• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

My son told a women at the grocery store that he like her hat (he was a little over 2 at the time). It was an afro style hairdo. She laughed her ass off.

I'm getting my Will together now since I'll be a dad and all. Anyone use Legalzoom?

Legalzoom is an awful idea and, in my experience, causes more problems than it fixes. You're talking about where your life's worth of material possessions and custody of your kids end up, it isn't something that you should be worried about saving a few hundred bucks on. The purpose of a Will is to accurately reflect your intentions and make things easier and less complicated when you are not around to handle them. Legalzoom docs often make everything harder (and of course you never even know it because you are dead when they apply), and your heirs end up spending significantly more of your money trying to fix the problems it creates than what you save by not just going to an estate planning attorney.

Legalzoom is an awful idea and, in my experience, causes more problems than it fixes. You're talking about where your life's worth of material possessions and custody of your kids end up, it isn't something that you should be worried about saving a few hundred bucks on. The purpose of a Will is to accurately reflect your intentions and make things easier and less complicated when you are not around to handle them. Legalzoom docs often make everything harder (and of course you never even know it because you are dead when they apply), and your heirs end up spending significantly more of your money trying to fix the problems it creates than what you save by not just going to an estate planning attorney.

so...should i use it or not?

I love 3, it's such a fun age. The 6 month old sleeps well but not for long enough stretches (he's up every 2-3 hours to nurse still (talking to the ped about that next week) and it's great to see him interact with his brother but for us 3 haa really been the best age so far.

Also, I thought I would like to stay home but the more I work the more I like working (when E was little I worked only 2- 3 days a week and then had the summer off). But we both make decent salaries and still both need to work. Maybe we spend more than a lot of people or maybe a lot of people are killing it salary wise but I can't imagine how that works.

As a guy that's not killing it, but will also have a stay-at-home spouse, I can only tell you that we couldn't afford to send her back to work. We'd lose at least $1k/month if she worked. Not that we can afford to not have her work either, but we really don't have a choice. Womp womp.

As a guy that's not killing it, but will also have a stay-at-home spouse, I can only tell you that we couldn't afford to send her back to work. We'd lose at least $1k/month if she worked. Not that we can afford to not have her work either, but we really don't have a choice. Womp womp.

Yeah I guess I make enough that daycare and gas are still worth it, and that's not always the case

Is that factoring your insurance premiums rising when you add her to your policy?

10620738_300231806848489_7333796625275739144_n.jpg

I'm getting my Will together now since I'll be a dad and all. Anyone use Legalzoom?

Assuming that you have a relatively simple family and financial situation, and do not anticipate having a estate in excess of the Federal estate tax threshold, you should be able to get a local lawyer to prepare an estate planning package for you (wills, POA, living will, etc.) for $500 or less. It will be better than what you get from LegalZoom and will take jurisdiction specific issues into consideration. Its certainly not brain surgery, but it is too important to rely on a form with no input from a local lawyer. If you are in NC I can probably recommend someone for you.

Timely: http://blog.petetheplanner.com/how-to-make-the-stay-at-home-v-daycare-decision

The good news is the decision, from a financial standpoint, is actually quite simple. Let's say the parent in question makes $2,000 a month and daycare is $1,000 a month. You either need to cut expenses to make room for the extra $1,000 spent each month on daycare or you need to cut expenses enough so you don't need the $2,000 a month in income. That's it. That's the crux of the stay-at-home debate from a financial perspective. - See more at: http://blog.petetheplanner.com/how-to-make-the-stay-at-home-v-daycare-decision#sthash.TaLUOg4v.dpuf

Assuming that you have a relatively simple family and financial situation, and do not anticipate having a estate in excess of the Federal estate tax threshold, you should be able to get a local lawyer to prepare an estate planning package for you (wills, POA, living will, etc.) for $500 or less. It will be better than what you get from LegalZoom and will take jurisdiction specific issues into consideration. Its certainly not brain surgery, but it is too important to rely on a form with no input from a local lawyer. If you are in NC I can probably recommend someone for you.

What Kitchin said (except the going rate in NC appears to be less than in Atlanta). You can do it right on the front end and spend a little more money or your wife and/or kids can spend even more money on the back end fixing what Legalzoom or any other form program screwed up. I've been involved in a lot of back end clean up and it is not fun.

ETA: just saw that 2&2 said basically the same thing. I don't agree with 2&2 on much of anything, so you know the advice is good :)

FB post from one of my friends about his 8ish year old son:

Adding to my father of the year resume. Upon hearing we are going to the store:
Boy: Fucking store!
‪#‎wherethefuckdoeshegetthisfrom

Random question. Have any of y'all ever bought slippers for your toddler? We have some socks with those little grippies on the bottom, but I kind of want something in between that and actual shoes for her to wear around the house while it's cold.

Back