• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Te'o thread cont. (as of 1/17/11 7:30 AM EST)

Who are Reagan and Troy?

The Arizona Cardinals fullback who said him and Troy Polamalu met this made up chick at some sort of Somoan thing.

Someone had a link to the story on the thread that was deleted.

Friend of mine is listening to the Dan Patrick radio show and sent me this text:

"Patrick just said he knows for a fact an ESPN employee contacted Deadspin and told them where to look to unravel this once the employee found out for sure that ESPN was gonna sit on it"

Dang. That is fucked up. ESPN is a complete joke. Thankfully, there are people like Yahoo Sports and Deadspin out there.

What does a full system restore mean? There was really a lot of great discussion on that thread that sucks we're going to lose. As this story continues to play itself out, it would be extremely beneficial to have a record of how things went down on that thread.

I assume it would mean we'd lose every post since the time of the most recent backup that included the original Teo thread..

I assume it would mean we'd lose every post since the time of the most recent backup that included the original Teo thread..

Would that include the entire Clemson game? Cause I'm all for erasing that one from my memory

Hold up, I missed that the dead girlfriend's twitter is now active???

Did she have a Facebook page as well?

Having watched multiple hours of ESPN coverage on this, do people realize that "Catfish" was a movie before it was a bad MTV show?

The Arizona Cardinals fullback who said him and Troy Polamalu met this made up chick at some sort of Somoan thing.

Someone had a link to the story on the thread that was deleted.

Or is this just a Samoan covering for a Samoan?

I'll just post my tweets from last night if we can't get the full story (read top to bottom).

Expecting Te'o tomorrow to admit he lied about ever seeing Kennay, and admit it was done out of embarrassment for having an e-relationship.

He'll explain that he had planned trips for Kennay to come to Hawaii, however they always got cancelled last minute.

I really believe Ronaiah had built up this fake persona prior to even meeting Te'o, and thought it'd be a fun joke that got carried away.

Just unimaginable that Ronaiah would screw over a 'friend' for so long and in such grave fashion, but doesn't mean it's not possible.

The only thing that doesn't fit is Mauia claiming Ronaiah introduced him to Lennay, and that he was close to her family and a good friend.

However, despite claiming to be close to her family, Mauia admits to never meeting her mother and her father had apparently died. Huh?

I still do not know the truth but am merely stating how I believe Te'o will respond shortly. Still think more will be revealed as well.

But just reiterating how F'ed up it would be by Ronaiah, he allegedly convinced his 'friend' his gf died the same day his grandma died.

What does a full system restore mean? There was really a lot of great discussion on that thread that sucks we're going to lose. As this story continues to play itself out, it would be extremely beneficial to have a record of how things went down on that thread.

It means resetting the entire board (every thread, PM, rep, tag, etc) back to a certain point in time before the thread was deleted. Everything else between that time and now would be lost in order to restore one thread about a ND player and a fake girlfriend.

I wonder if this is basically what went down, if it was truly a hoax he wasn't aware of. Let's say he legitimately connects with this chick online and they start an online relationship. Then Teo is told his online friend is sick and died and he believes it to be true, but also sees it as an opportunity to play it up publically and portray the relationship to be much more meaningful and serious than it really was in an attempt to add an additional facet to his Heisman campaign. I think he either was in on it or maybe had an online relationship with what he thought was this person, but the relationship wasn't anywhere near as serious or meaningful as he portrayed. I just don't think there is anyway that he could have really had the feelings for this person he claimed publically and not gone to see her after being in a car accident and while she was dying of leukemia.

I wonder if this is basically what went down, if it was truly a hoax he wasn't aware of. Let's say he legitimately connects with this chick online and they start an online relationship. Then Teo is told his online friend is sick and died and he believes it to be true, but also sees it as an opportunity to play it up publically and portray the relationship to be much more meaningful and serious than it really was in an attempt to add an additional facet to his Heisman campaign. I think he either was in on it or maybe had an online relationship with what he thought was this person, but the relationship wasn't anywhere near as serious or meaningful as he portrayed. I just don't think there is anyway that he could have really had the feelings for this person he claimed publically and not gone to see her after being in a car accident and while she was dying of leukemia.

JUST LIKE HUNGER GAMES

Fuuhhh...

I think my last post right before I went to sleep at about 1245, went something like this:

There are two possible scenarios:

Scenario A: He was mind-numbingliy gullible and duped for no apparent reason other than for someones sick entertainment

Scenario B: He was in on the hoax, created for publicity and used HIS OWN GRANDMOTHER'S death as a spring board.

Scenario A is just more plausible. Either way there is (at least) one sick fuck out there...

ETA: There is an inbetween scenario as well I suppose. The hoax was created by either friends or family members (as deaspin alleges), but with Te'o in the dark. The motive would possibly be to make him in to as big a star as possible, leading them to, in theory, benefit financially. Although that scenario really brings up many more questions than it answers. How exactly would they benefit financially or was it just assumed? How can Te'o ever prove that he knew nothing?

Either way, as i said in the old thread, I really get stuck on the suggestion that Te'o would personally choose to take the hoax in this direction at that exact time to capitalize on his own grandmothers death, who I believe he loved and was close to. I really can't see that and that's what makes me think he is telling the truth. As completely bizarre as it all is.

Last edited:
Agreed. Either he was in on hoax, or is a buffoon who not only got duped but lied about major aspects of relationship.

Either way dude is a liar

I think that's fair. I mean he obviously exploited this for publicity, even if he wasn't fully aware of what was happening, which is sick. Who the fuck cares if a college baller who can slam any piece he wants doesn't have a girlfriend? I sure as hell wouldn't, especially one that I met online and never saw in person.

Back