• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I had a great half in Richmond on Saturday. I thought 1:49:59 (about 20 second PR) was best possible case scenario, since I hadn't really trained for this. I mean, I've been running but only about 30-35 miles a week with no speed work or anything specific. Managed to gut out a 1:46 half, which is a 4 minute PR for me. I was so surprised! Yay!

Also, successfully taking 4 minutes off my half makes it sound way more doable to take 8 minutes off my full marathon in March when I go (again) for sub-4. And I'm even going to train intentionally for that marathon.

I had a great half in Richmond on Saturday. I thought 1:49:59 (about 20 second PR) was best possible case scenario, since I hadn't really trained for this. I mean, I've been running but only about 30-35 miles a week with no speed work or anything specific. Managed to gut out a 1:46 half, which is a 4 minute PR for me. I was so surprised! Yay!

Also, successfully taking 4 minutes off my half makes it sound way more doable to take 8 minutes off my full marathon in March when I go (again) for sub-4. And I'm even going to train intentionally for that marathon.

congrats RTQ that's bigtime. F sub-4, with that time for a half go big, sub-3:50!!!

I need to register for a spring race so I can get out of the post-Colorado funk I've been in. Just general laziness on the colder mornings and not heading out. Looks like the 5th year in a row running the HAT 50K, which has become a big party weekend for my friends and I. I'll take it.

congrats RTQ that's bigtime. F sub-4, with that time for a half go big, sub-3:50!!!

I need to register for a spring race so I can get out of the post-Colorado funk I've been in. Just general laziness on the colder mornings and not heading out. Looks like the 5th year in a row running the HAT 50K, which has become a big party weekend for my friends and I. I'll take it.

thanks!! and haha don't put pie in the sky goals in front of me... 3:59:59 is what I'll be going for unless something happens in my training to indicate I should try for faster. My friend is pacing the 4-hour group so that should be helpful. :)

Come run Columbia SC with us!

That's probably the line of thinking that led me to think my 1:40 half PR would be able to do sub-3:50 without a problem.

thanks!! and haha don't put pie in the sky goals in front of me... 3:59:59 is what I'll be going for unless something happens in my training to indicate I should try for faster. My friend is pacing the 4-hour group so that should be helpful. :)

Come run Columbia SC with us!

When is Columbia?

That's probably the line of thinking that led me to think my 1:40 half PR would be able to do sub-3:50 without a problem.

It's a tricky mindset. However, I think it's different for RTQ as she has so much marathon experience which plays a huge role. Wasn't yours the first 26.2 you had done?

And also, go big or go home. No fear.

It's a tricky mindset. However, I think it's different for RTQ as she has so much marathon experience which plays a huge role. Wasn't yours the first 26.2 you had done?

Yeah, it was. That was definitely a lot of the issue. I assumed that because I'm a pretty good half runner, I'd be a pretty good full runner. As everyone else knows, it's a way different race. Without the stomach issues, I think I could've broken 4 though. It just wouldn't have been as easy as I thought it would be.

On another note, anyone here use Zwift? I have a trainer coming in this week and am going to sign up.

Yeah, it was. That was definitely a lot of the issue. I assumed that because I'm a pretty good half runner, I'd be a pretty good full runner. As everyone else knows, it's a way different race. Without the stomach issues, I think I could've broken 4 though. It just wouldn't have been as easy as I thought it would be.

On another note, anyone here use Zwift? I have a trainer coming in this week and am going to sign up.

I used to; it's great. Lots of folks on my cycling team use it. I no longer have a compatible trainer so that's why I don't anymore.

Congrats! Have to agree with Hawk here, if you just ran 1:46 and you "hadn't really trained" then if you train properly for a full you should absolutely be expecting to run in the 3:45-3:50 range.

I always start a marathon with tiered goals that are usually something like this:
Don't die or get seriously injured
Finish
Have fun
Modest time goal
Reasonable time goal/PR
Reach time goal

adjust on the fly as needed. I am geared more toward shorter distance but even for me double my half plus 20 mins is way too much absent something going seriously wrong.

Columbia is so cheap, I'm in for at least the half next year.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

That is not my strava.

How did it go SteelCity? It was a perfect day for running IMO
Had a great time. One of the best athletic experiences I've had. Thanks for the heads up! The final mile or so was quite the challenge, but it was awesome running uphill toward the finish line. Did you end up running it?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Had a great time. One of the best athletic experiences I've had. Thanks for the heads up! The final mile or so was quite the challenge, but it was awesome running uphill toward the finish line. Did you end up running it?

I did end up running and exceeded my own expectations and would agree with the way you put that. I had a few minute PR and really suprised myself.

How'd you do?

I did end up running and exceeded my own expectations and would agree with the way you put that. I had a few minute PR and really suprised myself.

How'd you do?

I did pretty well for my first one, I thought. Negative split every 5 mile mark, though I tend to run conservatively early on then finish faster. How about you?

I'm trying to decide if I want to do the Tobacco Road Marathon (in Cary) next March. Some coworkers are doing it, but they're trying to qualify for Boston, so they're out of my league.

I did pretty well for my first one, I thought. Negative split every 5 mile mark, though I tend to run conservatively early on then finish faster. How about you?

I'm trying to decide if I want to do the Tobacco Road Marathon (in Cary) next March. Some coworkers are doing it, but they're trying to qualify for Boston, so they're out of my league.

I've only run the half, but the course for Tobacco Road isn't really great. Lots of out and back greenway running. Trail gets really crowded.

Just had to look up your time - very impressive, especially for your first marathon!

NICE! That is not how most people run marathons, many go too hard and then hemorrage time the last 10k, great work! If you are already thinking about another one, that is a good sign. Also, never say never about Boston, it took me years but I took an hour off my first marathon time and ended up qualifying for Boston. Greatest sporting event I have ever participated in, by FAR!

As to Tobacco Road, I love that race. I haven't done it in years so maybe it is more crowded now but it is flat and you can choose between hard pack trail and aspalt. I think it is a runners race and a good PR course. My wife has her PR there.

I don't necessarily love the Charlotte (Thunder Road) Marathon but I may have to now. I ran the race of my life there and had an unexpected 5+ min PR and picked up some hardware. Very good day.

nice morning about 30 degrees or so. Perfect temp for me for winter gear. The upper 30/lower 40 temps are always trickier getting the layering just right. I'm a notorious overdresser too so that's always fun to deal with

nice morning about 30 degrees or so. Perfect temp for me for winter gear. The upper 30/lower 40 temps are always trickier getting the layering just right. I'm a notorious overdresser too so that's always fun to deal with

I'm good down to 30F with a long sleeve shirt and tights. I wish I would've worn a buff to cover my ears instead of a regular hat though.

The Cherry Blossom 10 Miler was the hardest run I've ever dressed for. It was in the 40s with sustained 20mph winds, gusting to 50mph. I put on a jacket because when the wind was blowing, you really needed it. When the wind died down, I had to unzip almost all the way.

Debating adding a 50 miler to the spring schedule (along with the 50K I do every March). Decisions decisions.

Back