• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Terrific crowd at the Joel tonight!

What size arena are you lobbying for?

As I’ve said for 2 decades now, the exact number isn’t as important as the structure. Must have the students on the floor standing with a structural cut for top donors to sit directly above. That’s much more important than the direct number.

I’ve also said that the key number is what we average for a February bubble weeknight game against Clemson. As many know, I’ve counted. That number is 5k. I’d settle for 7-8k seats but only if its structured correctly to hide the empty seats.

As I’ve said for 2 decades now, the exact number isn’t as important as the structure. Must have the students on the floor standing with a structural cut for top donors to sit directly above. That’s much more important than the direct number.

I’ve also said that the key number is what we average for a February bubble weeknight game against Clemson. As many know, I’ve counted. That number is 5k. I’d settle for 7-8k seats but only if its structured correctly to hide the empty seats.

Your first and second paragraphs are really conflicting.

what a huge pipe dream. We now own a facility, which we have used for 20+ years. Get used to it.

what a huge pipe dream. We now own a facility, which we have used for 20+ years. Get used to it.

I think part of his point is that he’s been lobbying for this for 20 years. It was much less of a pipe dream in 1995 than it is now, and yet nothing was done by the administration. Y’all beat him up a lot on this issue, but I happen to think he’s right.

Just curious: does our current student ticket policy reward students in any way for showing up at events? As crazy as it sounds, it works. Other schools do it very effectively.

What should be the reward? I know at other schools the rewards are basically you get moved up the line to get tickets via points or whatever but at wake getting a ticket for a student is a never an issue, in any sport.

My time at Wake overlapped with DR. I can confirm he has been trumpeting this idea for a long time. Usually he was intoxicated on Campus TV when he discussed it. But I digress. :)

I appreciate his passion to make Wake better. But at this point we have settled on what we will play basketball in. I'm just hopeful we can make it feel a bit less cavernous.

Small point on the students position at the games. There is no way in hell we are carving out designated areas for the students when 50 of them show up for games. Can you imagine how awful it would look on TV?? I realize it may be a chicken and egg situation but administration is never going to offer up those seats without a significant improvement in student attendance.

I don't really have an issue with any of your ideas. MY issue is that you think because of the size of the arena, we lose basketball games. That is outrageous. I'm fine with beating a drum to change up our current venue, or build on campus venue (Seems unnecessary to me, but your points aren't so far out there that I'd be shocked if it happened)

BUT it has NOTHING to do with us getting recruits, or winning home games, as we've done with that arena. Can our facilities always be upgraded? Absolutely. Schools upgrade facilities all the time. But calling the fan base and the team losers because we won't go from 14k arena to 8k arena is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I know several years ago there was an analysis of home court advantages and the Joel had one of the better home court advantages is in the ACC. The reason that the Wake program has never taken the next step is our inability to win in the postseason. That has nothing to do with where we play our home games

I think part of his point is that he’s been lobbying for this for 20 years. It was much less of a pipe dream in 1995 than it is now, and yet nothing was done by the administration. Y’all beat him up a lot on this issue, but I happen to think he’s right.

IMO, he's right in the sense that it'd be much better to have the arena he's describing. I disagree with him saying that our level of success is reliant upon said arena. We all remember when we were good and fans showed up and packed the Joel.

I know several years ago there was an analysis of home court advantages and the Joel had one of the better home court advantages is in the ACC. The reason that the Wake program has never taken the next step is our inability to win in the postseason. That has nothing to do with where we play our home games

Oh don't worry, donaldross has already blamed that on our home crowd. As in, our players in Cleveland were affected by this when they lost to West Virginia.

Oh don't worry, donaldross has already blamed that on our home crowd. As in, our players in Cleveland were affected by this when they lost to West Virginia.

This is actually a really bad example as WV did have the home court advantage in that game. Something I'll always be mad about.

This is actually a really bad example as WV did have the home court advantage in that game. Something I'll always be mad about.

it was the first one that came to mind, but we also had an incredible home atmosphere that year so it's also a stupid point of his. but also how did it affect us in Akron (Kansas State) or Miami (Cleveland Steamer)?

In those exact games, of course it had no factor. But who knows what players we could have had.

The bigger picture here is everyone agrees this is hurting us. Some say 5%. Others say 50%. Winners fix problems. Losers minimize them.

In those exact games, of course it had no factor. But who knows what players we could have had.

The bigger picture here is everyone agrees this is hurting us. Some say 5%. Others say 50%. Winners fix problems. Losers minimize them.

The people who matter to Wake athletics and who have "won at life" a lot more than you (Ben Sutton, Mit Shah, etc.) disagree. I guess that really eats at you. Better start "winning" more!

I grew up around 30 minutes away in Boonville. I started going to the Joel when I was a little kid when my Dad started buying us tickets during the Rodney and Randolph days. He was a Carolina fan and I was obviously not. (he has converted) When I got my drivers license and a job I would by tickets on my own when there was a game I could attend.

I guess my point is that the Joel is big enough for a $15-$20 (sometimes even less) ticket for us local filth. When the team is good the place is packed and when they aren't good it's not. That's just life for a non blue blood. If you squeeze out the locals when the team is good, then the 7 year old kid doesn't see a 360 vs unc in person and feel the building shake when the crowd goes nuts and he probably just becomes a fan of a blue team.

I think it’s funny that a winner like DR hasn’t been able to win this argument for two decades.

you mean like our 4 starters against Cleveland State who are still in the NBA? or our now stud NBA rookie who played in Akron?

Back