• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Case for Nathan Hatch

If we're into being pennywise and pound foolish as we seem to be, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to live in Winston Salem for four years than any other town with an elite school.

This would be relevant if room and board weren't factored in to the "$60,000" people keep quoting or if you could actually live in Winston Salem and not on campus (which is considerably more expensive).

I know recent Wake grads at Goldman, McKinsey, JPMorgan, Google, Facebook, Morgan Stanley, top hedge funds, white shoe law firms, top MBA programs, etc, etc. Can you say the same from UNC?

That's just bad luck on your part.

Ask them if they know Bill Harrison, former chairman and chief executive officer of JPMorgan Chase & Co....and proud UNC Tar Heel.

This would be relevant if room and board weren't factored in to the "$60,000" people keep quoting or if you could actually live in Winston Salem and not on campus (which is considerably more expensive).

I didn't realize that room and board was the only cost of living. Damn me and my need to eat, drink and do anything but sit in a shitty dorm room.

Two things I'm learning from this thread.

Wake is producing more entitled assholes than it used to produce.

Poor and middle class kids are taking the hit for mismanagement of the endowment during the last decade when a ton of people got filthy rich and our peer institutions were making bank.

That's just bad luck on your part.

Ask them if they know Bill Harrison, former chairman and chief executive officer of JPMorgan Chase & Co....and proud UNC Tar Heel.

What part of recent graduates didn't you get?

Two things I'm learning from this thread.

Wake is producing more entitled assholes than it used to produce.

Poor and middle class kids are taking the hit for mismanagement of the endowment during the last decade when a ton of people got filthy rich and our peer institutions were making bank.

Wayyyy too far. Sorry ph.

Last edited:
What part of recent graduates didn't you get?

You're right. I'm sure he totally forgot where he went to school when he was making hiring decisions. I'm sure Sallie Krawcheck did the same. And Hugh McColl. One in three BCS Conference Commissioners is a UNC grad.

But I'm sure your friends in the summer associate program are cleaning up. (Full disclosure: I know I'm being a jerk, but not sure how else to respond to that non sequiter).

I didn't realize that room and board was the only cost of living. Damn me and my need to eat, drink and do anything but sit in a shitty dorm room.

Based on that I would venture that the COL difference is <$500/yr between Wake and other elite universities in more expensive cities. You went to wake, you know most people rarely go do shit off campus. It's probably even worse now that freshman have to park over a mile away from campus.

Based on that I would venture that the COL difference is <$500/yr between Wake and other elite universities in more expensive cities. You went to wake, you know most people rarely go do shit off campus. It's probably even worse now that freshman have to park over a mile away from campus.

I think that a good percent of students live off campus for at least a year and the difference between Wake and say Georgetown would be around $20k but that's an extreme example. As I said, Wake is great if you choose a major to make money but if you pick something silly because you like it, dropping $250k is dumb.

My mom is a professor at Lehigh. Lehigh is ranked in the top 40 and even their best business students don't come close to getting the same opportunities Wake grads get despite the fact that Lehigh is 1.5 hours from NYC. Usually one Lehigh grad gets a job at UBS and that's about it.

The difference between Wake and Lehigh is massive even though Lehigh has a much bigger endowment. Being in the top 25 is huge.

You're right. I'm sure he totally forgot where he went to school when he was making hiring decisions. I'm sure Sallie Krawcheck did the same. And Hugh McColl. One in three BCS Conference Commissioners is a UNC grad.

But I'm sure your friends in the summer associate program are cleaning up. (Full disclosure: I know I'm being a jerk, but not sure how else to respond to that non sequiter).

Actually, my friends I interned with 6 years ago are doing very well for themselves. There were 4 Wake people in our group. One works for GE Capital now, I work for a hedge fund, one went to law school (randomly) and the other is going to Wharton. So I'd say we did pretty well. It's funny how you think that I had to intern is some slight to me. That was a long time ago.

The rest of the class came from Harvard, Penn, Duke, Vandy and Princeton...no UNC.

People keep mentioning this "$60,000" price tag--you do understand that this is just the sticker cost?
The average financial aid package of grants (ie: NOT including any loans) is over $32,000 (according to the latest Common Data set), so the average cost of attendance is actually $28,000--which is pretty close to the cost of attendance for in-state public schools.

Where? I looked up UNC and UVA (both peer institutions) and it seems a lot less than $28,000.

UNC looks to be around 8,400 in tuition and fees for a year as an in state student. Need to include living etc but that's not 28,000..
UVA is $13,490 and that includes room and board. I'm truly not trying to be argumentative but I assume when you made that statement you had something in mind. Were you speaking of California schools or what?

Not sure if it's been addressed, but in my opinion, aside from some differences I have with Hatch on the direction of WF administratively, I don't really care. The real issue is that I can't believe how our signature sport has been allowed to sink to historic lows. I mean, I don't sit down for a couple of hours 2-3 times a week looking at our usnews ranking thinking "damn, we're really getting after it." We don't sell out coliseums to see Dr. Atala speak 20 times a year. Sports programs are mainly what alums follow to maintain that part of there identity. I can't believe that Hatch has let this happen. I really don't see Wellman escaping from this. Am I crazy here?

P.S. Grobo also angers me, but our football program has suffered much worse, so I'll reserve comment on that matter.

Not sure if it's been addressed, but in my opinion, aside from some differences I have with Hatch on the direction of WF administratively, I don't really care. The real issue is that I can't believe how our signature sport has been allowed to sink to historic lows. I mean, I don't sit down for a couple of hours 2-3 times a week looking at our usnews ranking thinking "damn, we're really getting after it." We don't sell out coliseums to see Dr. Atala speak 20 times a year. Sports programs are mainly what alums follow to maintain that part of there identity. I can't believe that Hatch has let this happen. I really don't see Wellman escaping from this. Am I crazy here?

P.S. Grobo also angers me, but our football program has suffered much worse, so I'll reserve comment on that matter.

Read my post on the Duke game thread about how Wellman escapes from this. The only way Wellman goes is if he wants to.

My mom is a professor at Lehigh. Lehigh is ranked in the top 40 and even their best business students don't come close to getting the same opportunities Wake grads get despite the fact that Lehigh is 1.5 hours from NYC. Usually one Lehigh grad gets a job at UBS and that's about it.

The difference between Wake and Lehigh is massive even though Lehigh has a much bigger endowment. Being in the top 25 is huge.

In 2011 the difference between Lehigh and WF was only about $19 million.
http://www.statisticbrain.com/college-endowment-rankings/

"Say what you will about Wellman but the dude is smart. We're nowhere near rock bottom yet. Our only chance is Wellman wants to move on and take a position in the NCAA or ACC. If he's manipulated Wake this much I have no doubt he can pull just about anything off. Or maybe he could retire. But more likely, Wellman sticks around and Grobe finishes his contract. I'm all but certain [Redacted] will get an extension after this year. Then after next year Grobe retires, Wellman picks his replacement (someone with Grobe ties) and [Redacted] keeps on Bzzing."

Is this what you're referring to?

If so, what supports this assertion?

Last edited:
I think that a good percent of students live off campus for at least a year and the difference between Wake and say Georgetown would be around $20k but that's an extreme example. As I said, Wake is great if you choose a major to make money but if you pick something silly because you like it, dropping $250k is dumb.

Not any more

Back