• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Nation saw how Duke wins Games

The thing that bothers me and it's not just Duke, but Duke seems to do it better than anybody, is that if you've got athletic slasher type players, you can simply have a game plan of just driving the ball and picking up fouls. Now, that's a legitimate game plan, but it's just gotten too easy in my opinion the way they call fouls. A lot of the time the ball handler initiates the contact, sure the defender may be moving, but what are they supposed to do just stand there? I don't know, it just seems too easy to just charge the basket and get to the free throw line.

The only college basketball fans I interact with up here are Connecticut fans (which appears to be UNC lite in that they have incredibly obnoxious fans just without the academics) and they all hate Duke so the office talk this morning has been tolerable. Everyone seems to think Duke got all the calls which is pretty much just the way the cookie crumbles. The most egregious miss aside from the ball being off Duke was the block call with like four minutes left where the Wiscy guy got elbowed in the face.

The only college basketball fans I interact with up here are Connecticut fans (which appears to be UNC lite in that they have incredibly obnoxious fans just without the academics) and they all hate Duke so the office talk this morning has been tolerable. Everyone seems to think Duke got all the calls which is pretty much just the way the cookie crumbles. The most egregious miss aside from the ball being off Duke was the block call with like four minutes left where the Wiscy guy got elbowed in the face.

the what now?

That was a block. Dude's feet were moving like Fred Flintstone.

Duke does get the calls and always has. I will say Kaminsky should've been whistled for an intentional when he bear hugged Okafor.

I think what disturbs me the most is that replay. It was clear as day that it went off Duke but somehow it's Duke ball. They go down and bury a three. Game essentially over at that point. Between that and the shot clock call against Kentucky that should've been reviewed, it makes you wonder why the hell they even have replay.

Winslow also got fouled trying to rebound the ball, and Refs missed that. So, the out of bounds decision should have been moot.

How is this any different than the last 20+ years? Bad officiating has been part of college basketball for decades, it isn't going to change. It is a part of the game that needs to be taken into account by coaches in their gameplan, no different than bad 3-point shooting nights or slow defensive nights; the coaches who adjust to it better from game to game often win. And Duke getting the majority of the calls when it counts isn't going to change while K is around either. The teams like Mercer and Lehigh who just don't give a fuck seem to do better understanding that and playing through it than some of the more elite teams that are used to being the ones getting the calls themselves.

Tyus Jones kicked his leg out after launching that 3 at the end of the game to draw contact. No foul.

On just about every dribble penetration, Grayson Allen used his off hand (left) to swat at the defender, shield himself, and created contact with it. Its a bush league move and I would smack some dude if he pulled that shit every time in a pickup game.

eta:

Winslow was a bull in a China shop last night.

Last edited:
Tyus Jones kicked his leg out after launching that 3 at the end of the game to draw contact. No foul.

On just about every dribble penetration, Grayson Allen used his off hand (left) to swat at the defender, shield himself, and created contact with it. Its a bush league move and I would smack some dude if he pulled that shit every time in a pickup game.

eta:

Winslow was a bull in a China shop last night.

While I totally agree with you that it's illegal, I don't think he's the only one that does it. Everyone seems to create the space this way and it's infuriating. Same complaint with moving screens.

All of this bitching about Duke and officiating neglects to remember that the last five minutes Duke played fabulous and Wisconsin played tight. I think if Duke had played Kentucky, Wisky would have won. They were worn down. Duke took advantage. They were the better team when it counted last night. Don't like 'em, but I'm not going to blame their victory on officials. And while I'm at it, lost a lot of respect for Bo Ryan for doing just that. And his rent a player comment was classless. Wanted them to win, hey it cost me $300, but lose with grace, even when you know it's probably the last time you will be there.

Bottom line: Basketball has become a shitty game that is impossible to officiate.....and it's not going to get any better. They've let players get away with too much for too long.

Here's the last word...again. /thread

Lots of just plain sour grapes on here. If K was our coach, and we had just won a 5th national title, everyone on this board would line up to blow him in front of Wait Chapel.

Duke should've been playing Wisconsin Saturday, not last night. When Duke cruised over Michigan St and KY and Wisconsin beat the shit out of each other for 40 minutes you knew who was going to have more in the tank for the stretch last night and that played out exactly as we thought.

Do some of you live outside of this message board? There is a HUGE discussion in the national media regarding just how out of hand college basketball has become with respect to rules, officiating and disregard of many of existing rules.

Duke won. Fair enough. But to summarily dismiss ANY debate regarding just how shitty college basketball officiating has become and to ignore the FACT that poor officiating DID have an impact on last night's game is really just putting your head
about 10 miles up your ass.

This was a horrendous final four with respect to officiating and IT IS BEING DISCUSSED. Get out more and try listening to discussion beyond hearing yourselves type on this board.

Bottom line: Basketball has become a shitty game that is impossible to officiate.....and it's not going to get any better. They've let players get away with too much for too long.

Thanks in large part to your boy's boy.

Lots of just plain sour grapes on here. If K was our coach, and we had just won a 5th national title, everyone on this board would line up to blow him in front of Wait Chapel.

Meh.
What's been said here is flat-out true. Sorry if you don't like it.

Coach K blows ghost loads

Now, Coach Buzz? He blew a load like Peter North.

Smallish pecker, huge blast.

He used to brag about the Arabian goggles he'd give Nina.

She'd wake up the next morning thinking she had pink eye.

Back