• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State's next coach?

Regardless of if he goes to State, he should go somewhere after this run. Don't think he can pull a butler and do it again at VCU.

Not with four of their starters leaving. Which is also why I'm surprised that Mooney stuck around at Richmond -- and a sign that he may be there for the long haul.

Why? I just don't see anything from him that differentiates him from Stan Heath.

Didn't Heath make the Elite 8? The pub that Shaka has received from knocking off Kansas crushes what Heath got.

The whole Nolan Richardson thing made it a little different for Heath as well. I certainly understand the comparison, but I think the differences are somewhat significant. State is way more talented than Heath's first team at Arkansas, which helps immensely as well (as we saw this year with Bzzzzz).

Well yea; dude signed a 10-year extension.

That means a lot less. He signed a 7-year extension last year and apparently considered leaving, and signed an extension at Air Force less than a week before taking the Richmond job. A 10-year extension is extremely flimsy if it's attached to a cheap buyout.

That means a lot less. He signed a 7-year extension last year and apparently considered leaving, and signed an extension at Air Force less than a week before taking the Richmond job. A 10-year extension is extremely flimsy if it's attached to a cheap buyout.

That's true; I just figure since he signed a 10-year extension after signing a 7-year extension the year before--and doing so before really even having conversations with State, GT, Mizzou, or Oklahoma--a pretty good indication that he really didn't want anything to do with any of the high-major openings and thus wasn't worried about "missing" similar opportunities next year should Richmond struggle with a comparably young roster.

Also, I don't think Richmond's financial resources can be underestimated here. We're talking about a school that's not only in the upper tier of mid-major conferences (the A10, which routinely seems to get 2-3 tournament bids per year, if not more) but that also has a massive endowment to draw on.

If both Smart and Mooney end up staying, this really could be the start of a relative sea change in college basketball. The powers that be at Richmond and to a lesser extent VCU (along with every other mid-major program) surely must be thinking that with 2 mid-majors in the Final 4, Butler able to do it in back to back years, and George Mason having done it 5 years before, why can't WE be the next Xavier, Gonzaga, Butler, or Memphis that routinely makes the tournament, is televised frequently on ESPN, and receives not only bids but favorable seeding in the tournament?

Didn't Heath make the Elite 8? The pub that Shaka has received from knocking off Kansas crushes what Heath got.

The whole Nolan Richardson thing made it a little different for Heath as well. I certainly understand the comparison, but I think the differences are somewhat significant. State is way more talented than Heath's first team at Arkansas, which helps immensely as well (as we saw this year with Bzzzzz).

So if anything, would that not mean that Shaka is MORE overhyped than Heath? My point is that, outside of this ridiculous run, he hasn't really proven much, and I'd rather have a coach than excels in the regular season than one who makes a couple of big tourney runs. Hell, Smart isn't even the CAA guy I'd most want if I'm State (Blaine Taylor).

I have been told by a legitimate source that Donovan to N.C State is a done deal. Sorry for the typo!

if that is the case, NC schools will have 3 multi-natty coaches and bzzzz. hooray.

Donovan is a grade A moron if he goes to State. I can't imagine that State is going to pay him more than UF ($3.5 million, really?), 5 star recruit Beal is coming in next year, there's virtually no pressure on him because of football, and support at the O-Dome is pretty damn great.

SportsbyBrooks is reporting that Josh Pastner (Memphis) turned down a $2.5 million per year offer from State.

So if anything, would that not mean that Shaka is MORE overhyped than Heath? My point is that, outside of this ridiculous run, he hasn't really proven much, and I'd rather have a coach than excels in the regular season than one who makes a couple of big tourney runs. Hell, Smart isn't even the CAA guy I'd most want if I'm State (Blaine Taylor).

Tend to agree. Smart needs a couple more years to prove himself before he would be a hire that could be made with 100% confidence. It would be a ballsy choice though with lots of upside. The kind of risk worth taking in many situations (ie: Wake circa 2010), but given the state of State they should probably play it safer and go with someone more proven (ie: Taylor, Mooney, etc).

SportsbyBrooks is reporting that Josh Pastner (Memphis) turned down a $2.5 million per year offer from State.

As a job:
Memphis > State

One of the best jobs in the country, right behind UNC, Duke, Kentucky, UCLA, and Indiana. Tons of resources, lack competition, well respected by national media, low academic standards, and in a hot recruiting area.

If both Smart and Mooney end up staying, this really could be the start of a relative sea change in college basketball. The powers that be at Richmond and to a lesser extent VCU (along with every other mid-major program) surely must be thinking that with 2 mid-majors in the Final 4, Butler able to do it in back to back years, and George Mason having done it 5 years before, why can't WE be the next Xavier, Gonzaga, Butler, or Memphis that routinely makes the tournament, is televised frequently on ESPN, and receives not only bids but favorable seeding in the tournament?

Agreed. Exciting time for college basketball. Mid majors have already influenced the bid process and media enough to make a serious impact - their results also continue to support their increased exposure.

DemonDeacon - Good for State if your source is correct....and ultimately good for Wake Forest, because it will put pressure on us to keep up.

This being the case, and that's not the first time I've heard that, why then would anyone believe that AFTER Pastner they're talking to Donovan?

Isn't the order of operations a little screwy there?

Just to clarify, I am going off what my source says, and I trust him. Doesn't make it true, just what I have heard is true. Just covering my tracks now so you don't all blame me later!

Not saying I believe or don't believe the Donovan rumors, but it is plausible that they talked to Pastner and offered him the job before Florida was eliminated from the NCAA tourney...

Plus it is NC State and their order of operations has always been a little screwy...

Back