• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2014-15 MLB Offseason/HOT STOVE Thread

You're right -- LeBron has a dramatically larger impact on the game than Jon Lester, which is why his wins above replacement is dramatically higher. And that's also why it's kind of crazy that John Lester gets a higher salary than LeBron, which is what I was pointing out.

It's a different game with different matters of importance and salaries.

You also have to factor the caps. In baseball you don't reach the Luxury Tax until you spend $189M. The salary cap in basketball is about $63-65M (I think). f basketball had a similar cap, Lebron could be at $75M.

Everything about these sports are different, Trying to make any linear comparison is foolhardy.

MLBN is live from the Winter Meetings basically all day and regularly interviewing current and former front office executives who describe their evaluation process. They have continually made reference to their traditional scouting and analytics groups. I don't really want to have this argument again (although it is better than the NBA salary structure) but they are referencing these public parlor game measures in addition to proprietary ones they have been creating for themselves, RJ.

rj's a below replacement level poster.

Actually I calculate him at 3.1 fWAR and 2.9 bWAR.

Sure, he strikes out a lot. Way too much, in fact. His approach at the plate is god awful. He has never seen a pitch he didn't like. And we can argue til we're blue in the face about whether or not he's a "team cancer" or bad in the clubhouse. You're forgetting the few things he does really, really well though that get lost in the shuffle because of all the statistical noise that's bound to come from 20k terrible posts. rjkarl knows the ponies and he is a great storyteller. Those two tools alone put him above replacement. He's also generally right about basketball talent evaluation, even if, once again, his approach is gawdawful. Way too much eye test and #fuckstats.

You ignore Freddie Freeman's -2 defensive WAR because he is an affable white dude who gets on base and his offensive numbers are pretty nice. You gotta look past the glaring flaws in rj's game here, phan.

Cubs supposedly now in the market for a big bat since they think they can compete (I still think 2016 is gonna be the first real option). Not sure what options are left with bats - guessing Headley or Kang or maybe look to trade one of their MIF glut for someone.

Jonathan Bernhart wants Hamels instead.

The Case for Cole

Rube has to be jumping up and down - the Lester deal makes the return for Hamels even better (if he can trade him). Getting Bundy+ or Gausman+ would be a solid building block for the Phils, just load up for 2017 when they get Howard off the books.

Cubs supposedly now in the market for a big bat since they think they can compete (I still think 2016 is gonna be the first real option). Not sure what options are left with bats - guessing Headley or Kang or maybe look to trade one of their MIF glut for someone.

If you're looking for a big bat, not sure Headley is the answer.

Rizzo, Alcantara, Soler, Almora, Vogelbach, Castro, Schwarber, Bryant, Russell, Baez not big enough bats for them? By 2016 a lot of those guys will be ready to rock. I'm no GM, but I'd be focusing on more pitching (starting and pen) if I were the Cubs.

Amaro needs an actual willing trade partner to move Hamels this offseason. Someone who would move young, cost-controlled assets that can actually help Philadelphia long term, unlike the Boston Pu pu platter.

Rizzo, Alcantara, Soler, Almora, Vogelbach, Castro, Schwarber, Bryant, Russell, Baez not big enough bats for them? By 2016 a lot of those guys will be ready to rock. I'm no GM, but I'd be focusing on more pitching (starting and pen) if I were the Cubs.

If the Cubs had this team in their primes (and a DH), they would find a way to lose:

Rickey Henderson DH
Rogers Hornsby 2B
Babe Ruth RF
Mike Schmidt 3B
Lou Gherig 1B
Ted Williams LF
Ken Griffey, Jr. CF
Ernie Banks SS he played over 1100 games at SS and is Mr. Cub
Roy Campanella C his OPS was .043 higher than Bench in spite of missing several prime years in Negro League

Sandy Koufax SP
Bob Gibson SP
Randy Johnson SP
Steve Carlton SP
Walter Johnson SP

By 2016 how many will wash out?

Roy Campanella C his OPS was .043 higher than Bench in spite of missing several prime years in Negro League

Kind of a parlor trick though. OPS has always been a bad predictor of post-death zombie ball performances.

JRoll traded to the Dodgers and I am so sad.

If you're looking for a big bat, not sure Headley is the answer.

Agreed - but nothing else is really on the market unless they are going after rickie weeks or nori aoki or Mark Reynolds.

Wouldn't mind seeing them make the Alcantara+ for Gordon swap with the Royals.

JRoll traded to the Dodgers and I am so sad.

Supposedly the Dodgers are also looking at Utley and Hamels, and they just got a bunch of good assets from the Marlins - who seem to have no idea what they are doing.

Back