• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of the Union Address Delayed Until After Shutdown

And Canadian

tenor.gif

Some of the board lawyers may have a better understanding.
The president can give a SOTU address anywhere and anytime he desires. The speaker cannot prevent him from giving it in congress. The president can probably bar the speaker from attending. This is pursuant to the constitution, correct?

Well they only other response really is to give in to his toddler-like temper tantrum, so I don’t think anything Pelosi has done is petty. She’s basically acting like his mother, letting him know that he isn’t going to get dessert if he acts like this. The GOP had 2 years to curtail Trump and gladly ignored his bullshit. Someone had to.

tenor.gif

The president can give a SOTU address anywhere and anytime he desires. The speaker cannot prevent him from giving it in congress. The president can probably bar the speaker from attending. This is pursuant to the constitution, correct?

Yeah it used to be written and submitted to Congress

The address fulfills the requirement in Article II, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution for the President to periodically "give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient."[1] During most of the country's first century, the President primarily only submitted a written report to Congress. After 1913, Woodrow Wilson, the 28th U.S. President, began the regular practice of delivering the address to Congress in person as a way to rally support for the President's agenda.[1] With the advent of radio and television, the address is now broadcast live across the country on many networks.[4] 2019 marked the first time in American history that the Speaker of the US House of Representatives had disinvited the President from giving the address.[5]

I don’t think the President can bar the speaker from attending and he has to be invited by Congress.

I understand that the president and congress usual practice is to pick a mutually agreeable time and place. The constitution specifically provides authority for the STOTU to the presidentI think. He/she can pick the place and time.

I'm being lazy. Gonna check google.

Last edited:
I understand that the president and congress usual practice is to pick a mutually agreeable time and place. The constitution specifically provides authority for the STOTU to the presidentI think. He/she can pick the place and time.

But he can’t just barge into your place of business to deliver it without your permission.

I'm being lazy. Gonna check google.

here you go. those fellas sure loved commas:

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

You are wrong. To speak to the House, POTUS must be invited. POTUS has no authority to demand anything.

Washington gave SOTU to Congress in person. Jefferson started a practice of delivering the information to Congress in writing. The current "tradition" was reinstated by Wilson in 1913. It's not at all the way you say it is.

Your racist, fascist hero doesn't have a leg to stand on here.

This isn't correct at all. The SOTU can be given in writing. The speaker can bar the president from speaking. The president isn't over the House. They are technically equal. The house and senate have to pass a concurrent resolution allowing him to come and speak.

Yeah he can give the SOTU anywhere and at anytime he likes, but there are a whole slew of rules and regulations for the House. Like the president is always welcome there, but can’t be on the floor without being recognized by the speaker, can’t speak without being given permission, speaker controls the microphones and cameras within the session, stuff like that. I’m sure Trumps first instinct was in just going to show up and do it anyway until someone told him how much control Pelosi actually has within the chamber.

Since the word is "shall" and further the president can convene either or both I think the president can do what he wants without regard to rules of congress.

I ain't a constitutional scholar.

Since the word is "shall" and further the president can convene either or both I think the president can do what he wants without regard to rules of congress.

You are flat out wrong.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Second sentence explains all the value we should give the first.

Back