• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The devil never sleeps, this time it's Nice, France

I didn't think anybody needed to be told that Trump is an absolutely terrible candidate who is grossly out of touch with the way policy and the rest of society operates, yet here we are. So I think issuing obvious statements may be in everyone's best interest moving forward.

Deal. Black Lives Matter.

So being "anti-PC" at this point is just a euphemism for "I'm going to say whatever I want and if you're offended that's too bad because I'm going to say it anyway" right?

It's two sides of the same linguistic coin. The people policing language for trigger words are searching for safe spaces so they can be protected from ever being offended. The anti-PC crowd want a safe space where they can shout whatever they want. Blaming semantics and language is a way of avoiding conversation. As in "it's not an assault rifle. Get the precise terminology right or I won't continue the conversation." Or "Why won't Obama call it Islamic terrorism?"

We live in a post-factual world now. Facts do not matter. Rhetoric still does, though. It's why fascism is rising again.

But policing language, whether for PC or anti-PC purposes, is precisely the kind of Orwellian nonsense we've been warned about.

Thought crime is the next step. Like Trump or Gingrich wanting to deport/deny people based on ideology.

I don't think people are generally in denial about the threat "we" face, I think people disagree on how to address the issue. If you want to shut down the American borders to shut down the small number of terrorist attacks that occur domestically due to immigrants, then that's your prerogative. I don't think disagreeing that this is a practical or helpful solution means the "pro-immigration left" is in "denial."

Consider how you just framed the issue: "the small number of terrorist attacks that occur domestically".
Even if you believe the number of these attacks has been small, the impact has been enormous. And it's not like the American people are not facing an ongoing threat from this type of terrorism.

It's two sides of the same linguistic coin. The people policing language for trigger words are searching for safe spaces so they can be protected from ever being offended. The anti-PC crowd want a safe space where they can shout whatever they want. Blaming semantics and language is a way of avoiding conversation. As in "it's not an assault rifle. Get the precise terminology right or I won't continue the conversation." Or "Why won't Obama call it Islamic terrorism?"

We live in a post-factual world now. Facts do not matter. Rhetoric still does, though. It's why fascism is rising again.

But policing language, whether for PC or anti-PC purposes, is precisely the kind of Orwellian nonsense we've been warned about.

Thought crime is the next step. Like Trump or Gingrich wanting to deport/deny people based on ideology.

the Tunnels is a hellavua drug, eh?

also, numbers must've had his wheaties this morning

when a random muslims commit an acts of terror, all muslims are terrorists

when random police officers brutally murder suspects, just an unfortunate, isolated incident

Infidel Lives Matter, man.

Thought crime is the last step. Like Trump or Gingrich wanting to deport/deny people based on ideology.

We already have hate crime laws. Been there, done that.

Consider how you just framed the issue: "the small number of terrorist attacks that occur domestically".
Even if you believe the number of these attacks has been small, the impact has been enormous. And it's not like the American people are not facing an ongoing threat from this type of terrorism.

How many domestic terrorist attacks over the past few years in America have been conducted by immigrants coming into the country?

I don't think that pro-police and anti-BLM groups are in denial at all on those points so it seems that we both agree that denial is not in play then?

i fell short of the goal line i should have changed your denial to racist but although you may not see the hypocrisy in your post I know some will and they will enjoy it. makes me feel good knowing that.

Well with people like JHMD and BSF4L out there it's pretty clear that he does need to remind people.

Numbers has gone full heel on me. SAD! But you're wrong. I think the overwhelming majority of immigrants, including Muslims, are good people and have empathy for them.

i fell short of the goal line i should have changed your denial to racist but although you may not see the hypocrisy in your post I know some will and they will enjoy it. makes me feel good knowing that.

I just don't find much hypocrisy, although I'm clearly biased since it's my own position. I don't believe that most of the "All Lives Matter" movement are in denial that there's an existing problem, they just disagree on the root cause and what impact race actually plays in it. Similarly, I don't believe that most liberals believe terror, specifically Islamic terror, are in denial that this is an existing problem, they just disagree on what the proper and most-effective response is/should be. Not really denial/racism in either.

Numbers has gone full heel on me. SAD! But you're wrong. I think the overwhelming majority of immigrants, including Muslims, are good people and have empathy for them.

You're either with numbers, or you are against him. #nuanced

How many domestic terrorist attacks over the past few years in America have been conducted by immigrants coming into the country?

Why not consider the children of these immigrants as well? And why not consider the costs associated with these attacks- in terms of the lives destroyed, the civl liberties lost, the financial costs, etc. And why limit it to the past few years? Your whole framing reeks of disingenuousness.

You consistently post articles from The_Donald subreddit and are obtuse on roughly every single topic that is engaged in on these boards. You post opinion articles as if they are fact, post articles from obscure sites as if they are fact while rejecting articles from mainstream sites for being biased, and when confronted with facts or statistics that oppose your point of view you simply don't engage but find other opinion articles from more obscure sites to find another looney talking point to latch on to. In sum, you seem to be thoroughly detached from reality in most of your interactions on here. You seem like a nice enough guy, but it must be wild to spend a day in your head.

You'll change your tune when you can [sic] get through traffic on the way home today. i'm all about raising awareness.

giphy.gif

Why not consider the children of these immigrants as well? And why not consider the costs associated with these attacks- in terms of the lives destroyed, the civl liberties lost, the financial costs, etc. And why limit it to the past few years? Your whole framing reeks of disingenuousness.

Not to mention there is one that fits his very limited description in his own city.

Just so we're on the same page, what immigration restriction proposals do you have? You believe that since children of immigrants have committed isolated terrorist attacks that this is evidence that there should be no immigration at all? The economic costs of building a literal and figurative wall around our country would be massive - far, far greater than the costs associated with these isolated terror attacks.

Just so we're on the same page, what immigration restriction proposals do you have? You believe that since children of immigrants have committed isolated terrorist attacks that this is evidence that there should be no immigration at all? The economic costs of building a literal and figurative wall around our country would be massive - far, far greater than the costs associated with these isolated terror attacks.

I'm not pro-wall, but surely you'd admit the benefits of actually enforcing our border are not just security. The American labor market (the folks you guys on the left pretend to champion) would benefit greatly from enforcing our borders.

Back