• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Charlotte Hornets are Coming Home.

Ha, wow. I'm legitimately surprised there's someone who cares that much about the Bobcats name.

I am a Bobcat fan. So is my wife. So is my son. So are the folks that I go to games with. So are a hell of a lot of other Cats fans that put that care on display with season tickets. I am not a fan of the chickens*** Hornets that packed up in the night when Shinn didn't get his way.

and again, from above:

According to chief sales and marketing officer Pete Guelli, more than 60 percent of those polled liked the name Bobcats; about 20 percent advocated a name change.

I am a Bobcat fan. So is my wife. So is my son. So are the folks that I go to games with. So are a hell of a lot of other Cats fans that put that care on display with season tickets. I am not a fan of the chickens*** Hornets that packed up in the night when Shinn didn't get his way.

Great, the Bobcats name still sucks and still reminds most everyone of the shitty owner who named the team after himself. Just buy a new Kemba shirsey and move on with your life while the rest of us celebrate having our Hornets back.

Will you not cheer for the Hornets when they change the name?

I am a fan of Charlotte pro basketball - I will tell the organization (again) that I like what they are doing (with the name) and hope for the myriad kids like mine that love the Cats that they don't but if they do, I am still a fan of Charlotte pro basketball. I think it's far from a done deal that they will change the name however. What is a done deal is that they are going to look into it. But I will say that the Bring Back the Buzz folks aren't doing themselves favors by shouting Hornets chants at Bobcats games.

Great, the Bobcats name still sucks and still reminds most everyone of the shitty owner who named the team after himself. Just buy a new Kemba shirsey and move on with your life while the rest of us celebrate having our Hornets back.

So your retort is to tell me that for supporting the home team and buying merchandise and contributing to making it viable in this city, I should step aside and let you celebrate having your Hornets back? You clearly aren't a fan of this franchise, you are simply a fan of a name.

Shinn is a cowardly shit and the Hornets name should've never left Charlotte to begin with. He should've left it behind like Clay Bennett did the Sonics name. If Jordan has the opportunity to regain the Hornets name, I can't see him not doing it.

I want the Hornets name back for sure. We will obviously keep the history of the current team, because it's the same franchise.

Say what you want for Adam, but being a diehard season ticket holding Bobcats fan is some loyalty right there.

According to chief sales and marketing officer Pete Guelli, more than 60 percent of those polled liked the name Bobcats; about 20 percent advocated a name change.

In a poll over 2 years ago where they were specifically not allowed to ask about changing to the hornets. I would venture a guess that merchandise sales of Bobcats gear is next to nil outside of Charlotte and North Carolina meanwhile Charlotte hornets gear is STILL being sold throughout the country. They would make a killing on new merchandise with a name change, almost guaranteed.

Say what you want for Adam, but being a diehard season ticket holding Bobcats fan is some loyalty right there.

Except that an entire seasons worth of tickets could be had for $80 this year, probably less than you would need to drop to go to one clippers game.

Last edited:
Jordan really dislikes Bob Johnson and hates the fact that his name is linked to the team through the team name.

"The team has prepared, though. A marketing study of Charlotte the team commissioned during the summer of 2010, couldn’t ask specific questions about the Hornets, but did poll Charlotteans on the name “Bobcats.”

The results might surprise you.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/05/3708819/nostalgia-money-could-follow-hornets.html#storylink=cpy"

As for your comments about the Bob, there are two parts to that; one is that Bob Johnson is not in the spotlight any longer, two, the team has deliberately shortened the name to Cats (see unis, apparel and signage).

And we have a mascot, it's Rufus Lynx - and that's a big part of this for folks like me that have kids that only know Rufus. They have ZERO affiliation w/ the Hornets or Hugo or anything else in teal other than that's a team they hate when they come to town. If you went to games and watched on the jumbotron - you'd see that the arena is loaded with kids (from toddlers to teens) that dance and cheer and wear their Cats gear as if it's the only team they know .... that's because it is. And that's why this whole "name" only change stuff so misses the mark - it's being driven by a bunch of guys that were the same age as the currents Cats kids fans now when the Hornets started up .... they need to move on.

I guarantee you the merchandise and other revenue they would receive from me, a 27 year old in Raleigh, is more than they get from toddlers. People in RALEIGH, halfway across th state want the name to change and would actually support the team (which had 0 support up here now. Literally). Combine that with all of my demographic actually in the city and you've got a recipe for success.

The fact that tix are cheap enough for what sounds like half the stadium being toddlers says a lot about demand.

Except that an entire seasons worth of tickets could be had for $80 this year, probably less than you would need to drop to go to one clippers game.

True, but If you've attended a majority of bobcat games the past few years, you are one heck of a loyal sports fan.

How many of you even know why the team was named the Hornets in the first place? It's a travesty that the name ever left town.

How many of you even know why the team was named the Hornets in the first place? It's a travesty that the name ever left town.

Oh, I do. It was to match the name of the Muggsy led women's team.

I know the real reason too.

Aside from that whole little problem with the constitution, Why do we even bother having states now? How much taxpayer money is wasted luring movies, sports teams, businesses, etc. from one area of the country to another. We need a strong monarch. I nominate Tim Duncan.

"The team has prepared, though. A marketing study of Charlotte the team commissioned during the summer of 2010, couldn’t ask specific questions about the Hornets, but did poll Charlotteans on the name “Bobcats.”

The results might surprise you.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/05/3708819/nostalgia-money-could-follow-hornets.html#storylink=cpy"

As for your comments about the Bob, there are two parts to that; one is that Bob Johnson is not in the spotlight any longer, two, the team has deliberately shortened the name to Cats (see unis, apparel and signage).

And we have a mascot, it's Rufus Lynx - and that's a big part of this for folks like me that have kids that only know Rufus. They have ZERO affiliation w/ the Hornets or Hugo or anything else in teal other than that's a team they hate when they come to town. If you went to games and watched on the jumbotron - you'd see that the arena is loaded with kids (from toddlers to teens) that dance and cheer and wear their Cats gear as if it's the only team they know .... that's because it is. And that's why this whole "name" only change stuff so misses the mark - it's being driven by a bunch of guys that were the same age as the currents Cats kids fans now when the Hornets started up .... they need to move on.

How about all the kids who grew up with the Charlotte Hornets...all those kids are in that 20-40 demographic now, which means those people with fond memories of the Hornets are walking around with disposable income. Kids who grew up with the Bobcats have pimples.

Would you stop going if the Hornets came back to town?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't see MJ all that eager to change back to a name tHat has been in NO for the past 7-8 years from a name that has been in cLT the past 4-5 years.

The biggest problem for the New Orleans basketball team, name-wise that is, is that the best names are already taken. Saints, Privateers (which is off the hook awesome), and Jazz are all occupied. They can't even be the Ragin' Cajuns.

The biggest problem for the New Orleans basketball team, name-wise that is, is that the best names are already taken. Saints, Privateers (which is off the hook awesome), and Jazz are all occupied. They can't even be the Ragin' Cajuns.

Swamp Donkies was available.

Being kind of a prick about it, tho.

How exactly have I been a prick about supporting my adopted town team? How am I a prick if me, and folks like me, preserved enough interest that someone that is ONLY interested in the franchise IF it changes names can benefit from what I put into it until a time they get their name change? I am the prick here? I like that - fan and diehard and contributor = prick. You guys should have some massive whale penis names for me and my relationship with Wake Forest then.

Back