• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

I'm always a little surprised by the number of posters whose wives stay at home. It shouldn't be considering that's the case for the majority of my Wake friends, even those who married Wake grads.

I should have married a doctor or some shit so I could stay at home.

Wait until the kids get a little older...or you have 3 kids, and a puppy. Trying to get the 7 year old to do her homework, 4 year old is exhausted from preschool and playing all afternoon, never naps anymore, and wants to watch some effing Peppa Pig while snacking and ruining her dinner, 11 month old is tired and hungry and/or wants to nurse and/or get into everything in every cabinet in the kitchen, and the puppy just took a shit in the den during the ten second my wife turned her back. Most days my wife handles all of this like an absolute champ, but once every week or two I get the "my head is going to explode if you are not home in 10 minutes" text message.

I hear ya. I only have 2 kids, 11 and 6 (and no pets)…BUT they are still easier now then when they were younger or toddlers. Man, those were tough times….Sending them to school is a wonderful thing. I can't imagine those people that home school….

I hear ya. I only have 2 kids, 11 and 6 (and no pets)…BUT they are still easier now then when they were younger or toddlers. Man, those were tough times….Sending them to school is a wonderful thing. I can't imagine those people that home school….

The magic years. They can walk, talk, take care of themselves. They have personalities and are usually fun to hang with. They can tell you what's wrong and where it hurts. And they still think you're cool. Once that 11 year old hits middle school, it all goes south. Enjoy it while it lasts

The magic years. They can walk, talk, take care of themselves. They have personalities and are usually fun to hang with. They can tell you what's wrong and where it hurts. And they still think you're cool. Once that 11 year old hits middle school, it all goes south. Enjoy it while it lasts

Sweet. That is next year for me. She is already starting to get a little teen in her. Yuck.

I'm actually really enjoying the 10-11/mo stage. Granted, she never wants to sleep at night and screams in the middle of the night since teeth are coming in, but she's definitely a lot of fun right now.

I'm actually really enjoying the 10-11/mo stage. Granted, she never wants to sleep at night and screams in the middle of the night since teeth are coming in, but she's definitely a lot of fun right now.

Yeah, we're at 16 months. Ours does sleep well though. My biggest beef right now is the 2 naps a day, which makes it a pain to try to go anywhere or do anything. But she's such a goofball.

Granted, I am looking forward to when she can do stuff for herself and can talk. That'll be nice.

Yeah, we're at 16 months. Ours does sleep well though. My biggest beef right now is the 2 naps a day, which makes it a pain to try to go anywhere or do anything. But she's such a goofball.

Granted, I am looking forward to when she can do stuff for herself and can talk. That'll be nice.

I'll take "things first time parents say" for $1000, Alec.

No doubt. But as spot said, there are some bonuses when they can tell you what's wrong/hurt, do some things for themselves, say stupid things, etc. :noidea:

Oh I know. I was just poking fun. They are all cool ages for differnt reasons. Like most things, you want what you dont have (or in this case know). Once they start talking and walking and running, they dont stop :eek:

We were like this with our first child as well, but our third, who is now 11 months old, never naps at the same time or place any day. She can nap in the crib at home, in her car seat, in the stroller, in the baby Bjorn will my wife is walking around the grocery store, in her pack and play, etc. Some days it is one long nap, sometimes it is three short naps. Don't let the "nap schedule" stop you from living your life.

First night in the new house last night- I get it, but really screwed with the toddler's sleep. Lots of coffee today.

I love 3, it's such a fun age. The 6 month old sleeps well but not for long enough stretches (he's up every 2-3 hours to nurse still (talking to the ped about that next week) and it's great to see him interact with his brother but for us 3 haa really been the best age so far.

Also, I thought I would like to stay home but the more I work the more I like working (when E was little I worked only 2- 3 days a week and then had the summer off). But we both make decent salaries and still both need to work. Maybe we spend more than a lot of people or maybe a lot of people are killing it salary wise but I can't imagine how that works.

Last edited:
Seriously, get a journal and write that stuff down, otherwise you forget it. We wish we had done that

Yeah, my mom did a good job of capturing a lot of my random sayings in my baby book, so it has been a goal of mine to try to do the same for my kid(s).

Back