• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2011 Chicago Cubs Thread

Facing Gallardo today though, could make getting the win a tough task. It would be really nice if we could chase him after 5 or 6 with a high pitch count.

I know everyone is watching the Master but the Cubbies just took a 5-4 lead over the Brewers in the 7th. Colvin got a groundout RBI to take the lead.

The rubber match is on WGN HD.

Too early to say the Matt Garza trade is a bust? He hasn't looked good at all, lots of hits, lots of balls over the plate. 12 2/3 innings, 20 hits, 8 earned....

I think Quade has a bit of Dusty Baker in him - trotting Dempster back out there in the 7th with 102 pitch count. Almost lead to a loss.

I think Quade has a bit of Dusty Baker in him - trotting Dempster back out there in the 7th with 102 pitch count. Almost lead to a loss.

Our bullpen has been very shaky. Dempster was pitching well...should have left him in.

Our bullpen has been very shaky. Dempster was pitching well...should have left him in.

He had clearly lost it in the 5th, but yea, aside from the Marshall/Wood/Marmol 7/8/9 string (which Quade only breaks out when we have a lead going into the 7th, and even then, he can't do it every day), the pen pretty much blows. Grabow is awful, Shark shouldn't be in the majors, and Russell--who's been pretty decent the last season plus--is now our a starter.

Dempster's always been a high pitch-count guy; high strikeout totals, erratic walk rate, and (as we saw last night) declining control after 4 or 5 winnings.

I still generally like Quade overall, at least more so than idiot Lou Piniella.

Not to play devils advocate, but he had just loaded the bases in the 6th, after walking back to back hitters - he had something like 25-30 pitches in the 6th and was looking gassed, got lucky to induce the ground ball for the final out.

We had 4 pitchers in the pen who hadn't pitched in at least two days - I get that Smardjzaza sucks, but if you are going to keep him on the team and pretend that he could one day be a starter, you have to give him a shot or demote him. Put him out in the 7th, then you have Marshall/Grabow/Marmol to bring you home.

Cubs win 1-0 on a walk-off hit by Colvin in the 10th. Big Z pitched a helluva game for the Cubbies. Big win for us to start this homestand.

Cubs win 1-0 on a walk-off hit by Colvin in the 10th. Big Z pitched a helluva game for the Cubbies. Big win for us to start this homestand.

Z has been $$$$ early on this season. Also liked the 2 strike bunt from Pena to get on base when the defense had the huge shift on.

Crazy standings right now in the Central

2zsodgz.jpg

The Cubs have been 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6, 7-7 and are now 8-8 this season.

Bizarre.

What worries me is that we haven't played anyone good yet. The pirates & brewcrew both have .500 records, but not sure either is going to be any good come middle/end of the year. The Dbacks & stros are trash, the padres have no hitting - the only good team we played, the Rockies, we lost 2/3.

I guess it could be a good sign too, since it looks like there may only be a couple of decent teams in the NL this year. All we need to do is beat out the reds, and not worry about anything else. Getting Cashner & Wells back well really help - I dont even want to start thinking whats going to happen if we have to call up Doug Davis or Ramon Ortiz.

Just saw that we are starting Russell again tonite - get ready for some fireworks. The padres highest run output this year is 11, which is the same amount the astros scored last time Russell pitched (he only gave up 5 of the runs in 1 2/3).

Fuld>Garza

It isn't even close, really.

Where the hell did Fuld come from? I mean, I know he had all this promise a couple of years ago, but he never made it up except for the September call ups. Now he is blazing a trail (literally) as the Rays lead off hitter?

I liked Garza when he was with the Twins, fiery guy, reminded me of Zambrano - he still reminds me of Zambrano, just pre-counseling 2010 Zambrano.

Garza with 18 pitches in the 1st - but 3 Ks. Lets see if the offense can put some runs on the board for him.

Back