• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Syracuse Game Time 12:30 pm, RSN

Would love to see a Venn diagram of the fans who want to see Wake Forest climb to the highest heights and the ogboards.com keyboard jockeys who don't bother attending games or supporting the program financially.

Aaannndd right on cue a few of the keyboard jockeys (Racer and milhouse) decide to chime in

Last edited:
Clawsen has done a great job. Not questioned. But it is extremely LOWF to talk about our challenges as a program when we played like ship and lost to a way inferior team.

Yesterday and going forward he needs to get his head out of his ass. We run the same set 70% of the time. How many 1st downs did we waste with a 2 yard rpo mesh. Should be called mosh because there are 20 people in the box.

That was a pathetic effort yesterday. CUSE really sucks. An immobile QB getting throws off because our all American didn’t stay in his lane. Newman geez, what was that yesterday. Wildly missing throws, keeping the ball at least once when walker had a sprint out, I just don’t get it. Newman was terrible yesterday. Terrible. How does that happen? To me it is making him do too much. The RPO has been figured out.

Do we ever run wide? Do we ever hand the orbit to Hinton.

Everyone involved in this program should be livid about throwing that game away yesterday. We have a solid solid program and these games are separation games that have to be won.

Too many mistakes yesterday. Not acceptable.

Time to regroup and have a great bowl game. Maybe not going to the orange bowl is a better result for this team. Getting beat by 30 by auburn etc. wouldn’t be helpful. Again that was vpi not that bullshit yesterday.

Clawson will need to adjust the offense for Hartman. He is not the runner Newman is. Newman ran the ball 11-12 times before he got hurt in the first half. Too many.

Clawson will need to adjust the offense for Hartman. He is not the runner Newman is. Newman ran the ball 11-12 times before he got hurt in the first half. Too many.

Sam ran 10 times. 4.2 YPC. The point of the RPO is to take what the defense gives you. Before we switched it up the last few weeks we were just trying to run every time without taking shots downfield. The defenses had lost respect for our passing.

Sam ran 10 times. 4.2 YPC. The point of the RPO is to take what the defense gives you. Before we switched it up the last few weeks we were just trying to run every time without taking shots downfield. The defenses had lost respect for our passing.

Yes

I did not chart plays but it seems to me Hartman was more willing to pull the ball out on an RPO and throw it; I felt like with Newman we had morphed from an RPO to a read option. This is not meant to be an endorsement of Hartman over Newman.

Yes

I did not chart plays but it seems to me Hartman was more willing to pull the ball out on an RPO and throw it; I felt like with Newman we had morphed from an RPO to a read option. This is not meant to be an endorsement of Hartman over Newman.

Yes, they are both great QBs. Wake just needed to get back to the style of play that made them successful. You're right we became a read option run offense instead of a true RPO.

I love Clawson and think he is a smart coach and will keep Wake on an upward swing.

That said, I think he needs to make some adjustments to his thinking now that he is playing in a power 5 conference. At Bowling Green and some of his past jobs, he was able to recruit players good enough to win games without a lot of misdirection.
Wake will never be able to line up and run plays that the opponent expects and just out execute their opponent.

I think Wake will always need to be creative in a way that Clemson and Alabama never will. The reliance on the RPO without more wrinkles is not going to be enough. Wake had the talent this year to get very creative.

Thank you and Amen.

Yeah, the reality is if you're a mediocre team you end up in a lot of close games where "flukey" calls or plays can determine the game. We were an above average team at the beginning of the year that won those coin flips, lost some players, and became a team that didnt.

Yes

This. We still did RPO with Hartman, no idea if by design, but he threw out of it way more than Newman did earlier. Give that Hartman nearly came up with 400 yds passing in a relief effort that's pretty impressive. Hartman's not gong to break off a 30 yd run like Newman but he seemed to see when he was being given 5 to 10 yds and knew when to take it.

Is all of that Hartman or is it the coaching staff?

Not sure what to make of the fairly obvious fact that if Hartman starts this game we win. Our 2nd best win was a Hartman start against FSU. He also came in for arguably the biggest loss of the season, Louisville, and had double the QB rating of Newman with 3 TD's in 2 minutes but was too little too late. Donavon Greene had 3 receptions 2+ games with Newman, then goes for 172 yards with Hartman for less than a full game minus some injury time.

Is Newman just a QB that only throws to "his" guys? Is he the type to follow a script instead of actually seeing the field and hitting open receivers? His RPO decision making clearly improved this year but he still doesn't seem to catch teams cheating as often as Hartman or Wolford in this offense.

Granted, this is a system that absolutely requires a great backup QB because of the hits it subjects our QB to, and Newman's size/strength are a good fit. He's won some huge games with some great late heroics. Who knows who will leave and who will stay next year, but 3 years of starters in Hartman, Walker, and Greene sure does look like a rock solid foundation right now.

This. We still did RPO with Hartman, no idea if by design, but he threw out of it way more than Newman did earlier. Give that Hartman nearly came up with 400 yds passing in a relief effort that's pretty impressive. Hartman's not gong to break off a 30 yd run like Newman but he seemed to see when he was being given 5 to 10 yds and knew when to take it.

Is all of that Hartman or is it the coaching staff?

