• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tennis

Chrissie Everett trying to explain that maybe alcohol availability in the suites was the cause of the fossil fuel protest was, something.

Chrissie Everett trying to explain that maybe alcohol availability in the suites was the cause of the fossil fuel protest was, something.
Oof.

Keys headed to a 2nd set tiebreak for the win.

Forgot that match was at 3:00. Oh well.

It's going to be over soon, Novak seems to just be toying with him through the first two sets.

I haven't regularly watched tennis in about 20 years. The power, creativity, finesse, and athleticism in the women's and men's draw nowadays are incredible.

Funny how people get wrapped up in tennis for the US Open, but it's immediately forgotten. Just a massive attention difference between the majors and any other tennis event. A couple of weeks ago, Alacaraz and Joker played an all-time great match in the Final in Cincy. 6-7, 7-6. 7-6. Riveting from start to finish. Joker called it one of the best matches of his career, and he's won 20+ majors. This was a dead spot in the sports calendar with little else going on (Coco won the women's final at the same tourney), and even so, no one cared.

Not sure what tennis can do to get people into anything other the majors (TBH, not sure how many people here really care about the Aussie Open or the French). When you watch a high level match, the intensity and athleticism is off the charts.

Funny how people get wrapped up in tennis for the US Open, but it's immediately forgotten. Just a massive attention difference between the majors and any other tennis event. A couple of weeks ago, Alacaraz and Joker played an all-time great match in the Final in Cincy. 6-7, 7-6. 7-6. Riveting from start to finish. Joker called it one of the best matches of his career, and he's won 20+ majors. This was a dead spot in sports with little else going on, and even so, no one cared.

Not sure what tennis can do to get people into anything other the majors (TBH, not sure how many people here really care about the Aussie Open or the French). When you watch a high level match, the intensity and athleticism is off the charts.
think the cincy final was the longest three set match in like 30 years or something

problem for tennis is that it's just really hard to watch outside of the three grand slams ESPN has -- tennis channel sometimes has the matches, but sometimes it's on the their tennis channel+ station or whatever, which are are not part of the same subscription -- even for someone that follows the sport it's opaque to understand how I can watch

what they can do is get the higher profile matches on TV stations regular people have -- even if it's just the semis and final -- I'm sure you can pull the TV ratings from the US Open faster than I can, but would imagine there is some data to support enough interest to put some 500 and 1000 level matches on accessible TV

another challenge for an american fan is the number of tournaments in european and asian time zones -- australian open schedule is pretty much perfectly lined up with sleep time

The US Open takes place when Americans are ending their summer vacations, going back to school, and getting back into sports. If you turn on ESPN to watch Week 0 games or NFL coverage, you’ll see the US Open.

Glad I watched the 3rd set. Shelton stepped up his game.

think the cincy final was the longest three set match in like 30 years or something

problem for tennis is that it's just really hard to watch outside of the three grand slams ESPN has -- tennis channel sometimes has the matches, but sometimes it's on the their tennis channel+ station or whatever, which are are not part of the same subscription -- even for someone that follows the sport it's opaque to understand how I can watch

what they can do is get the higher profile matches on TV stations regular people have -- even if it's just the semis and final -- I'm sure you can pull the TV ratings from the US Open faster than I can, but would imagine there is some data to support enough interest to put some 500 and 1000 level matches on accessible TV

another challenge for an american fan is the number of tournaments in european and asian time zones -- australian open schedule is pretty much perfectly lined up with sleep time
I think the lack of a US man in the top 5 has been a big issue. Networks and advertisers have (incorrectly, IMO) shied away from non-major tournaments because of the lack of a US presence on the men's side. Sampras, Agassi, Courier, and Chang were on CBS frequently on the weekends in the 1990s.

I think the lack of a US man in the top 5 has been a big issue. Networks and advertisers have (incorrectly, IMO) shied away from non-major tournaments because of the lack of a US presence on the men's side. Sampras, Agassi, Courier, and Chang were on CBS frequently on the weekends in the 1990s.
And I watched it frequently on CBS. Hopefully the popularity of international players in MLB and the NBA is a sign that US audiences will support international players in other sports.

Back