• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Case for Nathan Hatch

I think small classes being taught by professors in an intimate environment is a great thing, and it shouldn't be limited to a small subset of the population.

I know recent Wake grads at Goldman, McKinsey, JPMorgan, Google, Facebook, Morgan Stanley, top hedge funds, white shoe law firms, top MBA programs, etc, etc. Can you say the same from UNC?

I thought our mission was to make sure everyone got out on pledge night

I know recent Wake grads at Goldman, McKinsey, JPMorgan, Google, Facebook, Morgan Stanley, top hedge funds, white shoe law firms, top MBA programs, etc, etc. Can you say the same from UNC?

I am sure that all of those companies and firms recruit from UNC. Are you serious?

No. No one at UNC ever succeeds at anything. It's the last 50,000.00 that puts the marginally qualified people over the top.

Fixed it to reflect what you really think. I'm not sure I could ever convince you that you are wrong, though I would welcome the opportunity to share my thoughts with you (we are both gardeners, after all . . . work the earth, drink some beer, solve the world's problems).

Glad to do it, but perhaps not in that order.

I am sure that all of those companies and firms recruit from UNC. Are you serious?

They don't recruit at UNC or WFU. They get applicants from referrals and they look at Wake much different than UNC. I'd guess that UNC places the same number of kids in top firms as Wake but has 5x the student body.

Wake's endowment is not that large compared to peer institutions. The early 21st Century was not kind to us.

And whose fault is that?

The recession hit every school's endowment pretty hard. But from 2009-2012 the average total growth for the 69 schools with endowment's of $1 billion or more is 27.8%. Wake's endowment has grown roughly 12% over that time (or 4% per year). Of those 69 schools only Yeshiva University, University of Delaware, and Rockefeller University had worse growth rates over that time span.

And whose fault is that?

The recession hit every school's endowment pretty hard. But from 2009-2012 the average total growth for the 69 schools with endowment's of $1 billion or more is 27.8%. Wake's endowment has grown roughly 12% over that time (or 4% per year). Of those 69 schools only Yeshiva University, University of Delaware, and Rockefeller University had worse growth rates over that time span.

Before people think I'm running Wake down, I need to be clear that I am doing anything but. Wake has been very, very good to my family. My concern is that era is over if they don't remember where they came from.

They don't recruit at UNC or WFU. They get applicants from referrals and they look at Wake much different than UNC. I'd guess that UNC places the same number of kids in top firms as Wake but has 5x the student body.

Do you have any numbers to back that up? UNC has a much wider span of majors and people who wouldn't even think of pursuing a career with one of those companies/firms.

Do you have any numbers to back that up?

It'll take you all of 2 minutes to figure out on LinkedIn. But please keep your silly little LOWF mentality to justify why you couldn't get a big time job...

People keep mentioning this "$60,000" price tag--you do understand that this is just the sticker cost?
The average financial aid package of grants (ie: NOT including any loans) is over $32,000 (according to the latest Common Data set), so the average cost of attendance is actually $28,000--which is pretty close to the cost of attendance for in-state public schools.j

College is one product that has many, many price points.
The fact is that the most selective private schools almost all cost $60,000 and these are typically the most affordable options for folks who have need.

It'll take you all of 2 minutes to figure out on LinkedIn. But please keep your silly little LOWF mentality to justify why you couldn't get a big time job...

Dude, what are you talking about? You know nothing about me or how much money I make.

I'll concede this...Wake isn't the place to go if you're going to major in sociology, English, history, etc but if you major in econ, business, math, physics, etc. it will pay for itself many times over.

People keep mentioning this "$60,000" price tag--you do understand that this is just the sticker cost?
The average financial aid package of grants (ie: NOT including any loans) is over $32,000 (according to the latest Common Data set), so the average cost of attendance is actually $28,000--which is pretty close to the cost of attendance for in-state public schools.j

The fact is that the most selective private schools almost all cost $60,000 and these are typically the most affordable options for folks who have need.

LOL no

Wake's endowment is not that large compared to peer institutions. The early 21st Century was not kind to us.

Put Castevens in charge of the endowment. I'm sure he can have us in Stanford territory in a few years.

I'll concede this...Wake isn't the place to go if you're going to major in sociology, English, history, etc but if you major in econ, business, math, physics, etc. it will pay for itself many times over.

That's fair.

If we're into being pennywise and pound foolish as we seem to be, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to live in Winston Salem for four years than any other town with an elite school.

Is this the average for all those who received financial aid of some kind or the average for all students (including those who pay full tuition)?

Back