• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The devil never sleeps, this time it's Nice, France

The problem with issuing p.c. apologies you don't subjectively believe is you end up getting angry when people point out how wrong you were. Sorry about it.

What if you guys put down the script and pick up a newspaper for a change? Maybe 80 people would still be alive

If only Europe had had two parents.

So being "anti-PC" at this point is just a euphemism for "I'm going to say whatever I want and if you're offended that's too bad because I'm going to say it anyway" right?

I believe that guns and bombs in the Middle East largely contributed to the escalation of extremist ideology

A devastating drought, exacerbated by a population boom in Syria (the population increased seven fold since 1950) also played a big role in destabilizing Syria. The frightening thing is most of the region is water vulnerable and has experienced similar population growth.
According to a 2014 article by Peter H. Gleick of the Pacific Institute in Oakland, California, entitled “Water, Drought, Climate Change, and Conflict in Syria,” in an American Meteorological Society journal, a crop-withering drought that started in 1998 was an underlying trigger of the economic upheaval and social unrest that eventually morphed into a no-holds-barred civil war of hellish proportions. Writes Gleick:
“There is a long history of conflicts over water in [North Africa and the Middle East] because of the natural water scarcity, the early development of irrigated agriculture, and complex religious and ethnic diversity.”
Crop failure caused by Syria’s worst drought in hundreds of years forced millions of destitute farming families and other rural residents to migrate to the country’s urban areas, resulting in what the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace called a “severe social crisis.” These multitudes of vulnerable, displaced persons became what amounted to social tinder or fuel in the eventual conflagration that consumed Syria.

Syria’s population explosion in the latter 20th century was also extremely destabilizing and contributed to the catastrophe. The population exploded from a mere three million in 1950 to more than 22 million in 2012. With this increase in the number of water consumers, the country’s total per capita renewable water availability plummeted by nearly 90 percent, from 5,500 cubic meters per year to under 760, to a condition of absolute water scarcity.
In a 2010 Reuter’s article entitled, “Syria grapples with surging population,” written before the outbreak of the social strife and civil war, Reuter’s correspondent Alistair Lyon described one taxi driver in Damascus with two wives and nine children who planned to marry a third wife soon. He said that Allah would choose how many children he had and that he had no intention of interfering with Allah’s prerogative by using contraceptives.

Traditional attitudes like these toward preferred family size and family planning may have been appropriate at a time when infant mortality rates were high, but as modern Western medicines (antibiotics, vaccines, etc.) became available in the latter 20th century, sharply reducing the death rate, one logical outcome was that population growth surged. And this surging population entailed myriad environmental, economic and social consequences – stiffening competition for diminishing resources; increasing traffic, air and water pollution; huge classroom sizes and substandard education; unemployment; overburdened health care, social services and utilities, and so forth.

Back in 2010, when Syria still had a future that was a mix of promise and peril – just before the bottom fell out – Nabil Sukkar, a Syrian economist formerly with the World Bank, told Reuter’s:
“We have a population problem, no question. Unless we cope with it, it could be a burden on our development.”
http://www.capsweb.org/blog/overpopulation-drought-and-syria%E2%80%99s-devastating-five-year-civil-war
Syria%20population%20growth_zpseod1wyud.png

There's nothing you can do to prevent something like this, absolutely nothing. No bombing, no rounding up of a group, etc... Society is held together in certain beliefs that run through it, a big one is you don't kill one another. If a lone individual wants to do something bad they will do it. They don't need to be a genius they don't need to coordinate with any great central power, they can just do it. In the US it always points to the ease of guns and that if you wanted to buy some guns and go to a crowded place today and kill people you could. However you don't need guns you can run people over as seen here, if you are smart you can make a bomb, hell if you go to a local pet store buy 100 ferrets, get sick with the flu, pass it back and forth the ferrets for a year you will have a bioweapon. It's easy to kill and there's really nothing anyone can do about it if that's someone's intent.

So being "anti-PC" at this point is just a euphemism for "I'm going to say whatever I want and if you're offended that's too bad because I'm going to say it anyway" right?

Not sure I follow you. Are you saying people should not be allowed to speak openly out of fear they might offend someone? Given how quick some folks on here are to take offense, that would be bad for honest dialogue.

maybe we say 'fuck off, israel' and cede the middle east. the terrorists won; i'd rather be able to live in peace than jam democracy down the throats of people who don't get it.

Or you could just drop the act and admit those people are kind of a problem. Whichever.

Not sure I follow you. Are you saying people should not be allowed to speak openly out of fear they might offend someone? Given how quick some folks on here are to take offense, that would be bad for honest dialogue.

No I'm saying the people who are on a crusade against "political correctness" are just interested in saying whatever they feel without reproach from others, regardless of what the statement is.

Or you could just drop the act and admit those people are kind of a problem. Whichever.

My statement was a general one, not intended to specifically address whatever it is you said on this thread earlier. Not all about you princess.

The interior minister, Bernard Cazeneuve, said: “We are at war with terrorists who want to strike us at any cost and who are extremely violent.”
I hate when politicians issue obvious statements like this. Like the French people need to be told terrorists are violent.

I hate when politicians issue obvious statements like this. Like the French people need to be told terrorists are violent.

Well a lot of American people want Obama to make obvious statements like there is radical terrorism every single time we are attacked.

I think that's pretty obvious too. Like the Americans need to be told that radical terrorists are a problem.

I didn't think anybody needed to be told that Trump is an absolutely terrible candidate who is grossly out of touch with the way policy and the rest of society operates, yet here we are. So I think issuing obvious statements may be in everyone's best interest moving forward.

Well a lot of American people want Obama to make obvious statements like there is radical terrorism every single time we are attacked.

I think that's pretty obvious too. Like the Americans need to be told that radical terrorists are a problem.

Why won't you say "radical Islamic terror" Doofus?

Back