• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Deacs v The Cuse Game Thread

In ended up being a great finish for the psyche. Chaundee, Mitchell, and Sarr came up big and we came out with a win. Hope that will carry over to Saturday at BC.

We were already up 2 possessions when Sarr went to the line.

Until it's a one possession game all that matters is making a good inbounds pass, not fouling on defense, and having guys on the floor who can shoot free throws. People are posting as if it was a 1 point game. Yeah, Wilbekin on defense means they are more likely to hit a 3. But we were up 5 at that point, and hitting free throws keeps it a 2 possession game even if they hit (which they did, and we did). Same reason you have your best passer with some height inbound even though he's a 90% free throw shooter.

Assuming we had timeouts left (can't remember), sure you could put in a longer defender and call timeout if they make it. But then you're letting them set up their press when it's really a turnover that could kill you.

The Dinger was questioning why Starr didn’t immediately throw it back to Crawford on the first play and the wisdom of putting all of the pressure on a freshman who was 0-2 from the line at that point in the game.

I'm certain the Dinger knows more about basketball than any of us, but why do we assume any of us know more about basketball than Danny fucking Manning?

Fair point about pressure on a freshman, but clearly Manning trusts Sarr to hold the ball and make those shots and he did. I don't remember there being much time or space for a return pass, but i could be wrong.

Job #1, get the ball in bounds. There are few games we can all point to where that didn't happen in past years (Richmond at home?). So the question is who is the best person that can get the ball in bounds.

Sarr - no - unproven
MW - no
Chill - no
Brown - no

Of our choices who is going to give us the greatest chance to get the ball in?

I'm certain the Dinger knows more about basketball than any of us, but why do we assume any of us know more about basketball than Danny fucking Manning?

Fair point about pressure on a freshman, but clearly Manning trusts Sarr to hold the ball and make those shots and he did. I don't remember there being much time or space for a return pass, but i could be wrong.

No but you wouldn't know it by some of DMs decisions and their results. The lineup in the game when we went from up 8 to down was inexplicable. That's when we stopped feeding the middle of that zone.

I'm certainly not a hater, and I am a fairly knowledgeable fan. DM is perplexing.

No but you wouldn't know it by some of DMs decisions and their results. The lineup in the game when we went from up 8 to down was inexplicable. That's when we stopped feeding the middle of that zone.

I'm certainly not a hater, and I am a fairly knowledgeable fan. DM is perplexing.

Clearly

Wake -1.5. No way we win this game. I wish it were different but this team against a strong zone where you have to be disciplined. We have shown zero capability in that regard. How many bad 3s do we shoot? Look I love Wake basketball but teams like this with poor chemistry and no leadership, and seemingly little bench coaching. Hard to be positive.

The Dinger was questioning why Starr didn’t immediately throw it back to Crawford on the first play and the wisdom of putting all of the pressure on a freshman who was 0-2 from the line at that point in the game.

He was fouled within .6 seconds of catching the ball based on the clock. A little hard to do much in that time.

Don't be mad, he was giving you the benefit of the doubt...

Funniest thing I have read on the boards in weeks. Had to pos-rep this one! (Said I had to spread reputation around first, so I owe you one when the great computer in the sky allows me to send another one your way.)

I don’t know how to put this, but I am a fairly knowledgeable fan. People know me. I’m very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

In ended up being a great finish for the psyche. Chaundee, Mitchell, and Sarr came up big and we came out with a win. Hope that will carry over to Saturday at BC.

I felt pretty great about getting this win and this was the #1 reason why.

I think Chaundee and Sarr will have better games against BC because of how they brought this one home. I think DM put Sarr in this spot because he thought he could handle it, and because that worked out it will be big for him going forward. Chaundee I’m less sure about but he has no where to go but up and he will.

We are on the verge of looking like a team that should have a chance in ALMOST any ACC game if we can get consistency from the majority of our 5-6 core players on any given night.

In reality we will have our ups and downs but they’ve showed me enough go suck me back in and see what happens this year for some of these guys.

There’s my sunny outlook for the day to compensate for some of the posters jumping off cliffs.

Dude, I don’t drink. Haven’t for 15 years. Where do you get off saying this crap? Do I know you?

Don't be mad, he was giving you the benefit of the doubt...

Said much better than I could. I assumed that anybody with your inability to post anything but the most inane drivel, OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, must be shitfaced.

If not :noidea:

Because he is, by far, our most reliable passer in that situation, and they had a 6'10" guy covering the inbounder.

And because Syracuse played pretty good D on that inbounds and the main targets of Wilbekin and Childress could not get open.

I thought we played pretty well and I thought Danny coached a good game.

Solid home win over a team slated to finish around us in conference play.

That kid guarding the inbounder was the definition of lanky.

Maybe to make sure he had clear pass rather than putting the ball out there to be stolen?

Also because Sarr hit 85% of his FTs in the FIBA U19 World Championships and he is confident about making the shots - 5/6 last night in the last minute.

DM is not on the court. Clearly, his game plan was to get the ball into the middle and we did. During that period, it's on the players to execute the game plan.

Sarr had great help D with Wilby to kill potential 3-point shots over the last 90 seconds of the game. He may be bad right now on the baseline, but his top of the key defense was exceptional. His length really fucked with Howard.

I think we are underselling Moore. He turned away so many potential Syracuse layups simply by his presence. His movement in the paint to protect the rim right now is really really good, nearly exceptional.

I like Mitchell too and he and Brown seem to have a good rapport. I am glad he has settled in at the 4 because there will be no minutes anywhere else for him the next few years.

Brown's 3 was an ugly make.

After Crawford hit his two corner 3s, he dribbled down and had Wilbekin wide open in the same corner and instead took a ridiculous 3-pointer that wasn't even close. That simply cannot happen in your 3rd year. We almost lost the game because he screwed that up. After he blew that decision and Syracuse came down and scored, the game was essentially a toss-up. Had he thrown the right (easy) pass and Wilby made it, I think we would have had a 75% chance of winning. I really hope he is forced to watch the tape over and over.

Childress was calm and cool and our best zone breaker from the perimeter. That said, Wilbekin did a really good job surprisingly, in the 1st half. Kudos to him for improving each year.

Does Crawford always missing his heat checks count solidly against the argument that the "hot hand" is a real thing? lol

ETA: please don't respond to this seriously. It was just a joke (I'm looking at you RJ) :D

If Crawford makes the top 10 on Sportscenter ONE DAMN TIME will he stop with the heat checks and highlight dunk attempts?

Back