• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

You need some blackout curtains in their bedroom. I put some in my daughter's room, primarily because it gets full afternoon sun and raises the temp five or six degrees in her room. The nice offshoot is that the sun no longer wakes her up.

+1 - with this, my 7 year old will sleep until 8:30 on the weekends

Also, dudes, if y'all have tips for brushing a 2.5 year old's teeth, by all means share. Sometimes it goes okay, but most of the time he hates it and it is like he is being tortured. He reacts accordingly.

We have 2 kinds of toothpaste and letting e choose Dora or Thomas helps. Also he is responsible for taking the toothbrush cover off his toothbrush and I let him practice spitting and also let him rinse by putting his head under the faucet. He says "I don't like it" as I brush but I just say "I know, we're almost done." I think making the brushing the smallest part of the whole ritual is a huge help.

Also, dudes, if y'all have tips for brushing a 2.5 year old's teeth, by all means share. Sometimes it goes okay, but most of the time he hates it and it is like he is being tortured. He reacts accordingly.

My wife (a dentist) told our kid that there are sugar bugs in his mouth after he eats, so he has to brush to get them out. That has seemed to work as he likes to brush his teeth, and also helps when we tell him he can't have any more juice or whatever because there are too many sugar bugs in it.

My wife (a dentist) told our kid that there are sugar bugs in his mouth after he eats, so he has to brush to get them out. That has seemed to work as he likes to brush his teeth, and also helps when we tell him he can't have any more juice or whatever because there are too many sugar bugs in it.

this sounds like it might have some lasting scarring effects.

this sounds like it might have some lasting scarring effects.

sugar+bugs.jpg

Use a timer. It is probably more effective once they start brushing on their own, but it could help if they have something to focus on to show them when they will be done. My daughter had a tea timer for a while, but later replaced it with a stopwatch she picked up somewhere. She is absolutely intent on brushing for the full two minutes and she gets a kick out of seeing how long overall she has brushed for (she doesn't reset the timer when she is done).

Meh, so does everything else. If it means he will stop whining and brush his teeth, I'll take it.

Totally fair; I'm sure I'll do all kinds of stuff like this for the sake of having an answer to 'why.'

We have 2 kinds of toothpaste and letting e choose Dora or Thomas helps. Also he is responsible for taking the toothbrush cover off his toothbrush and I let him practice spitting and also let him rinse by putting his head under the faucet. He says "I don't like it" as I brush but I just say "I know, we're almost done." I think making the brushing the smallest part of the whole ritual is a huge help.

+1 this is what we do

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Giving them as much choice (which toothpaste - do you want to wet the toothbrush or do you want me to do it, etc) helps. There is also some kid centric mouthwash type stuff (non fluoride) that temporarily "stains" their teeth, then they have to brush it off - makes it kind of a game an helps them see what spots they are missing. Worked with one of ours - the other two couldn't care less about it.

Wife's out of town for 2 days for work, so this is my first experiment handling both kids solo. Survive and advance.

Satan's totally like, "you got this, man. You can do it."

The morning is the toughest logistically just because I'm trying to get ready for work, while at the same time I've got the infant who may or may not need to eat that early and the boy waking up anytime between 6:30 and 7:30. The part I'm dreading though is overnight tonight, because the infant is is still unpredictable with night feedings, so there is no telling when or how often I will have to feed her in the middle of the night. Unlike my wife I can't just slap her on a titty and let her go to town while I doze...I'm gonna have to get up and heat up a bottle and all that crap.

pray_for_mojo.png

Wife's out of town for 2 days for work, so this is my first experiment handling both kids solo. Survive and advance.

I'll one-up you. My wife and I volunteered to babysit our friends' two kids (5 and 7) for the afternoon/night while they're out of town. Well it ends up it's a day my wife has a work things till about 7:30. So I'm handling four kids (21 mo, 4, 5, 7) by myself for about 5 hours.

My 3 month old just rolled over (back to front) twice. Booyah!

Back