• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student work load

My favorite professors were J Van Wagstaff (Daddy Wags), Bynum Shaw, Leon Cook and Cyclone Covey. I stayed in W-S one summer for the summer sessions (grading was much easier, BTW) and took one of Wagstaff's classes. The book store ran out of the assigned book, so I visited Daddy Wags to see if I could get one somewhere else. He gave me his copy of an earlier edition, saying not too much changed between editions and if there was something that tripped me up do to a change, he would hold me harmless. When I got back to my apartment, I realized he had highlighted the stuff he thought was important. That was the easiest A I ever "earned".

I see all of these gentlemen are dead, Wagstaff passed just two weeks ago. I doubt many, if any, of you knew Leon Cook. Here's a story about he and his wife http://www.wsfcs.k12.nc.us/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=1&ModuleInstanceID=12708&ViewID=047E6BE3-6D87-4130-8424-D8E4E9ED6C2A&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=150236&PageID=1

Last edited:
I had Gay May. One of the few A's I got at Wake. There was a super hot Fidele in the class a few years older than me. She asked me to tutor her since she was clueless. It helped alot. Never got past 2nd base tho. #Palmad

Wake guys have been thrown out trying to steal third many times, and crossing home plate was also a challenge outside of a "relationship" unless it was one of the well known campus pass-arounds that had already been with 5 of your buddies. #sloppyseconds

If we're talking favorite professors, I'll be the first but likely not last in this thread to mention James Powell.

I vote James Hans best/worst professor.

Dean Franco is the best professor at Wake.

I really liked Grant McAllister for German; besides him, Sheri Bridges and Whaples, i really don't have any memories of professors.

Though it's less ridiculous than it used to be, but Dan Locklair's website is pretty absurd. He has many images of himself available for download, most with a pipe.

I really liked McAllister - ended up taking 2 or 3 of his courses. I also consulted with him when my buddy got sent a speeding ticket from Vienna :thumbsup:

Locklair is hilarious. He was almost the organist for my wedding.

My vote has been, and always will be, for Paul Thacker. He's the fucking man.

Another shittastic prof was Collins in the religion department.

I really liked McAllister - ended up taking 2 or 3 of his courses. I also consulted with him when my buddy got sent a speeding ticket from Vienna :thumbsup:

Locklair is hilarious. He was almost the organist for my wedding.

My vote has been, and always will be, for Paul Thacker. He's the fucking man.

Timing worked that i took all my german classes (4) w/ McAllister; good guy.

Last edited:
If we're now talking favorite prof's, here's my contribution:

Gordon Smiley- History. Class spaghetti dinners at his house
Debbie Best- Psych. Not bad looking back in the day. She later became the Dean of the College only to recently having returned back to the Psych Dept
Candelas Newton- Spanish. Not bad looking back in the day and that oh so sexy Spanish accent (think Sophia Vergara!)

Oh man, I had him. He rides bikes and he's not bad at it.
He also made me read Toni Morrison. Blah.
For those who hate Beloved, you should read his essay "What We Talk About When We Talk About Beloved." Moving shit.

I loved Dr. Coates for Poli Sci. I had his intro. comparative politics class my freshman year in the fall of 2000. It was his first semester at Wake. The day before the infamous election, he said "in England on election night, we await the results with a bottle of scotch and a bottle of champagne. If we win we drink the champagne. If we lose, we drink the scotch. Needless to say, no matter the result, there will be no class on Wednesday morning."

Dr. Gillespie in History was awesome. Her class on the New South was one of my favorites.

Dr. Bobroff is back at Wake now in History. His Russian history class was great.

Peter Kairoff is the man. He co-taught an inter-disciplinary honors class my sophomore year. Amazing class that covered a variety of topics.

Ken Zick taught a hard but very good class on American Constitutional History.

For those who hate Beloved, you should read his essay "What We Talk About When We Talk About Beloved." Moving shit.

just tried; it's on MUSE and i don't have access.

I think the best/worst prof I had was Wood in the econ dept. He basically graded tests on how much he liked you. I was in his office one time and he was talking about grading this one girl's test down basically because he felt she had become too big for her britches. He used to crush bearz in the office and wouldn't answer his phone cause it was always administration wanting to bitch him out about something.

MY BOY. never went. ever. but would stop by his office hours and talk beisbol. missed a test. never retook it. got a b.

Back