and unilateral decree is a good way to get not just impeached but thrown in jail on federal charges.

Thanks.

Interesting times.

They could be charged with trespassing. No one would be there anyway.

But your hero would look like the dictator he dreams of being.

Considering it? Maybe. To what end though? Storming a co-equal branch of government by force and unilateral decree is a good way to get not just impeached but thrown in jail on federal charges.

The Senate will celebrate him as a strong leader who would not bow to partisan demands.

Taking things out of context is dishonest and bullshit.

Back