• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

My 3 month old just rolled over (back to front) twice. Booyah!

Don't get too excited...that's the first step to mobility. Now you can't leave him on the bed alone anymore!

My Bug just turned 11 months today and she is straight up crazy and so fast. She's been crawling since 6 months so she is super speedy and is taking a few steps (which actually slows her down). Can't turn your head or she's by the cat food, by the dogs water bowl, playing with the dogs antler, trying to climb the stairs, etc.

Exhausting...and I only have 1. I feel for your multi kid parents.

Your dog has antlers?

e9u8ytut.jpg

Mrs tim and I are joining this club in the fall. Anyone wanna give some recommendations on strollers and car seats?

We're thinking about getting a travel system (or at least same brand that clicks together even if it's not sold as a package). Does it make more sense to do that so we hopefully have a stroller that lasts beyond just infant stage or to do a convertible car seat so we don't have to update the car seat as soon?

We've had a couple friends recommend Chicco. Anyone with good or bad experiences with Chicco?

Mrs tim and I are joining this club in the fall. Anyone wanna give some recommendations on strollers and car seats?

We're thinking about getting a travel system (or at least same brand that clicks together even if it's not sold as a package). Does it make more sense to do that so we hopefully have a stroller that lasts beyond just infant stage or to do a convertible car seat so we don't have to update the car seat as soon?

We've had a couple friends recommend Chicco. Anyone with good or bad experiences with Chicco?

I asked a similar question in post #576 if you want to read the responses that I received and then see what other questions you may have.

Mr Cali and I are also joining this club in the fall and I have been doing a lot of stroller research. It seems that most of the strollers that come as the travel system aren't that great if you plan on walking any lengthy amounts or going on dirt or anything other than paved.

The current leader for us is the Baby Jogger City Select. It's not for jogging but good for everything else. Has an adjustable handle which is nice if you are tall. We are planning to get the Chicco Keyfit car seat and will get the adapter for the stroller.

All the nice strollers have adapters for the Chicco car seats. Go to a Buy Buy Baby or Babies R Us if you can to test a bunch of the strollers out. Prepare to be overwhelmed with the options. The sales people at Buy Buy Baby in my experience have been amazingly knowledgeable about the different stroller features and aren't pushy at all.

Buy buy baby is worlds better than BRus. Graco is straight #psf so you don't want that. We've been happy with our city jogger plus britax seat.

Thanks awake. I figured this had been discussed already at least once in the thread. Looks like a lot of votes for BOB, Maclaren, Bugaboo, and Baby Jogger - so I'll research all of these a lot more.

A friend has already offered their Chicco frame stroller. I'm kinda inclined to take that and not even worry with a "real stroller" until Tim Jr can sit in something besides the infant car seat anyway. Figure we'll have a lot better idea what we want at that point compared to now. But I think Mrs Tim is going to want to go ahead at get some kind of stroller now (if for no other reason than that someone else will get it for us at a shower).

So many different options for everything...and everyone has am opinion! Also different things work better for different families.

I highly recommend picking up a copy of Baby Bargains and also signing up for Lucies List (or at least reading her website). Between those two sources and talking to friends I felt like I had some good advice and comparisons (at least on paper) for many items ( not just strollers and car seats).

Ps- FWIW I'm not sure I know anyone who bought one of the "travel systems." Granted I live in an urban environment so that may make a difference, but most of my friends had a snap in stroller frame, a jogging stroller, and then later an umbrella stroller (some skipped the snap and just used an adapter for the jogger or mostly carried/wore the baby)

Buy Buy Baby is the place to be when prepping for #1. Also, they'll do new parents days on random Saturday mornings IIRC where everything is 20% off or something. It was pretty clutch. It's also great for people watching - dads losing their shit left and right.

I'll just throw in the Britax B-Agile for a good buy. We've loved it thus far (but let's be honest, I don't really have anything to compare it to). It moves easily and folds up easily. We did the Chicco Keyfit 30 with adapter to fit the stroller, which has worked great. We live in a very walk-able community, so we're doing 1-2 mile walks most nice days to get groceries and dinner and stuff and haven't had a problem. I will say we've never jogged with it (my wife got a hand-me-down jogging stroller but I can't remember if she's used it or what it's called).

We just came off a 2-week scare of baby #2. Took 3-4 pregnancy tests, which all came back negative. Wife finally got the call down low the other day, which was a relief. Finding out you're pregnant when you already have a 6-month old would have been a dagger.

LOL why is Google saying that there is a Buy Buy Baby in Scales on campus?

Did those of you with multiple kids change to a double stroller when you had your second?

No. Just the double jogger. Mine are 18 months apart.

LOL why is Google saying that there is a Buy Buy Baby in Scales on campus?

Did those of you with multiple kids change to a double stroller when you had your second?

No, I really never saw the point unless the kids were pretty close in age. Outside of Disney World, I don't think my son has used a stroller since he was 2 - 2.5.

I feel like people make strollers a way more important deal than they are. For nice, long walks and no jogging, get a nice full-size stroller. If you're jogging, get a jogging one. You should probably have an umbrella one for ease of use when traveling or for tighter spots.

Car seats: for an infant, get a britax with a couple bases and you can easily carry in/out. For older, buy the appropriate size britax or whatever good brand for age/weight/ length. I get why people fret about car seats though.

We went Britax all the way on car seats.

Same. The City strollers have an adapter that you can snap the Britax (and maybe other brands?) seat right into for when the baby is too small to sit up in a stroller. AWAR if you end up with one you can have our adapter. I think they are like 30 bucks.

No, I really never saw the point unless the kids were pretty close in age. Outside of Disney World, I don't think my son has used a stroller since he was 2 - 2.5.

I feel like people make strollers a way more important deal than they are. For nice, long walks and no jogging, get a nice full-size stroller. If you're jogging, get a jogging one. You should probably have an umbrella one for ease of use when traveling or for tighter spots.

Car seats: for an infant, get a britax with a couple bases and you can easily carry in/out. For older, buy the appropriate size britax or whatever good brand for age/weight/ length. I get why people fret about car seats though.

Not sure I get this. You're saying people make strollers more important than they are, but recommend getting 3 different strollers for 3 different situations.

Mine are almost 2 and almost 5 and we have a City Mini double stroller. We use it anywhere we are doing a lot of walking like Disney World. It's very agile, fits through any door, and has good storage space. You can buy hooks and baskets for it as well.

Back