• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Te'o thread cont. (as of 1/17/11 7:30 AM EST)

What I dont get is how someone like him couldnt find a girl to date at ND, and had to resort to a girl he met online but didnt meet once.

So, ESPN conjured his Heisman campaign out of thin air (he had no business even being in the discussion) and was effectively Teo's marketing arm for the entire season. Then when they end up with a gem of a story that would make them look like jackasses they sit on it for 10 days and someone else breaks the story.

Did I get that right?

.@YahooForde is reporting that ESPN's Jeremy Schaap will conduct a Manti Te'o interview for the network.

hmm ESPN is getting the exclusive interview? catFISHY

What I dont get is how someone like him couldnt find a girl to date at ND, and had to resort to a girl he met online but didnt meet once.

Who says he wasn't banging some tail at ND while all this was going on. Of course there is some questions whether it was female tail or male tail.

How cool would it be if some famous female Olympic athlete faked having an inspirational boyfriend, and the picture they used of the fake boyfriend was you? That would be pretty sweet. I wouldn't even be mad.

Not a whole lot of South Pacific Islander Mormons in South Bend

So, ESPN conjured his Heisman campaign out of thin air (he had no business even being in the discussion) and was effectively Teo's marketing arm for the entire season. Then when they end up with a gem of a story that would make them look like jackasses they sit on it for 10 days and someone else breaks the story.

Did I get that right?

i believe so

Teo is either one of three things:

1) A complete moron
2) A sociopath
3) Gay
Very straightforward version of what I also posted last night. And I really hope the truth is Scenario 3.

In scenario 1, we have to accept that Ronaiah spent 3 years contriving up a huge lie to a 'friend' of his that he hung out with regularly, only to have it culminate by deciding Kekua would die on the same exact day that Te'o loses his grandmother. Ronaiah would have to be an absolute sociopath to carry this on for so long to someone who most think he was good friends with.

In scenario 2, we may not know the true reason for Te'o creating the story, but he continued to evolve and exploit a made up story to an entire nation. Fame, fortune, attention, Heisman candidacy...whatever the reason, absolutely crazy.

In scenario 3, we have two very religious guys who were intimate with each other, both knowing the consequences for if their relationship was revealed. With Ronaiah already had screwed around with a fake female online persona (Kekua), they thought it would be easy enough for Te'o to just claim he had a long-distance girlfriend to avoid any skepticism or prying into his lack of female partners. The story was initially made up when Te'o was from a household name or a star football player, however as Te'o's college career continued, the national spotlight led to more digging of a whole and evolution of the lie. When they knew it had gone too far, they determined to 'kill it' to avoid anyone eventually figuring it out. They were stupid, naive, and short sighted, but at least the motivation for it all is somewhat justified.

Did I get that right?
ESPN knew about this prior to the BCS championship game. However, they still ran a story about his girlfriend.

I thought I read that they actually met? I haven't kept up since early last evening though...but I read that they were introduced and then kept the relationship going from far...

Is this wrong?

Question, does anybody know if the grandmother died first and then was told of the fake girlfriend's death? I know the deaths were supposed to be 6 hours apart, but which one was first?

Back