• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about San Francisco

Yeah, just look for the lines and go in the morning. My go-to is on Stockton. Not even positive if it has an English name.

Also, on the topic of dim sum, it's not my favorite, but another standard in the area is Koi Palace in Daly City. Just be prepared for a long wait on weekends. At least you can watch the old guy make dragon beard candy, which is impressive to watch and pretty tasty.

GD I've lived here for 10 yrs and these fools are learning me on some of this food.

Had Capo's last wknd, though, and it was good although for deep dish pizza, Zachary's in Berk/Oak and Little Star on Divisadero are better. But keep in mind that it is CASH ONLY. For a pie and a good bottle of wine, you're pushing $60-$80 range.

Hm, I prefer Capo's to both Zachary's and Little Star, but yeah, more expensive. Little Star is good value. And much better pizza than Patxi's.

Some of the greatest real baseball pictures you'll ever see are at Lefty O'Doul's. The place is mediocre, but the pictures are a must for baseball fans.

Hm, I prefer Capo's to both Zachary's and Little Star, but yeah, more expensive. Little Star is good value. And much better pizza than Patxi's.

Not to mention that Paxtis was taking all the Healthy SF money earmarked for their employees and basically lining their pockets with it. Won't go there again.

The expense of Capo's didn't really bug me but the cash only aspect for a sit-down restaurant does. Bars I can get over, but high-ish end restaurants? Should take credit.

One place I'm really enjoying right now is Mason Pacific; it helps that I live 2 blocks away but the food has been top notch.

One place I'm really enjoying right now is Mason Pacific; it helps that I live 2 blocks away but the food has been top notch.

Cool, haven't been yet, but the bar menu looks good. It's on the list of spots to try once I'm off the pre-wedding diet.

Some of the greatest real baseball pictures you'll ever see are at Lefty O'Doul's. The place is mediocre, but the pictures are a must for baseball fans.

Food is shitty at Lefty's, but their beer selection is pretty good. Great location right off Union Square.

I like Zachary's pizza better than the usual suspects in Chitown. Zach's used to be cash only, but they now take plastic. Still think Swan's is the quintessential SF lunch spot. Take the California Street Cable Car stop right by Embarcadero BART/Hyatt Regency to Polk Street (half block from Swan's). Far less crowded than the Powell Street or Fisherman's Wharf stops (which should only be used if you're going to have a few Irish Coffees at the Buena Vista).

PS to RJ: There are two great Dim Sum places in Little Saigon near Huntington Beach. Forget their names, but they're across the street from each other in strip malls. The better one is on the second floor and there's an incredible floor show while you wait from the most dangerous parking lot in America below. Near misses by incredibly crappy drivers every thirty seconds. The only way they could make it better is by playing Russian Roulette Deer Hunter style while you wait.

And I live about as close to Little Saigon as you can and still live in HB. I don't go over there very often.

relatively few and far between these days, sadly

gotta cross the bridge for that

also, i feel like i have to pimp MY SPOT la taqueria. its my fave taco place in the mission. their tacos are big, and if you add cheese they make it like a cheesy gordita crunch. stick with the carnitas. nom nom nom.

also, i feel like i have to pimp MY SPOT la taqueria. its my fave taco place in the mission. their tacos are big, and if you add cheese they make it like a cheesy gordita crunch. stick with the carnitas. nom nom nom.

Yeah, their carnitas are top-notch.

Are you a torta guy? Have you hit torta gorda, los picudos and that's it yet?

so are there things to do in San Francisco other than eat?

One fun and interesting "touristy" thing to do is the Chinatown Alley Tour. It's a walking tour that starts in Portsmouth Square and takes 90 minutes. There are a bunch of private alleys in Chinatown and it gives you a sense of history and a behind the scenes look at Chinatown. If you don't want to take the tour, Portsmouth Square is a cool place to people watch.

Best single San Francisco event is the Bay to Breakers foot race in mid-May. 7K race starts in the Financial District and ends up in Golden Gate Park. They've cut back on public drunkeness and nudity in recent years, but it's still ridiculously over the top. There are topical costumes, human centipedes, and elite Ethiopians runners win pretty much every year. Ends up with a huge party in the park. SF weather is best in September, October, and May.

Back