• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

You shouldn't get to self-impose a bowl ban when you're guaranteed a losing record in a season that doesn't even count against eligibility. The NCAA should punish them by making them play a bowl game against some half-rate non-P5 team.

FWIW, the Big 10 changed its rules and allowed tOSU to play in the Big 10 CG. Here is the stated rationale:

"The decision was based on a competitive analysis which determined that Ohio State would have advanced to the Big Ten Football Championship Game based on its undefeated record and head-to-head victory over Indiana regardless of a win or loss against Michigan," the conference said.

Or, put another way, "we know tOSU hasn't played enough games to be a legit candidate for the BCS playoff, and we really want a team in the BCS payoff, so we changed the rules." BTW, not only does tOSU get to play in the Big 10 CG against NW, but they get a week off to prepare while NW has to play Illinois this week.

B1G full of it. If tOSU lost this weekend and Indiana beat Purdue, IU would finish 7-1 and tOSU would finish 5-1. Same situation in the West. If Northwestern loses to Illinois they will finish 5-2. If Iowa beats Wisconsin they would finish 6-2. Basic math has always eluded the Can't Count Conference. Never mind, will determine the Divisional champs by decree before the season is finalized. Give tOSU two weeks to prepare as well.

To some extent Miami is getting a short straw in the ACC. They still have the potential to finish 9-1 with wins over GT and UNC. Notre Dame could finish 9-1 with a loss to Wake. Clemson could finish 8-2 with a loss to FSU. Too messy for the ACC, hopeful of getting two teams in championship playoff.

It's all about the money all of the time.

B1G full of it. If tOSU lost this weekend and Indiana beat Purdue, IU would finish 7-1 and tOSU would finish 5-1. Same situation in the West. If Northwestern loses to Illinois they will finish 5-2. If Iowa beats Wisconsin they would finish 6-2. Basic math has always eluded the Can't Count Conference. Never mind, will determine the Divisional champs by decree before the season is finalized. Give tOSU two weeks to prepare as well.

To some extent Miami is getting a short straw in the ACC. They still have the potential to finish 9-1 with wins over GT and UNC. Notre Dame could finish 9-1 with a loss to Wake. Clemson could finish 8-2 with a loss to FSU. Too messy for the ACC, hopeful of getting two teams in championship playoff.

It's all about the money all of the time.

Yeah, if it was Indiana sitting at 5-0 and OSU at 7-1, I guarantee they wouldn't have changed the rules.

Yeah, man, if tOSU had played the gauntlet of Maryland, Illinois, and Michigan they'd probably have a loss.

Yeah, man, if tOSU had played the gauntlet of Maryland, Illinois, and Michigan they'd probably have a loss.

Exactly. Why both even playing the games at all?

(Actually that seems to be the modus operandi for the league that can't count)

Exactly. Why both even playing the games at all?

(Actually that seems to be the modus operandi for the league that can't count)

Yeah, just pencil in Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and ND every year for the playoff and be done. That's what the media wants anyway right.

these are fun arguments because everyone is structuring their arguments without any consideration toward its impact on their preferred team or conference

I prefer every conference to the B1G, except maybe the PAC 12, but definitely the SEC and the ACC, and usually the Big XII. All those other conferences don't count.

Would Michigan play their one game of the season to save Harbaugh's job and beat their biggest rival? We'll never know.

How likely was the Steeler's loss to the Washington Football Team?

Would Michigan play their one game of the season to save Harbaugh's job and beat their biggest rival? We'll never know.

A lot more likely than Michigan beating OSU. Except in rare cases, there's not near the amount of separation between the top NFL teams and the bad NFL teams, as there is between top college teams and bad college teams. Your point still stands though, that's why you play the games. Well, I guess not this year anyway.

Last edited:

Roughly 6 times more likely than Michigan beating tOSU according to Vegas. The line was also 24 points lower.

NFL upsets aren't that big of a deal that's why it's a huge deal for a team to even make it to 11-0 when at least two or three college teams do that every year.

No one really cares. This season gonna have an asterisk the size of a billboard on it. Good for shits and grins, but no one is going to count it for shit long term.

My BIL is a fan of tOSU and Alabama. He has been concerned about tOSU playing enough games to qualify. I've just laughed and responded the B1G will do what it takes to ensure tOSU gets in the playoff. When the ACC rearranged the schedule to give Clemson and ND a bye this week he was critical. This week has been my vindication. My brother is an IU grad. He isn't amused by any of this. The contrarian in me wants to see Clemson, Alabama and tOSU lose their championship games to really muddy the waters but that would require ND winning. That is one thing I never like.

BTW, Alabama, tOSU, Clemson and Notre Dame do appear to be the best four teams at this point in time.

ESPN will be the exclusive media rights holder of SEC games starting in 2024-25. Yuck. I will miss the SEC on CBS theme.

ESPN will be the exclusive media rights holder of SEC games starting in 2024-25. Yuck. I will miss the SEC on CBS theme.

Back