I suspect that Newman lost a lot of confidence in the pass part of the RPO when he lost both Sage and Scotty. Because he hasn't worked that much with the backup receivers, and has a lot of work with Cade Carney, it became more comfortable to decide between run options. Keep or hand off to Cade. The wet weather games reinforced that tendency.

His shoulder may not be quite right, making his throwing less accurate, and thus make him less willing to throw to guys he doesn't have good rapport with (hopefully yet).

Newman didn't look good on the road for any of our past 3 road games. And Hartman was impressive in limited play this year.

Wake has won more than 6 games every year for the past 4 years. C’mon.

What he's saying is playing in meaningless bowl games and considering the season a success by beating Duke and State are not the next step. The next step is getting to 9 and 10 win regular seasons when the scheduling allows it and playing in big bowl games. Then if that happens, the next step would be challenging to win the ACC consistently and occasionally competing in the CFP. Some fans are content just getting to bowl games in general, other fans want to see Wake Forest climb to the highest heights. Clawson himself wants to compete for championships, so people who want to keep him around should adopt the mentality that we must keep going up.

Then he should have said that.

I am 100% on board with your take and I absolutely think Wake can compete for championships. I also think those that claim Wake doesn’t have, or can’t recruit, top notch talent are wrong.

I will add, however, that beating UNC, State, and Duke is an important part of the process, because it helps us land instate talent.

I did say that, Rafi. netflix understood. You decided to be willfully ignorant.

This year, the only games we won after becoming bowl eligible were games against State and Duke. We lost the 3 other games that could have gotten us to the Orange Bowl, ranked in the CFP, 10 wins, etc.

These are our games after becoming bowl eligible the last four years:

2016 L 12-44 at Louisville (8-5)
2016 L 13-35 vs Clemson (12-2)
2016 L 14-17 vs. BC (7-6)
2017 W 30-24 vs. State (9-4)
2017 L 23-31 vs. Duke (7-6)
2019 W 44-10 vs. State (4-8)
2019 L 17-36 at VT (8-4)
2019 L 3-52 at Clemson (12-0)
2019 W 39-27 vs. Duke (5-7)
2019 L 30-39 at Cuse (5-7)

3-1 against State and Duke. 0-6 against everybody else. Yes, all the losses before yesterday were to teams that had a winning record, but we beat a winning State team last year on the road when we needed to get bowl eligible. Clearly the program is capable. The program needs to put the same preparation, energy, and effort on the field after we get bowl eligible.

This program needs to take a step forward instead of being content with winning 6 games plus beating rivals.

One more thing. Rafi is content to see a glass with 50% wine so he can proclaim it’s half full. I want red ruddy rhenish filled up to the brim.

Last edited:
Only one man is up for this task...

pete-lembo-rice-maryland-associate-head-coachjpg.jpg

In the RPO Newman got away from pass too many times throughout the season. Newman got too comfortable with certain receivers as did the coaches. Newman never has learned to see the field as well as needed to play the RPO for WF. Coach Clawson uses the RPO with a view towards perfect execution of it. I suspect that next year either/both QBs will use the RPO better than this year and possibly meet Clawson's expectations. However, if it turns out that the RPO cannot be executed by our QBs at the level required to beat the VTs, Louisvilles, Apps, NDs and Cuses then somebody will be looking in the mirror I suspect.

WF is having a great season. WF can have an even better year next year. WF has the talent to bring it in every game. WF and IT's FANS may not be ready yet for what it takes to be consistently successful but DAVE CLAWSON and his players are. The entire program will continue to develop and evolve to be capable of larger success hopefully. It certainly takes more fan support in the seats to increase the impact on future recruits. Winning alone will not do it.

I agree with many of the comments above. A few positives, lots of negatives(to's and penalties. Yet with that aide and criticisms(deserved about our offense), the most disappointing thing to me was our defense. We never could stop their up the middle runs and when we got them in passing situations, somehow their qb was able to scramble and find open receivers. I still believe that for the most part, our dl is not big enough.

In the RPO Newman got away from pass too many times throughout the season. Newman got too comfortable with certain receivers as did the coaches. Newman never has learned to see the field as well as needed to play the RPO for WF. Coach Clawson uses the RPO with a view towards perfect execution of it. I suspect that next year either/both QBs will use the RPO better than this year and possibly meet Clawson's expectations. However, if it turns out that the RPO cannot be executed by our QBs at the level required to beat the VTs, Louisvilles, Apps, NDs and Cuses then somebody will be looking in the mirror I suspect.

WF is having a great season. WF can have an even better year next year. WF has the talent to bring it in every game. WF and IT's FANS may not be ready yet for what it takes to be consistently successful but DAVE CLAWSON and his players are. The entire program will continue to develop and evolve to be capable of larger success hopefully. It certainly takes more fan support in the seats to increase the impact on future recruits. Winning alone will not do it.

I agree with this 100%. At the same time though, where we are, how we have been playing, and what we have to play for... that was a pathetic bullshit display yesterday. On the road. Not the fans fault.

When the game comes ... play it. Yesterday was a disaster, and everyone on that team and on the staff needs to own it. No excuse for losing that game. NONE.

“ I think we’ll really take this loss to heart, learning from it. And I feel bad for whoever has to play us in a bowl game because this one hurt us, and we are going to build off that and use this as motivation to connect me out even harder in our next game.” Ja’Sir Taylor

Tell it brother Jasir !

I’m in ! I’m glad they’re hurting, that was not cool yesterday that effort.

Back