• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official 2014 NFC South Champion Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that Jerry has more info on the matter that justifies letting Hardy play

So you sit him for 6 games on the inactive list, he still gets almost a million a game. Then he's found guilty in the jury trial. Does the NFL then suspend him another 6 games?

Or even worse, he's then found innocent in the jury trial. Oops.

I wonder if Leyritz would be saying different things if this was a Giant.

And oh by the way, the answer to that is yes

Did this case automatically get tried in front of a judge first? From everything I've read about the case and the underlying facts, this seems like an area where I would have wanted a jury if I were Hardy.

Did this case automatically get tried in front of a judge first? From everything I've read about the case and the underlying facts, this seems like an area where I would have wanted a jury if I were Hardy.

Automatic Benchtrial for misdemeanor in NC is what I've heard. Not a lawyer so feel free to correct

Do misdemeanor DV cases routinely get appealed to the Supreme Court?

And a little disingenuous to compare what the Dolphins did with an old WR on a small contract and what the Panthers are doing with Hardy.

Why? The punishment should vary depending on who it is? And I don't think they have to cut him, but they can at least bench him to show some acknowledgement of his conviction.

Why? The punishment should vary depending on who it is? And I don't think they have to cut him, but they can at least bench him to show some acknowledgement of his conviction.

Why would we bench him when he's going to have an actual punishment later on?

This whole thing is idiotic. Should the original punishment for DV convictions been more than two games? Yes absolutely, but similar with the Ray Rice incident (and it was an appalling act) the rules are in place and those are the rules. Hardy and Rice should both have two game suspensions. I realize that the two cases are different (Rice was actually given a two game suspension and now the NFL has lost their minds because they screwed up in the first place meanwhile Hardy hasn't undergone the "punishment" phase yet through the NFL) but I think the sentencing guidelines should be based on what the rules/laws were when you committed the offense and went through subsequent proceedings.

These guys have done dumb shit but you don't retroactively change rules that you don't agree with to hook guys after the fact, it's ridiculous. And I would say this even if Hardy weren't involved. The Rice incident is indefensible from every aspect - Rice's actions, the NFL's actions, etc.

I don't think the retroactive punishment matters in this instance. It is an employer-issued punishment for committing a crime that reflects bad on the team/league, not a punishment for in-sport activity (banned substances) that is fabricated by the sport for competitive reasons. It isn't like Hardy would say "well shit, when I tried to kill her I thought I was only going to get 2 games, but now that it is 6 I wouldn't have done it". The 2 games wasn't set in stone, just like the Pats cutting Hernandez without a conviction wasn't set in stone. It is a PR game, and the Panthers look like fucking morons at the moment given the Rice fiasco.

It did, he was convicted. Should they wait 4 years for him to continue to push it up all levels of appeal to the Supreme Court?
Miami cut Ochocinco for a similar offense right when he was charged.

Ocho was getting cut anyway. The arrest just gave them reason to do it immediately and "take the high road."

So the Panthers and NFL are supposed to wait because Mike Florio thinks that North Carolina's legal process is "convoluted"? WTF? Tell it to the damn legislature, or the other thousands of citizens who go through that same legal system every year.

The NFL always waits until the legal process is completed and that includes the appeals process which I believe for a bench trial is fairly routine. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the NFL has even suspended Aaron Hernandez yet because he has yet to be convicted.

What the Panthers are doing is consistent with what every other team in the NFL does which is wait for the legal process to be completed. Succumbing to media and public pressure to suspend him now sets a bad precedent and would be some reactionary bullshit.

Note: I believe the Panthers should have sat him for the first two games of the season, but now that that opportunity has passed they need to continue with the plan they originally set forth. Nothing in the Hardy case has changed and it is far from an open and shut case.

Um, they cut Ochocinco because the amount of his distraction was not worth his value as a player. He might not have even made that team. It has nothing to do with some stance against DV. If Cameron Wake was charged they sure as hell aren't cutting him the day after he was charged.

I'm OK with the punishment from the employer varying depending on who it is. The punishment from the courts or the league shouldn't vary depending on who it is.

It is a PR game, and the Panthers look like fucking morons at the moment given the Rice fiasco.

The scrutiny is only going to get worse with Pittsburgh coming into town next Sunday for a primetime NBC game and going to Baltimore in Week 4.

The scrutiny is only going to get worse with Pittsburgh coming into town next Sunday for a primetime NBC game and going to Baltimore in Week 4.

Yeah, I guess that could keep the story alive. Generally I think it will die down the further we get from the video

The NFL always waits until the legal process is completed and that includes the appeals process which I believe for a bench trial is fairly routine. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the NFL has even suspended Aaron Hernandez yet because he has yet to be convicted.

What the Panthers are doing is consistent with what every other team in the NFL does which is wait for the legal process to be completed. Succumbing to media and public pressure to suspend him now sets a bad precedent and would be some reactionary bullshit.

Note: I believe the Panthers should have sat him for the first two games of the season, but now that that opportunity has passed they need to continue with the plan they originally set forth. Nothing in the Hardy case has changed and it is far from an open and shut case.

The league didn't suspend Hernandez (they didn't have to because he was in jail), but the Pats cut him when he was charged. The Eagles cut Desean Jackson and I don't think he was even charged with anything.

Do the Panthers have to suspend/cut him? No, they don't. But then don't complain when you get lumped in with the Cowboys, Bengals, Ravens, and Raiders in terms of public perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back