• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student work load

Ahh, the one who never smiles. Yeah, Gaylord was/is a prick. You know there used to be two of them. Graham was his brother, IIRC. I believe Graham died young.

I give the edge to Delmer, but have to admit Gaylord ranks right up there. Check out his ranking on Rate My Professor. http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=465630

Last edited:
Ahh, the one who never smiles. Yeah, Gaylord was/is a prick. You know there used to be two of them. Graham was his brother, IIRC. I believe Graham died young.

I give the edge to Delmer, but have to admit Gaylord ranks right up there. Check out his ranking on Rate My Professor. http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=465630

lol is that last comment by leebs? I've read enough leebs in my day to spot it.

I was told that my gpa as a double major in biology and chemistry at 3.6 was too low for my MCAT score so I must have been lazy by UVA.

I was told that my gpa as a double major in biology and chemistry at 3.6 was too low for my MCAT score so I must have been lazy by UVA.

But did you tell them that you went to Wake Forest? That's like a 3.9 at UNC or Duke.

Reactions: ONW
ummm why would he need to scratch out an "A" just to write "A-"

wouldn't he just add a minus to the existing A on the final and move on?

Well there was also a number grade. The first one said "92 A" which he scratched out and changed to "91 A-"

Work Forest can kick your ass. If there are still professors like "Flunkin' Falkenberg" with 5 point grading scales it makes it that much tougher. To this day I am most proud of having graduated from Mother So Dear Magna Cum Laude with Honors.:eek:

I see your "Death" and raise you Jesse Gaylord May, Statistics.

First and foremost, and something for which I'll not forgive him, a 94 was a B. Not an A minus, but a B. That stupid 4 hour B credit was the reason I didn't graduate with honors. (Ok, it wasn't the only reason - but had it at least been even a B+ I'd have gotten honors, it was that close).
The man taught us nothing, was routinely late for class, and constantly contradicted himself in teaching us out to do something. I think my favorite May-day is the day he arrived really late, sat down and stared at us... then posed a problem to the class when he realized we were all staring back at him. We were given time to solve it, then he asked for the answer. A girl answered, and he said "well, I don't know if that's right or not - i ddin't solve it myself." ...and that was that. Class was over. Absurd.
AND A 94 WAS CONSIDERED A B.

He either had conflict with a colleague or marital woes. No other reason to do that.

I called UVA to ask what I could do about my GPA when applying to law school based on my LSAT and the answer was, "Well you went to Wake so we certainly understand that's not indicative of your intelligence."

Reactions: ONW
James Hans (English) used to give two grades for each paper. One for the cogency, fluidity, and structure of your arguments, and one for basically how much he liked it.

I got a lot of A+/C grades in that class.

he told our class (half joking / half serious) that he judged the quality of our papers on his ability to get through grading them with just 1 bottle of liquor.

I see your "Death" and raise you Jesse Gaylord May, Statistics.

First and foremost, and something for which I'll not forgive him, a 94 was a B. Not an A minus, but a B. That stupid 4 hour B credit was the reason I didn't graduate with honors. (Ok, it wasn't the only reason - but had it at least been even a B+ I'd have gotten honors, it was that close).
The man taught us nothing, was routinely late for class, and constantly contradicted himself in teaching us out to do something. I think my favorite May-day is the day he arrived really late, sat down and stared at us... then posed a problem to the class when he realized we were all staring back at him. We were given time to solve it, then he asked for the answer. A girl answered, and he said "well, I don't know if that's right or not - i ddin't solve it myself." ...and that was that. Class was over. Absurd.
AND A 94 WAS CONSIDERED A B.

His stats class was my very first college class and I was like oh shit is this college?

he talked to the chalkboard and once fell asleep with his head leaning on the board. Awkward.

He either had conflict with a colleague or marital woes. No other reason to do that.

nope, that was just gay may. see below for more details.

His stats class was my very first college class and I was like oh shit is this college?

he talked to the chalkboard and once fell asleep with his head leaning on the board. Awkward.

yeah, he fell asleep on us a couple times. weird.

my uncle had him, too. he graduated in '81.

I think the best/worst prof I had was Wood in the econ dept. He basically graded tests on how much he liked you. I was in his office one time and he was talking about grading this one girl's test down basically because he felt she had become too big for her britches. He used to crush bearz in the office and wouldn't answer his phone cause it was always administration wanting to bitch him out about something.

nope, that was just gay may. see below for more details.

yeah, he fell asleep on us a couple times. weird.

my uncle had him, too. he graduated in '81.

Gaylord and Graham were in place when I arrived in the fall of '67

I think the best/worst prof I had was Wood in the econ dept. He basically graded tests on how much he liked you. I was in his office one time and he was talking about grading this one girl's test down basically because he felt she had become too big for her britches. He used to crush bearz in the office and wouldn't answer his phone cause it was always administration wanting to bitch him out about something.

Ha, I remember going to Wood's office hours because I'd skipped about 3 weeks of classes and he had a lot Guinness laying around he's got to be 80 by now. Is he still there? I think he was making about $250k for a while

I believe he retired. He would go on some epic rants. I used to just write as much as I could in a blue book and get an A. No chance my drivel made any sense.

I believe he retired. He would go on some epic rants. I used to just write as much as I could in a blue book and get an A. No chance my drivel made any sense.

Actually looks like he might be there. His resume is ridiculous.

Back