• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Manning Buyout

Danny Manning’s lawyer vs OGboards. Fight!

edit: shit, maybe it’s Ron’s lawyer

No one's complaining about Danny's lawyers. As others have noted, saying they did good by their client is a gross understatement.

Are you sure ron? 6 years fully guaranteed seems kind steep for a guy that hasn't really shown anything yet.

Mortimer, this is going to make everyone understand how brilliant I am. I planned it this way. Jeff, while an unfortunate casualty, was there to instill our wake forest culture of doing the right things the right way. Then comes in Danny and he molds these kids into winners! It's all coming together Morty.

Big difference between "disowning" him and naming half a dozen features of campus after him. Ridiculous.
If you don't name something after your twenty seven year tenured AD, you have essentially disowned him. None of the big donors, current AD or any of the current coaches really felt that it served a purpose so i'm gonna go with their judgment. i am pissed at him for trashing the hoops program but understand why they would honor him.

Last edited:
Took my (then) 13 year old daughter to the Duke game at the Joel in January of ‘22 (the Alondes/LaRavia year). As we walked into the seating bowl, she grabbed my arm and said “Dad! The upper deck is full!” Which, prior to that night, was something she had never seen before. And as happy as I was at the moment, a big piece of me was still super pissed at Wellman for doing that to our program.

ah, yes, that was only subtle hinting

Most probably know this but his base salary at Louisville is $600K a year. As great a college player as he was he’s much better at scamming universities out of money. My guess is that Danny boy has made over $30m plus at 4 schools and has sucked at all of them. I can’t believe we hired him and can’t believe he keeps getting jobs.

At least Hewitt took GT to a final 4

If you don't name something after your twenty seven year tenured AD, you have essentially disowned him. None of the big donors, current AD or any of the current coaches really felt that it served a purpose so i'm gonna go with their judgment. i am pissed at him for trashing the hoops program but understand why they would honor him.
I disagree, but fine. Put his name on a practice court somewhere. Instead we name a street after him (a street!), a plaza after him, a scholarship after him, a major sportmanship award after him, and fall all over ourselves to celebrate his career. Ron accomplished a lot of good things but IMHO he was not this transformational figure Wake seems to want to make him out to be. Bridger Field House would have been renovated with or without Ron. I just don't understand the deification of the guy.

I disagree, but fine. Put his name on a practice court somewhere. Instead we name a street after him (a street!), a plaza after him, a scholarship after him, a major sportmanship award after him, and fall all over ourselves to celebrate his career. Ron accomplished a lot of good things but IMHO he was not this transformational figure Wake seems to want to make him out to be. Bridger Field House would have been renovated with or without Ron. I just don't understand the deification of the guy.
You have the deets on how these projects were funded? Could be some big donors said here’s so cash, put his name on some things. In which case, it’s your recommendation to say “pass”? What’s the monetary value of that?

Also I don’t think I could tell you who Jasper Memory was, so it’s not like a street on campus has huge value from a memorial standpoint.

You have the deets on how these projects were funded? Could be some big donors said here’s so cash, put his name on some things. In which case, it’s your recommendation to say “pass”? What’s the monetary value of that?

Also I don’t think I could tell you who Jasper Memory was, so it’s not like a street on campus has huge value from a memorial standpoint.
Seems very unlikely a big donor wanted a building named after someone other than the big donor.

Hey, if some donor wants to pony up enough cash they can obviously slap Wellman's name anywhere they want. I'd put the odds of that having actually happened at about one percent for the reason BallState stated. Much more likely is that the staid Wake admin went overboard to commemorate the career of a guy with a squeaky clean rep known for having his teams pull on their socks the right way.

Whatever has that SOB's name plastered on it can be removed and replaced with the current AD in a few years! And Currie's will undoubtedly be well earned and fully justified!

Last edited:
Wellman was the AD here for 27 years. It's an incredibly long tenure. He won national AD of the year, headed up all I-A directors, and was head of both the basketball and baseball committees. He was awarded the Homer Rice award which has gone to a select group of retired ADs. Huge increases in the facilities during his tenure and the most successful period overall in athletics during his tenure whether you think he deserves credit or not.

Outside of a subsection of Wake sports fans, the amount of commemoration of Wellman wouldn't make anybody bat an eye. And I roll my eyes and snicker when he is on the jumbotron, but I understand why that is the case.

Last edited:
Back